2017 R1200GSA Triple Black - Tank Scratches / Mat Lacquer

2017 GSA Tank scratches

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silver-Surfer

Reaction score
Some thoughts

I have a new 2017 GSA Triple Black and after only 1,000 the mat lacquer is showing light scratches. I wear Rukka gear and never had this problem with my two other GSA's.

Has anyone had the same problem? I am not happy with the quality of paint / lacquer on the tank. I know about water based paints etc but come on, scratches after 1,000 miles! Thats like a sofa from Sofology which falls to bits after sitting on it for a week! Oh wait it probably would, but you get my point!

:mad:

I put a humvee Matt cover skin on mine the same day I purchased the bike(ordered the kit in advance), traveling 10 miles home, was enough to start marks.

I bought a paint protection kit for mine. It is specifically for a TB from signature custom design. A bit pricey but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polish them out with Autoglym car wax. Then put some vinyl adhesive protection film on the panels that are getting scratched

As for others, the first thing I did with my GS was to apply paint protection film. It was my first time at applying, and whilst there's the odd bubble or two, does the job and doesn't overly detract.

By the sounds of it the scratches should polish out relatively easily. Maybe start with something like a medium cut 2500 polish and finish with a 3500

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-car-care-and-detailing-products.html
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/lake-country-hydro-tech-hand-pads.html

Yep, mine scratched within the first 100 miles. Not impressed.

My tank had some light scuffing from my Klim trousers so after a bit of head scratching and a few phone calls to bahnstomer I had ventur shield fitted and now not a scratch in sight

Yep, same here. I copied the wonderlicked tank pad design in tuff clear sticky stuff and now the tank scratches my trousers :rolleyes:

I was one of the first to experience this when. I collected by triple black in September 2016. The tank sides scuffed up within a few hundred miles. Dealer tried to polish them out and that will not work. On this bike the stickers are fitted and then lacquered over the top and the lacquer is Matt finish. When you try polish marks the area being polished goes shiny but marks are still there.
I believe the latest bikes have the stickers and no lacquer on top so will therefore scuff even quicker. It’s a bad design BMW. Only solution is to fit protective film which I did. Do it quick though otherwise you will easily see the scuffs still.

Thanks for the posts gents. Appreciated.

This is my issue with BMW, why should I pay £17,000 for a brand new bike and within a few hundred miles I have to put after market protection on what is a poor quality paint / finish! I have the venture shield stuff but dont want to put it on until I have exhausted all options with BMW! Bike is currently in my garage on not getting used!

Not a happy camper :(

Cheers

Have a few small scratches on my 4 week old Triple black GSA. I have the Rukka Nivala suit which for £2000 I would of expected better. But hey ho. Bit of polish and wax and it looks as good as new. I am tempted by paint protection film which I know doubt will get done soon.

I was one of the first to experience this when. I collected by triple black in September 2016. The tank sides scuffed up within a few hundred miles. Dealer tried to polish them out and that will not work. On this bike the stickers are fitted and then lacquered over the top and the lacquer is Matt finish. When you try polish marks the area being polished goes shiny but marks are still there.
I believe the latest bikes have the stickers and no lacquer on top so will therefore scuff even quicker. It’s a bad design BMW. Only solution is to fit protective film which I did. Do it quick though otherwise you will easily see the scuffs still.

didn't realise it was matt paint finish - that's tricky. In which case, a resin wax as a filler would perhaps reduce the appearance, or protection film should disguise as you've said. But have to be honest, the situation would send me nuts.

Thanks for the posts gents. Appreciated.

This is my issue with BMW, why should I pay £17,000 for a brand new bike and within a few hundred miles I have to put after market protection on what is a poor quality paint / finish! I have the venture shield stuff but dont want to put it on until I have exhausted all options with BMW! Bike is currently in my garage on not getting used!

Not a happy camper :(

Cheers

You're refusing to ride the bike until you get a response from BMW?

Yes, but why should you have to protect a £17,000 bike ! It should be fit for purpose and not have to be protected straight out the box! They sell it as an adventure bike after all for god sake!

Back
Top Bottom