2018 gs with TFT display review

gusser123

Reaction score
Hi All, Very hard to find info on these new screeens, so a quick report. Pretty impressive viewing in all conditions. Decent customisation on the things that matter. You can choose what info is displayed on top of screen, eg PSI\bar, kms to empty, graph of petrol, mileage etc. Kms and mileage can be changed by user, no need to go to BMW.
Bmw connectivity app on android. This works, ahem. Probably best item is the speed limit info that can be displayed on the tft. Just start bike , and phone connects via bluetooth, then speed limit appears if you have set this to come up on TFT. App is definitely a bit buggy, (could be my phone) as connectivity hangs (twice so far) had to rename my phone and reconnect.
I dont have BMW bluetooth for my helmet, but tried my bluetooth home headphones whilst standing by bike. Connected these without an issue to TFT. Was able then to activate Music\and phone settings. Could not browse the music directory on Spotify, this had to be done through the phone. Maybe the tft is looking for my music in the Music folder on Android? Will investigate later. The wheel was able to play, pause and forward and reverse tracks but not volume. I have my phone attached to bike via quadlock and used that for mapping. Did not spend too much time using TFT direcions, as they were pretty basic.
Overall the tft is pretty impressive, it lacks the customisation of others, ie changing colours and Rev display etc. But I believe BMW have got it perfectas is. The clarity on the screen is superb, even for my old eyes. My biggest issue on older 2014 bike was i could not read the analogue display.

I also bought a system 7 helmet to replace my schuberth c3. Helmet is absolutely fantastic, if a little on the small side, and super light. Closing the lid is just a gentle click up and down. I had to wrestle my schuberth to get it firmly closed. I took chin bar of once, dont think i,ll try it again. Although it will probably be easier next time. Comfort and sound deadening are pretty impressive. Be sure to try size before you buy, as I am considering giving mine to partner as its very tight, same size as my loose Schuberth, and i have done 1200k.

Rgds Tom

Thanks for the interesting feedback; especially on system 7 as I'm due to replace my 6.

Do you think it is just down to newness or more size related ?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I tried the System 7 on at the dealers and found that I needed to go up a size, and it still felt a bit tight. Very light though!

Maybe the 56/57 shell (mine) is smaller than the 58/59 shell? I am gonna persevere with it for a while as I like it so much. I would have thought it would have broken in by 1200 kms. I cut the back of my ear taking it off as its so tight. Forehead pains, and jawbone pains as well. Although i did have the thing on for 10 hours in the saddle, with the odd break. My commute to work is only 35k, and it sure is nice to have the silence. Although this may be attributed to the tightness more that the build.So difficult to get feedback on these things especially the bluetooth thingy. Mine is white, and apparently the white 58/59 will not be available till xmass ish. Serious lack of choice in the 2 BMW dealer i visited and online. If anyone has anymore info on the Bluetooth, maybe a review, i would be glad for the link. Cant even see much info on BMW site.

Rgds Tom

The dealer, Riders of Cardiff, reckoned that the Bluetooth would be available early next year. We'll see.

Maybe the 56/57 shell (mine) is smaller than the 58/59 shell? I am gonna persevere with it for a while as I like it so much. I would have thought it would have broken in by 1200 kms. I cut the back of my ear taking it off as its so tight. Forehead pains, and jawbone pains as well. Although i did have the thing on for 10 hours in the saddle, with the odd break. My commute to work is only 35k, and it sure is nice to have the silence. Although this may be attributed to the tightness more that the build.So difficult to get feedback on these things especially the bluetooth thingy. Mine is white, and apparently the white 58/59 will not be available till xmass ish. Serious lack of choice in the 2 BMW dealer i visited and online. If anyone has anymore info on the Bluetooth, maybe a review, i would be glad for the link. Cant even see much info on BMW site.

Rgds Tom

A bit off topic I'll write about BMW's System 7.

Indeed, compared to Schuberth C3 Pro it runs smaller. I own A c3 Pro size XL (60/61 cm) with size 62/63 cheeck pads. I purcj=hase s BMW system 7 size 62/63 and purchased size 64/65 cheeck pads as the original checkpadas made it too tight on my cheecks. Fit, considering my head were similar and both quite confortable.

The system 7 is a great helmet; quite confortable, very light as compared to other fliup helmets I have or had such as Schuberth C3 Pro, Shoei Neotec, BMW system 6, BMW Air Flow 2.

Its very quiet and comparable to the C3 Pro. If any of these two is quieter I can't tell the difference. Ventilation wise the system 7 is better as its lighter. The lid opens and closes effortlessly and its spring loaded making it easier to open and close and providing for a feeling of higher quality.

I purchased the system 7 as I was solg on the idea of transforming it into a Jet helmet whenever I would want to. While in town I much prefer a Jet helmet while on the highway a full ( flip up ) is mandatory for me. I thought I would have the best of boyh worlds with the system 7, however its rather difficult to remove the helmet's front and even garder to put it back.

In spite of the many advantages of the System 7 (see below) I've decided to sell my system 7 and keep the C3 Pro. The reason is that I like to ride with my visor up an the system 7's visor just closes itself at speeds above some 80 kph ( 50 mph). To be true, the C3 Pro does the same at a litll higher speeds, however its pretty easy to correct this on the C3 Pro and I could not find a way to do this on the System 7.

Also, removing and mounting the visor on the C3 Pro is a much easier task than on the System 7. In this regard the C3 Pro is much, much superior as the System 7 gives a felling of poor design in this regard.

Below a comparison in grades among the 2 helmets:

BMW System 7 Schuberth C3 Pro

Confort (personnal) 7 - 8
Sizing Normal - Runs one size smaller compared to Scuberth
Silence 8 - 8
Fit and finnish 8 - 8
Feel of open and closing 9 - 8
Ease or removing and installing visor 6 - 10
Sun visor 8 - 8
Weight 9 - 7
visor staying up while riding 5 - 10 (after modification)
Ease of removing linnings 9 - 8
Linning feel of quality 9 - 9
Removal of chin piece 7 - 4 ( you'll need an allen wrench to do so but is quite easy)

If it wasn't for the visor not staying up while riding above 50 mph and not finding a way to modify the mechanism nd if removing the chin piece and visor wasn't as omplicated and not practical I woud prefer the system 7, However, in the end I've decided to keep the C3 Pro and sold the system 7

I have a 2018 triple black with TFT connectivity option. It won’t Bluetooth sync at all with mu Schuberth C3Pro fitted with the factory SRC communication system, which does sync with my previous BMW sat Nav5.
Dealer has tried everything and still scratching his head awaiting BMW UK response, buyer beware.

To stiffen up the closing of the visor on my C3 pro, I wrapped one thickness of tape around the circular bit that connects at the side on the visor itself, this gives just enough friction to stop it from closing at speeds up to 70mph.
Some people suggest using a rubber o ring ( pack of various sizes at B & Q for a couple of quid), works very well, but just pushes the side of the visor out a bit and makes it a bit noisy.
When I picked my 2018 TB, the dealer explained that BMW are aware of the compatibility issues and are working on a patch.

If you want a lid to ride open faced I got a shark something earlier on this year.
Previous flip fronts I have had create a massive sail above your head and with the caberg and shoi brand you can only use the visor with the lid closed.
The shark is great, the chin bar goes up and over and locks to the back of the lid, the visor sits flush with the helmet and can be used at any time.
I ride in sunglasses and if the rain starts I just drop the visor and that protects my face down to my top lip, my beard protects the rest from the stingy little bastards that rain drops are at 70 mph.

I took a 2018 TE out with the new TFT screen last weekend whilst work was done on my bike. The display is super clear and I could see my speed and revs without any issues in all weathers..............errrrrrrr that's about it. If only I'd known it makes cappuccino as well. :D

I connected my Iphone to the TFT and Interphone F5MC to the TFT. I am able to make a calls or play music but I cant hear anything in my helmet (no matter calls or music). Bluetooth connection is fine. Only I cant hear anything in my helmet. Does anyone experienced something similar?

Who else thinks that BMW has thrown the TFT at the GS to try and stem the departures to KTM?

Style over substance I fear. How many editions until the display becomes reliable and worth the extra money BMW demand if you want to be a test pilot.

I connected my Iphone to the TFT and Interphone F5MC to the TFT. I am able to make a calls or play music but I cant hear anything in my helmet (no matter calls or music). Bluetooth connection is fine. Only I cant hear anything in my helmet. Does anyone experienced something similar?

Try connecting the helmet to the TFT first, then the iPhone.

Mine was doing the same if the iPhone connected first.

Who else thinks that BMW has thrown the TFT at the GS to try and stem the departures to KTM?

Style over substance I fear. How many editions until the display becomes reliable and worth the extra money BMW demand if you want to be a test pilot.

I've just ordered a new GSA over a large selection of dealer demo non TFT bikes, because I think it looks great.

Time will tell regarding how it performs - I'll report back when I've got the bike.

Try connecting the helmet to the TFT first, then the iPhone.

Mine was doing the same if the iPhone connected first.

Unfortunately doesn’t work
I’ve reconnected as you mention but no success. Erase pairing and pair again in different configurations still nothing.
I’ve also tried connect with Android phone but still no sounds.

Mine has started to play up....can hear ring tone, but when I answer, can't hear caller, or they me !... If I then try to connect helmet to IPhone separate from bike, iPhone won't connect, so have to "forget Device" and reinstall.

And to add a cherry on the frigging top. nav system has shit the bed and no "Active Route Guidance"... off to shout at BMW !

Can the new TFT be changed from Miles to KMs in the menu option, or is it like the normal dashboards, need to be done by BMW or with gs-911.

Back
Top Bottom