Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holiday Insurance/ no show at hotels

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Yes but what about all the other nights you might have to rescudle? JJH
    A decent breakdown policy will provide you with onwards transport and meet the costs (the loss) you incur if you lose pre-booked hotel bookings that are otherwise non-cancellable. It follows that if you haven't booked anything - nor paid a non-refundable deposit against your bookings - you haven't lost anything.

Similarly, if you breakdown on your last day abroad, say on the final run up to Calais for an afternoon crossing to England and then to home, a decent policy will meet the cost of the hotel stay in France that has been forced upon you due to nothing more than the breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by paul08 View Post
    or use booking.com which allows cancellation right up to the day
    Depends on the hotel. booking.com try to get hotels to sign up to the late cancellation policy. Not all hotels sign up for this. We aways took a non returnable deposit Sad to say there are a lot of people lot there who abuse the system booking two or more hotels and cancelling one at the last moment.

Think of it from the perspective of a owner of a small hotel, the chances of selling a room, possibly booked months in advance , are almost nil if cancelled at short notice. That is lost income that can never be recovered.

The minumum commision charged by booking.com is 12% so often you can get a better deal by going direct to the owners

John
    Still misbehaving.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey One View Post
    Depends on the hotel. booking.com try to get hotels to sign up to the late cancellation policy. Not all hotels sign up for this. We aways took a non returnable deposit Sad to say there are a lot of people lot there who abuse the system booking two or more hotels and cancelling one at the last moment.

Think of it from the perspective of a owner of a small hotel, the chances of selling a room, possibly booked months in advance , are almost nil if cancelled at short notice. That is lost income that can never be recovered.

The minumum commision charged by booking.com is 12% so often you can get a better deal by going direct to the owners

John
    It's often worth paying the premium, if like me, you book maybe 7 rooms for 10 people some months ahead. People drop out, people come in, people come for 4 days not 10. The flexibility booking.com and others offer makes it relatively low risk for people like me that are amateur travel agents, earning nothing for our trouble, except maybe 3% of that 12% as a Quidco kickback.
    As you very well know, if one of my touring parties descends on your hotel, you will make a decent amount of money as we tend to consume copious amounts of beverage. We were just 5 people in Malta in 2014. The group has expanded since then.
    So, do not decry booking.com as it has created a new sector of the market that was just not possible before. Individuals like me cannot arrange a trip for a dozen people if we have to start taking deposits as a) we may lose money and b) we may fall foul of legislation as we are not bonded travel agents.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post
    It's often worth paying the premium, if like me, you book maybe 7 rooms for 10 people some months ahead. People drop out, people come in, people come for 4 days not 10. The flexibility booking.com and others offer makes it relatively low risk for people like me that are amateur travel agents, earning nothing for our trouble, except maybe 3% of that 12% as a Quidco kickback.
    As you very well know, if one of my touring parties descends on your hotel, you will make a decent amount of money as we tend to consume copious amounts of beverage. We were just 5 people in Malta in 2014. The group has expanded since then.
    So, do not decry booking.com as it has created a new sector of the market that was just not possible before. Individuals like me cannot arrange a trip for a dozen people if we have to start taking deposits as a) we may lose money and b) we may fall foul of legislation as we are not bonded travel agents.
    I no longer own the hotel or have any connection with it so have no real axe to grind. I was not decrying booking.com, just pointing out that their policy about very late cancellations is rather one sided.

You rightly point out that guests (especialy bikers) add to revenue by eating and drinking. This potential revenue is also lost with a cancellation The guest is absolved of all risk and the hotel owner faces losses. You can't put a night in a hotel room back on the shelf and sell it another time! Imagine if a large group cancelled at short notice, the hotel owner not only loses the income but they may have brought extra staff in to cope with the numbers. This actualy happened to one of our neighbours in Austria,a large group coming for a week at New Year cancelled the day before they were due to arrive. Not only did they lose the room prices and the profit on food and drink but also they had to pay at staff who had been promised work and throw away the perishable food they had bought in. They found out later that the group had booked two hotels and had made the choice as to which one to cancel based on snow conditions at the different resorts.

I could give lots of other reason why we stopped using booking.com but they are not to do with the cancellation policy. We never signed up to that policy anyway.

When I did own the hotel we worked with booking.com for several years but got most of our bookings through our own marketing activities. As you say group bookings tend to evolve and I think we were fairly flexible on this. I think it was quite rare for a group booking to remain as originally booked. Thankfully most got bigger but a lot got smaller. Guests contacting us directly could explain their needs and problems far easier than though booking.com where the options are limited to cancelling or adding room.

I have no problem with people using booking.com but I do have a problem with that minority who abuse the system. Anyone who has tried to organise a group trip will know that unless people have to stump up money upfront you will get lots of takers who then drop out. I found that out the hard way 40 years ago when I booked ferry crossngs for a car club only to have several people fail to turn up leaving the rest of us with a bill to pay. Paying a deposit shows a comitment that sorts those serous about coming from the dreamers.

I think it comes down to why peple are using booking engines like booking.com. If it is convenience and the cancellation policy is a bonus that you don't expect to need then that is fine. If the last minute cancellation policy is you main reason for using such systems then I would suggest you are being less than fair. You might think it matters little to large hotel chain but it can be a serious issue for small hotel.

John
    Still misbehaving.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey One View Post

You rightly point out that guests (especialy bikers) add to revenue by eating and drinking. This potential revenue is also lost with a cancellation The guest is absolved of all risk and the hotel owner faces losses. You can't put a night in a hotel room back on the shelf and sell it another time! Imagine if a large group cancelled at short notice, the hotel owner not only loses the income but they may have brought extra staff in to cope with the numbers. This actualy happened to one of our neighbours in Austria,a large group coming for a week at New Year cancelled the day before they were due to arrive. Not only did they lose the room prices and the profit on food and drink but also they had to pay at staff who had been promised work and throw away the perishable food they had bought in. They found out later that the group had booked two hotels and had made the choice as to which one to cancel based on snow conditions at the different resorts.

I could give lots of other reason why we stopped using booking.com but they are not to do with the cancellation policy. We never signed up to that policy anyway.

John
    I agree with all the above. Also, even if the hotel does benefit from wet-sales, it takes quite a bit to make up for a lost room-rate.
    Then you get the B&Bs who simply lose out.

I've also heard from B&B owners that people using Booking.com, don't even read the B&B T&C, as it is just a "click-click-click.... done".

I must admit to using Booking.com, especially if on business or abroad, and sympathise with the Hotel/B&B owners who are making ends meet, but get stuffed by folk using the cancellation policy for sheer convenience, with no regard for the hotelier.

Al
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Most of my trips are with very close friends who I know will turn up. There are always a few others who say they will come. If they fail to commit with a month to go (I insist they book their own ferry or tunnel which is a good indicator) then I cancel the reservation for their room, giving the hotel a full month to find another traveller. Inevitably, life gets in the way and someone has a family crisis or has to return to work (one of my friends is a senior manager in banking security for a US bank and he had to bail out of a trip after a major terrorist attack where several members of his team were exposed to a life threatening situation). I am very sympathetic to hotel owners, whether independent or chains and if a non-show penalty is in the T&C I always pay this myself and seek to recover it from the other traveller. Fortunately, as last year when a friend had a clutch failure, I have always been repaid and they have claimed from travel or breakdown insurance.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

....and.....folk using the cancellation policy for sheer convenience......
    Isn't the entire point of the late notice / no cancellation fee facility offered by Booking.com is that it's meant to be convenient?

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Isn't the entire point of the late notice / no cancellation fee facility offered by Booking.com is that it's meant to be convenient?
    Yep - he kind of lost me there too...
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Yep - he kind of lost me there too...
    I guess that a cancellation via Booking.com will result in the room automatically re-listing on the Booking.com website. Much to the joy of bikermates on this website who regularly tell us that they never book, only selecting hotels at the last minute on Booking.com as they are free-wheelin' desperadoes of the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12