2018 gs with TFT display review

Haven’t the 2018s lost the “wonder” wheel on the LH handlebar, don’t see it in any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no its still there,its how you scroll through the various menus

Haven’t the 2018s lost the “wonder” wheel on the LH handlebar, don’t see it in any pictures?

I think it is still firmly part of the system - The Missenden Flyer was demonstrating it in a recent review of the TFT on the 2018 GSA, showing how it is used to control both the TFT and the satnav by holding down a button to switch between them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJgd-4iB6e0

Personally I think it is an ergonomic nightmare, and is very large and of massively complex (read expensive) construction internally, considering the simple function it performs. (I've completely dismantled one to see how it works.) Mine annoyed me so much that I have actually moved it to the other side of the switch cluster, but intend to replace it longer term with a small joystick device. A couple of days ago when reading about new bikes at EICMA I noticed in some information on another bike that it has a joystick type button to control menus, etc, though can't remember which bike it was. I think BMW should seriously consider something similar for the future.

Fred

I was wandering through the bmw configurator and couldn’t see it...

I expect once they have fixed the bugs in this system on the TFT early adopters, BMW will make it the standard equipment, at least on the high end bikes, if not the whole range, maybe starting with the 2019 model year GS, from Sept 2018. I can understand why it is an option on the new mid-size 750 and 850 GS, but I'm surprised it is not already standard on the R1200. I think they will have to do this sooner rather than later because the high end models from direct competitors (Triumph, Ducati, KTM) are already fitting a TFT as standard equipment, and BMW will be perceived as seriously lagging the market. Though not a direct competitor, even the new Yamaha Tracer 900 GT which is a mid-range bike will have a TFT display as standard I believe.

I was wandering through the bmw configurator and couldn’t see it...

Unlike the RT, on the GS the multi-controller used to only be used to control the NAV devices, and hence I think it was part of the satnav prep option. I suspect it will now also be part of the TFT screen option as it is essential to controlling the TFT. If you have both the satnav prep and TFT option - maybe you end up paying for two!

I expect once they have fixed the bugs in this system on the TFT early adopters, BMW will make it the standard equipment, at least on the high end bikes, if not the whole range, maybe starting with the 2019 model year GS, from Sept 2018. I can understand why it is an option on the new mid-size 750 and 850 GS, but I'm surprised it is not already standard on the R1200. I think they will have to do this sooner rather than later because the high end models from direct competitors (Triumph, Ducati, KTM) are already fitting a TFT as standard equipment, and BMW will be perceived as seriously lagging the market. Though not a direct competitor, even the new Yamaha Tracer 900 GT which is a mid-range bike will have a TFT display as standard I believe.

Given that much of the opposition are fitting these either as standard, or as standard on the higher end versions, I think that bmw will have to follow.

I quite like the wonder wheel, and have owned 3 bikes with it. Never a problem.

I suspect it's a glove related issue myself - clumsy thumbs interfering with the wheel when reaching for the indicator switch or similar. Some folk criticise the horn button placement too.

I suspect it's a glove related issue myself - clumsy thumbs interfering with the wheel when reaching for the indicator switch or similar. Some folk criticise the horn button placement too.

I think the problem is not so much wearing gloves, as the fact that I don't have large hands, or maybe my thumbs are just a bit stunted! In any case, reaching for the indicator switch, especially for a left turn meant I had to move my whole hand which invariably knocked the wheel, and also made it much more difficult to instinctively locate the switches. This was extremely annoying on the long journey back from my summer tour in Spain, which involved a lot of riding on multi-lane roads, requiring frequent use of the indicators. It is so much easier now that the wheel is not in the way. The ergonomics are now spot on, with horn and indicator buttons easily and instinctively located, back to as they would have been before BMW introduced the wheel, the placement of which forces your hand about 20 mm further to the left, which makes all the difference.

This was not so bad when the wheel was only really needed for operating the satnav, and that could be mainly done while stationary. Now that it is needed to adjust the display and menus I think BMW should look at this again. I've found out that Triumph now provide a mini joystick button for this sort of thing, which seems a much more sensible option and by comparison makes the large BMW wheel look a rather crude device.

Fred

Nearly there?

Took delivery of new GSA Rallye TE a couple of weeks ago. The revised suspension is outstanding. Love the TFT screen.
So far the TFT has behaved its self but a couple of obersvations.
I use an iPhone. This must be correctly paired, ensure both phone and TFT show the pairing number, first time round this didn’t happen and the results in connection issues.
The connectivity app has a new idea of distances in km and miles with both out by miles :nenau a distance I know of about 80miles shows as 420miles. Given how easily apps can be updated this should have been fixed ages ago.
Back to the TFT. Am sure the fuel range is based on a GS as it’s a 100 miles short.
The Satnav is basic but note that at roundabouts a wee number appears to show number of exit as the image is always straight ahead which causes confusion. Note instruction in your manual that the iPhone app must be opened first before starting bike up.
I use customs plugs with built in speakers to a little blue tooth receiver from Adapt £30 from Amazon, have managed to link this as the drivers headset. Have not had time to fully test capability yet.

I absolutely love your quote and totally fukin agree - rode my SS50 when i was 16 - borrowed a mates RD 250 (pre LC) on my 17th birthday - had my own 1 month later on HP with all speed expansions wearing DM's and my Bell star 2
Had over 30 bikes since and still know why dogs stick their heads out the window
Phone me on my daily commute - please dont - its the best 3 hours of my day

My GS went in for its 600 mile service and I asked them to look at the TFT display. As well as the irritating 161 mile range when full, my mpg reading was resetting every time I started the bike, on both trip computers. It also went black and reset itself a couple
of times. They connected the bike to the diagnostics and the whole display died. A new display is now on order from Germany. I think the display is great but it has obviously been launched with some fairly serious software gremlins.

My GS went in for its 600 mile service and I asked them to look at the TFT display. As well as the irritating 161 mile range when full, my mpg reading was resetting every time I started the bike, on both trip computers. It also went black and reset itself a couple
of times. They connected the bike to the diagnostics and the whole display died. A new display is now on order from Germany. I think the display is great but it has obviously been launched with some fairly serious software gremlins.

I took delivery of my GS Rallye with TFT last week... having major issues connecting Sena SMH10 with screen and iphone X. Music works fine. No audio on phone calls. And NAV isn't available on the TFT screen, just saying Not Available, even when the motorrad connected app is loaded.

GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Any updates from others welcome :thumb

I took delivery of my GS Rallye with TFT last week... having major issues connecting Sena SMH10 with screen and iphone X. Music works fine. No audio on phone calls. And NAV isn't available on the TFT screen, just saying Not Available, even when the motorrad connected app is loaded.

GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Theres an extensive thread about this here.

Edit: Though I see you have already found it.

There is indeed, have participated in that one too!! thank you very much trebor :)

GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!

As far as I'm aware, phone calls sound issue is global and not Cardo/Sena specific, many people reported it. I have been able to make it work when I changed from Schuberth SRC pro to the latest BMW Communication System, but I still think it's not an headset issue but has to do with the pitiful bluetooth stack on the TFT Kombi not routing the sound correctly.

As far as I'm aware, phone calls sound issue is global and not Cardo/Sena specific, many people reported it. I have been able to make it work when I changed from Schuberth SRC pro to the latest BMW Communication System, but I still think it's not an headset issue but has to do with the pitiful bluetooth stack on the TFT Kombi not routing the sound correctly.

Something that was supposed to be so cool and sexy, is just annoying and frustrating I have to say.... but, i am focusing on how ridiculous sexy my Rallye TE actually is, so sod it !!!!!! its the principal right!

Who else thinks that BMW has thrown the TFT at the GS to try and stem the departures to KTM?

Style over substance I fear. How many editions until the display becomes reliable and worth the extra money BMW demand if you want to be a test pilot.

I swapped my MY2016 for a new GS with the TFT screen and IMO it's a decent step forward. With the Current ACOP chair saying he wants to do away with the 10% margin for issuing speeding tickets being able to see easily what speed I'm doing is becoming important to me. The way the red line on the rev counter adjusts as your engine warms up is a useful addition too as far as I'm concerned. I liked it enough to pay the extra, just a bit pissed off they're offering it for free now:mad:

I swapped my MY2016 for a new GS with the TFT screen and IMO it's a decent step forward. With the Current ACOP chair saying he wants to do away with the 10% margin for issuing speeding tickets being able to see easily what speed I'm doing is becoming important to me. The way the red line on the rev counter adjusts as your engine warms up is a useful addition too as far as I'm concerned. I liked it enough to pay the extra, just a bit pissed off they're offering it for free now:mad:

Totally agree with the above,I paid for mine but now everything is set up properly it has been faultless

Back
Top Bottom