2017 R1200GSA Triple Black - Tank Scratches / Mat Lacquer

2017 GSA Tank scratches

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, but why should you have to protect a £17,000 bike ! It should be fit for purpose and not have to be protected straight out the box! They sell it as an adventure bike after all for god sake!

Well if you're afraid of scratching it you're not really going to be taking it on many "adventures" are you.

Just swapped my white 2016 GSA with 12000 miles on no scratches to a new triple black 2018 model tft screen etc 400 miles and scratches already appearing on the tank.:anger:anger:anger:anger:anger same rider gear...

If you pop down to Wilco’s you can buy a huge roll of clear sticky backed plastic (self adhesive clear vinyl) for about a fiver, then make a pattern with some cardboard for the part of your bike that you want to protect, transfer the shape onto the vinyl, cut it out with some scissors and stick on your bike.

For best results on larger areas, dip the vinyl into a bucket of scrupulously clean luke warm tap water with a few drops of liquid soap or washing up liquid added, then stick onto your bike.

Using slightly soapy water allows you to slide the vinyl into its final position, then using a soft flexible spatula or similar or even a wet dishcloth, squeeze the air and water from beneath the vinyl from the centre outwards until you have got rid of as many air bubbles as possible, but don’t worry if you can’t get them all out, as after a few days they normally disappear and it becomes an invisible protective shield.

I have done this treatment with my last 6 new bikes, it’s very easy to do, and if you get it all wrong and it looks a pigs ear just pull it off, bin it, and start again. One roll will probably do all the bikes that you will ever own, it’s cheap as chips and it works!

I know you shouldn’t have to do it, but it saves a lot of grief if you do.

Matt lacquer is a real pain in the arse. I do not know anybody who'd really want it on their bike out of choice as it's so vulnerable to damage, and cannot be polished out as you can with a clear lacquer. (Having said that, I have matt lacquer on my GS, but not out of choice......doh)

When I'm asked to spray matt clear coats, I try and talk folks out of it, for the very reasons you guys have mentioned, but also from the sprayers POV, as it HAS to be right first time. Any nibs cannot be removed. So when I'm putting matt coats on (seeing as it's only the top coat that you see/feel), I lay down plenty of coats of gloss lacquer, then just top it off with a matt finish lacquer. This provides more protection for the paint (and it doesn't matter if it's water based or not), and is less susceptible to deep scratches directly affecting the paintwork underneath.

Re-doing a matt finish is no trouble at all, and a real small job, which is why it doesn't bother me.

Wrapped

Had the panels wrapped when I first got my 3xB in April.. had seen others and thought prevention better than cure... let’s be honest the ones I’ve seen look crap scuffed. Yet more cheap jacking from the fatherland.

Thanks for the posts gents. Appreciated.

This is my issue with BMW, why should I pay £17,000 for a brand new bike and within a few hundred miles I have to put after market protection on what is a poor quality paint / finish! I have the venture shield stuff but dont want to put it on until I have exhausted all options with BMW! Bike is currently in my garage on not getting used!

Not a happy camper :(

Cheers

Totaly agree, but BMW seem to be getting more like every other manufacturer, it used to be if things were not right, and they were at fault, they would sort it - but times are changing, and BMW are not neary as good on customer service or quality control now.

James

Totaly agree, but BMW seem to be getting more like every other manufacturer, it used to be if things were not right, and they were at fault, they would sort it - but times are changing, and BMW are not neary as good on customer service or quality control now.

James

Not too sure your generalisation is entirely fair.
Overall I still consider BMW products and bike build quality to be very good and superior to most other manufactures. Sure things are not 'built like they used to be' tell me something that is...
I have only had very good experiences and sure my BMW bikes have had faults, but all have being rectified in good time and to my satisfaction.

Back to the post; I think tank panel protection depends on garment worn. Some of the heavier materials, seaming, stitching and patches do, these days, definitely scuff the tank and panels. Back in 2008 my GSA never suffered any such problems, but first noticed it on my 2014 RT when wearing the Tourshell suit. I've changed ridding gear a couple of times since then so not too sure if it's the new garment materials, the paint finishes or a combination of both. My point; All summer I've been using the soft BMW rider trousers on a 2016 GSA...no tank/panel marks whatsoever.

Well if you're afraid of scratching it you're not really going to be taking it on many "adventures" are you.

By accepting this attitude, you just allow BMW or any other manufacturer to get away with selling "things" with less quality. At what point do you say, enough is enough ?

By accepting this attitude, you just allow BMW or any other manufacturer to get away with selling "things" with less quality. At what point do you say, enough is enough ?

What attitude? The OP is refusing to ride the bike because it might get scratched, personally I think that's the daftest thing ever. At what point in the lifetime off a motorcycle can it start showing signs of wear? 1 month, 1 year, 10 years? I'm not letting them "get away" with anything. We've been putting tank protectors on bikes for as long as I can remember how is this any different?

It's really simple, BMW make a product that I like. At the point where they stop making something I like, because I feel the quality doesn't justify the price I'll stop buying them. There is no "enough is enough", you don't like the quality of their products, go elsewhere. Motorcycle ownership isn't a political campaign.

[QUOTE

Back to the post; I think tank panel protection depends on garment worn. Some of the heavier materials, seaming, stitching and patches do, these days, definitely scuff the tank and panels. Back in 2008 my GSA never suffered any such problems, but first noticed it on my 2014 RT when wearing the Tourshell suit. I've changed ridding gear a couple of times since then so not too sure if it's the new garment materials, the paint finishes or a combination of both. My point; All summer I've been using the soft BMW rider trousers on a 2016 GSA...no tank/panel marks whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

You make a fair point, however this does not apply to the triple black. If you wore your trousers on a tb it would still scuff the sticker area. It IS a problem on these bikes

[QUOTE

Back to the post; I think tank panel protection depends on garment worn. Some of the heavier materials, seaming, stitching and patches do, these days, definitely scuff the tank and panels. Back in 2008 my GSA never suffered any such problems, but first noticed it on my 2014 RT when wearing the Tourshell suit. I've changed ridding gear a couple of times since then so not too sure if it's the new garment materials, the paint finishes or a combination of both. My point; All summer I've been using the soft BMW rider trousers on a 2016 GSA...no tank/panel marks whatsoever.

You make a fair point, however this does not apply to the triple black. If you wore your trousers on a tb it would still scuff the sticker area. It IS a problem on these bikes

My tank didn’t mark at all when I wore jeans on the bike, it was only after wearing Rukka trousers that the tank got marked.

Daxaar, sorry you are missing the point! I am not refusing to ride the bike in case it gets scratched. I am refusing to ride it anymore until I sort this issue out with BMW. I do not believe the paint finish is fit for purpose and want the issue resolved. I have had my GSA's on lots of adventures in the past, done worry!

My tank didn’t mark at all when I wore jeans on the bike, it was only after wearing Rukka trousers that the tank got marked.

Trust me Nutty it makes no difference if jeans. All textiles will cause a certain amount of abrasion. You didn’t keep the bike long enough to find out. I used to be a technical paint demonstrator for the largest U.K. paint manufacturer so know a bit about paint. The Matt lacquer that was applied to your bike and mine will mark very easily. Once it is marked it cannot be restored. It spoils the look of the bikes. This is a problem exclusive to the triple black models of GSA For people who don’t have this model, please stop suggesting that the complainers are wearing the wrong type of pants. You may be trying to help but you are not. ALL triple blacks will scuff whatever you wear and once marked you either put up with it or have the panels changed.

The very latest triple black GSA do not have lacquer over the stickers - fact. Why not . I’d guess it’s because BMW recognise now the problem and it was costing them money. Unfortunately it will not stop the problem because the stickers themselves will scuff up and because they are black in colour, they will be visible really quick. The latest Rallye bikes also have stickers on the tank which will also scuff up but because they are a different colour, they may not be as obvious.

It’s a bad design and tossers should stop implying it’s the owners fault

My panels scuffed up after only a few weeks and I had the panels swapped as it spoilt the look of the bike. I then fitted protective film to prevent it happening again. I collect my 18 model yer triple black next week and one of the first jobs will be to protect them again. You shouldn’t have to spend £50 or whatever on a task like this !!

Trust me Nutty it makes no difference if jeans. All textiles will cause a certain amount of abrasion. You didn’t keep the bike long enough to find out. I used to be a technical paint demonstrator for the largest U.K. paint manufacturer so know a bit about paint. The Matt lacquer that was applied to your bike and mine will mark very easily. Once it is marked it cannot be restored. It spoils the look of the bikes. This is a problem exclusive to the triple black models of GSA For people who don’t have this model, please stop suggesting that the complainers are wearing the wrong type of pants. You may be trying to help but you are not. ALL triple blacks will scuff whatever you wear and once marked you either put up with it or have the panels changed.

The very latest triple black GSA do not have lacquer over the stickers - fact. Why not . I’d guess it’s because BMW recognise now the problem and it was costing them money. Unfortunately it will not stop the problem because the stickers themselves will scuff up and because they are black in colour, they will be visible really quick. The latest Rallye bikes also have stickers on the tank which will also scuff up but because they are a different colour, they may not be as obvious.

It’s a bad design and tossers should stop implying it’s the owners fault

My panels scuffed up after only a few weeks and I had the panels swapped as it spoilt the look of the bike. I then fitted protective film to prevent it happening again. I collect my 18 model yer triple black next week and one of the first jobs will be to protect them again. You shouldn’t have to spend £50 or whatever on a task like this !!

When I first got the bike, I only rode in jeans, so did around 1000 miles before I rode with my Rukka trousers, and up until that point there were no scratches at all. But the day I rode with the Rukka trousers, the tank got marked. My boots also rubbed the paint off the rear swingarm in the first 500 miles, so that was replaced under warranty.

The paint finish on the current bikes is a complete joke, especially when compared to other brands.:augie

First thing I did was fit a tank protector and Stompgrips.

Now the Stompgrips are eating my jeans, leathers and textiles. They are agressive.

But no complaints here, its doing its job.

"The paint finish on the current bikes is a complete joke, especially when compared to other brands"

Thats my issue with BMW !

Back
Top Bottom