ESA on LC

Dennis the Menace

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got the bike out yesterday, suspension for some reason was set on DYNA, last time I was on the bike it was on ROAD, set to ROAD and suspension not adjusting (does it default to DYAN if there is a problem)

Took to work today, clicking/crackling noise from bottom of front shock, took right hand panels off, radiator cowl off, expansion water bottle off there is a Plug, cable tied to the frame, the leed goes to the the bottom of the shock and possibly up to the mode button on the right hand side of the handle bar, disconnect the plug, noise stops, reconnect no noise, go through soft, medium, and hard (on left side of handle bar mode) can hear click,click,click but no adjustments, then crackling noise starts, disconnect reconnect noise stops then restarts
Anyone come across this before if so :comfort :hammer :natter:natter

4c0f29db4589398d9070a488bcbd035d.png
7054a6e6dec197ea4976ca79e3c9f636.png

So this is the wire you refer to Mr Menace?

Happy to provide a phone number so we can chat and be at our bikes at the same time and see what the bikes do?

PM me if you want to take me up on the offer and we can organise a time.

Hmm, not sure who you sent the PM to, but nothing received
:rob

there is a broken wire repair kit, certainly for the K44 K12GT's and RT's of the era which should apply to all ESA bikes I think

part # 83302152871

Any one know what the ESA shock sensor looks like and where it’s placed, couldn’t find one on the front shock, will look at the rear tomorrow, apparently if the sensor is dislodged/broken it gives the symptoms my bike is suffering from

Forgot to say the preload on the rear shock works ok in so much as the motor compresses the rear spring it’s just the damping which will not adjust
When I took the bike to the dealership they put it on the diagnostic test, but said they couldn’t work on the bike until the 31st of October

Some more searching, there are level sensors one fixed to the front wishbone and one to the rear swing arm, will see if they are pluged in and actuating, sensors are linked to the ESA module, which could have an effect on the damping

How did they become unplugged, worked loose then? Possibly from when the engine was replaced? My mate had his RT engine replaced, was touring France in July and the gear linkage fell off leaving him stranded. Fortunately he had BMW assistance....

Everything was plugged in as it was supposed to be, disconnected the level sensor connection plugs and connection rods, gave them a good clean, wagged the arms fully up and down, (they only move in a small ark when connected) used a small paint brush dipped in ACF to paint moving parts and plug pins, reconnected arms, removed damping plug connection on bottom of rear shock, on and off two/three times, same with plug connection on bottom of front shock, painted plug pins with ACF, damping was then working slowly at first ie changing helmets screen and soft, medium, hard screen, then got up to normal speed changing damping settings, so every thing is working as normal.

Back
Top Bottom