2018 gs with TFT display review

Well it will. Inexperienced riders may not lock the front wheel. Isn't that a good thing surely!
I for one think the electric ride height is a godsend. I would never consider getting of the bike and adjusting the springs. Now bike rides great with passenger and or luggage. Riders are not parked up on hard shoulders looking at maps, now we have moved onto GPS........

Well it will. Inexperienced riders may not lock the front wheel. Isn't that a good thing surely!
I for one think the electric ride height is a godsend. I would never consider getting of the bike and adjusting the springs. Now bike rides great with passenger and or luggage. Riders are not parked up on hard shoulders looking at maps, now we have moved onto GPS........

Must admit love the Nav6 and Sena headset in the Schuberth, being able to talk to the wife, stops her bashing me on the skull when a pitstop is needed, just saying.:beerjug:

Just ignore the old folk coming on here and complaining about modern technology, They carry a basket of homing pigeons and release one informing their wives to light the stove and put a large pan of water on it ready for their weekly bath. Bless them.

If I want to hoon round on the bike and regain my ying and yang levels, then I do, If I want to ride my bike to a meeting etc and don't want to sit in the car and suffer traffic, or even go on a train with piss stinking commoners, then I shall be upon my high tech motorcycle and have all the high tech to enable me to get there at the right place at the right time etc etc.

My bikes aren't just for sunny days, they are work vehicles as well.

Love all the high tech stuff on my 2017 Lc, but :beer:that is today, I might eat my words later if having to get the wallet out if it all goes pete tong.

I ride for simplicity, just me and the bike, its' my "thing" and cannot be interrupted - simple - No complications or stress, it's a rush, a feeling of solitude - just me to blame if I fuck it all up........ the technology on these new bikes, the rider aids, TFT screens, pointless information, complication, integrated Crash Helmets, being able to answer the phone whilst riding - fuck all that - I just need a basic motorcycle to bring out the feelings I had at 16 when I rode for the first time - all that other stuff is just baggage and distraction.

The emphasis on "I" in your response so these are your personal feelings on it and it doesn't mean they apply to others. It also doesn't mean anyone is "riding" the bike any less than you are because they have the new dash.

Just ignore the old folk coming on here and complaining about modern technology, They carry a basket of homing pigeons and release one informing their wives to light the stove and put a large pan of water on it ready for their weekly bath. Bless them.

If I want to hoon round on the bike and regain my ying and yang levels, then I do, If I want to ride my bike to a meeting etc and don't want to sit in the car and suffer traffic, or even go on a train with piss stinking commoners, then I shall be upon my high tech motorcycle and have all the high tech to enable me to get there at the right place at the right time etc etc.

My bikes aren't just for sunny days, they are work vehicles as well.

These threads always bring out the geriatric luddites that hate any advances in technology.

Thing is, Bikers are, or were when i lived in the UK treated as second class , minorities. ANYTHING that gets people out of their cars should be welcomed and embraced. Most of these folk that moan about tech, are in the main frightened of it because of ignorance. I work in IT and i see this every day. No excuse just because Libraries have closed down. Google is your friend.

Or because they haven't got it, and counter argue till they are blue in the face until they can afford it themselves or overcome their jealousy to join in and get it for themselves. At which point it's the best thing that ever happened to them.

Seen it 100 times before with haters.

I'd have the TFT Screen in a heartbeat.

But it can't be retrofitted easily onto my 2017 bike.... and I can't justify to myself to change after 6 months.

The thought of stripping my bike down and removing all the farkles is not going to happen. Took me months to build it.

Official reply from BMW Motorrad UK:

Good morning Adam

Thanks for your patience while I've looked into this.

I've spoken with our Technical Support Manager who has advised me that there's no reason third party equipment shouldn't work with the TFT, however we can't test other brands for compatability as we make our own.

This would be the responsibility of the third party company to test which models their equipment is compatible with.

I'd recommend visiting the Centre so they can test the equipment in person, as there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

If there's anything else you need, please let me know.

Thanks
Dan
The BMW Motorrad UK Social Media Team

I have Shure Bluetooth in ear monitors and android 7. All working fine untill I decided to pair monitors to phone. Then I couldn't get TFT to see phone or Shure on rider 1. Must have spent an hour deleting all connected devices, resetting, renaming phone etc. Finally got it working. Third party devices certainly work . Maybe someone with a BMW Bluetooth can say if wheel controls volume? We new TFT ers will be easy to spot at the side of the road anyhow!

I'm pleased with the tft display but the connectivity is a bit iffy.
I have got it to work occasionally with scalarider and iPhone se but it doesn't always connect.
If the wife is with me and we try to use the scalarider intercom then the scalarider will crash so I guess it's not the tft display that's at fault.
I know the scalarider isn't a top end intercom system so it would be great to here if anybody has got this to work successfully.
Another thing to note is that with the bmw connected app running and the tft linked it will run the battery on the iPhone down very quickly, I went from 100% battery to 0 in less than 7 hours just with the connected app running.

I'd have the TFT Screen in a heartbeat.

But it can't be retrofitted easily onto my 2017 bike.... and I can't justify to myself to change after 6 months.

The thought of stripping my bike down and removing all the farkles is not going to happen. Took me months to build it.

Wow I thought this was an option that could be added later, so TFT cannot be installed on a 2017 GS damn. :blast

Guys I’m still stuck with connection issue but I noticed BMW Motorrad app does not recognise my bike. Show UNKNOWN on top, How is yours?
b95ba1a6cf0dddf38285724c6150cc3b.jpg

Guys I’m still stuck with connection issue but I noticed BMW Motorrad app does not recognise my bike. Show UNKNOWN on top, How is yours?
b95ba1a6cf0dddf38285724c6150cc3b.jpg

Hi nothing wrong mate, it's the app that's broken, BMW are well aware of the issue. Maybe fixed by Christmas 2019.

+1
I don't think the tft display the app and navigator 6 are really up to speed just yet.
Hopefully bmw will address the issues soon.
After paying over £17000 for the bike it's quite disappointing.

Hi there, I have a oneplus 3t android, and my BMW app shows bike, as does my partner's iPhone. Try full TFT reset from the menu. Delete in tft your phone. Rename your phone in settings of phone and try again. With a shot. Can't believe we are gonna have to fork up cash, for TFT upgrades to fix these issues.

Back
Top Bottom