2018 gs with TFT display review

Try Settings, System Settings, Units. Options for miles/kms and mph/kmph.

Yes, it's on the menu on my GS. Can't see that the GSA would be any different. Also choice of units for temperature, pressure and consumption.

Yes, it's on the menu on my GS. Can't see that the GSA would be any different. Also choice of units for temperature, pressure and consumption.

Yep, I missed it, do you have a fuel display? Or just mileage to empty tank...

Mine was at the dealers yesterday, and dealer confirmed some TFT errors were reported at PDI. They never told me at hand over.

Yep, I missed it, do you have a fuel display? Or just mileage to empty tank...

Mine was at the dealers yesterday, and dealer confirmed some TFT errors were reported at PDI. They never told me at hand over.

In the settings you can add to the top line of the display. I have trip 1 mileage, miles till empty and also a normal fuel display with about 6 bars to depict full tank. Toggle between them using the up button.

In the settings you can add to the top line of the display. I have trip 1 mileage, miles till empty and also a normal fuel display with about 6 bars to depict full tank. Toggle between them using the up button.

Thanks, will add that to the list of TFT functions that doesnt work on my bike, I only have the miles till, the top line does not change on mine, even after a full reset and adding options for it.. roll on software update....

Have you guys forgotten why you ride bikes....?

Yep no doubt the tft display is full of Bugs. But the speedo and rev counter are readable. There are definitely issues with bluetooth, sometimes my speed limit shows and sometimes not. Sometimes i get phone connectivity bars and sometimes not even though its showing me battery status of phone. Restarting phone sometimes fixes this or the BMW app did not open. So the app and the display both need updates. Distance can be changed on display to MPH or KPH, no need for dealer. At top of screen you can toggle to view tyre pressure\ distance to empty, petrol guage etc. Big thumbs up to the tft. miles better than the analogue. I live in Spain and i have no issues whatsoever with sunshine on the screen and visibility. Only issue I have is the fact that i have to put up with the dealer to upgrade the TFT. My tft connects without issues to my bluetooth headphones as first rider. So bmw dealer half correct. If the wheel is supposed to control the volume, then that is the only bit that does not work. Also my lights are definitely a lot brighter than ones on my sold 2014 LC. They are superb. I presume these are different?

Maybe you should tell us why.

I ride for simplicity, just me and the bike, its' my "thing" and cannot be interrupted - simple - No complications or stress, it's a rush, a feeling of solitude - just me to blame if I fuck it all up........ the technology on these new bikes, the rider aids, TFT screens, pointless information, complication, integrated Crash Helmets, being able to answer the phone whilst riding - fuck all that - I just need a basic motorcycle to bring out the feelings I had at 16 when I rode for the first time - all that other stuff is just baggage and distraction.

You could choose to use only the info you require. Thats the beauty of this thing. The home screen is Speed, rev counter, petrol guage and temp. Techy type folk can use the extras such as media player. i for one like listening to a bit of music when i ride. I have my phone mounted where the satnav holder is. And i can see if people are trying to contact me via the sleep screen. Quick flash of a message, not too distracting. Definately not F1 type info and menu/submenus etc. And should i deem it important i can pull over and contact the person. Easy Peasy!

I ride for simplicity, just me and the bike, its' my "thing" and cannot be interrupted - simple - No complications or stress, it's a rush, a feeling of solitude - just me to blame if I fuck it all up........ the technology on these new bikes, the rider aids, TFT screens, pointless information, complication, integrated Crash Helmets, being able to answer the phone whilst riding - fuck all that - I just need a basic motorcycle to bring out the feelings I had at 16 when I rode for the first time - all that other stuff is just baggage and distraction.

Amen!

Even better, Shure se215 Bluetooth in ear monitors, sit flat in my ears whilst helmet on. Work great with the TFT. Bucks fizz never sounded so good. Wond noise, gone. Highly recommend it to the younger riders out there. 😎

Regarding the guy complaining about rider aids. My missus has a scooter. I would not let her buy one without ABS. You can moan about these things all you like. But I feel at ease at night waiting for her return from work, in the rain. She would not be able to do a stoppie like me, or control a skid, not knocking her for this. Switch these aids of if you don't like em. But don't knock em. The more riders that feel safe to ride bikes, and believe me these aids help inexperienced riders, the better for all of us. Less cars and the plods don't see us as a minority. I too have been riding since 16. That makes 40 years experience including 10 years as a motorcycle courier in London. Get as much tech on these things as possible. My last 2014 model sold with 50,000k on clock, No issues. Never been near a BMW garage for service. Did servicing myself with help of gs912. I remember the suzuki gt250 I had when I was 16. First sign of rain, had do duck for cover or I was on 1 cylinder etc etc. Get a 20 year old bike if you like to tinker, and if this tech is too much for ya. I need to get to work on time and get there. I want to head to Seville for a dirty weekend with the missus, knowing I'll get there. I love working on engines. This does not need to stop with techy bikes. Sorry for the rant.

Back
Top Bottom