Cleaning spoked wheels.

martymcc

Reaction score
After giving the bike a good scrubdown yesterday I really need to get the wheels as shiny as the rest of the bike. What are your preferred methods for this?
2014 lc with spokes.
I know this is basics but it's my first bike with spokes and I might as well ask the experts!!!

I'd be interested in this too as I've had my spoked 2016 LC for a year+ now and still battle with getting them properly cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my gsa nano coated from new ( a month before taking delivery) this results in a thin protective coat that grime has tough time sticking to the bike. As far as washing goes, i use pressure washer and SDOC100. Bike comes up lovely every time and i wash it every 4-6 weeks as it is my daily commuter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a careful application of GT85 and a Microfibre, it contains PTFE so leaves them clean and mark free, and does not wash off to quickly. Aldi were doing large cans of GT85 for £1.95 on last weeks special buys.

I use the skin off my knuckles after getting in every nook and cranny with a cloth. And then a little ACF50 for good measure :D

After 14 years of OCD cleaning of GS's and GSA's in various guises ( I need help!) I've found the easiest device for dealing with the rims and spokes is a soft bristled plastic brush from a dustpan and brush set! Nothing more complicated.

Remove the wheel and get it onto a bench. You need a length of string of about 12-18" with a wooden toggle on each end to hold - the type used on duffel coats is the sort of thing you need. Wrap the string once around the spoke and apply autosol or another metal cleaner and using the toggles pull the string back and forth up and down the length of the spoke working the polish in. No need for scraped knuckles at all.

I get the housemaid to do it, far easier don't you think !

Duraglit, I cornered the market when Hein Gericke went bust.

A curved kitchen dishes bristle brush, asda 3 for £2 and wonder wheel's cleaner.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Spray the tiniest blob of ACF50 on to the base of each spoke where it enters the wheel rim. Spread this around the whole wheel, polishing it off with a dry cloth will take the oily shine off and return it to the matt finish it should be, it comes up like new (and it doesn't take too long).

Bob

I thought the wheels on the LC all had a matt finish (mine have) therefore they just get blasted with the pressure washer:nenau

Guys having had spoked wheels for 10 years I am afraid it's easier to just go retro?

Can of WD40 and a rag! Spray on rag and wipe it removes all the rubbish then I spray FS365 around!

Takes a while but does the job!

Hope this helps

Thanks guys, lots of different advice - which is great, I'll check the shed tomorrow and see what's in there already and go from there.
Maybe I'll just go for a wee run first though ........

After giving the bike a good scrubdown yesterday I really need to get the wheels as shiny as the rest of the bike. What are your preferred methods for this?
2014 lc with spokes.
I know this is basics but it's my first bike with spokes and I might as well ask the experts!!!
RAIN...

Hot bucket of soapy water and a microfibre cloth. Clean all the shit off .. dry the wheel. Spray a bit of ACF50 into a bowl .. take cotton wool budd .. dip in said ACF50 and dip on the spoke/wheel contact point. No rust never ever.

I use a careful application of GT85 and a Microfibre, it contains PTFE so leaves them clean and mark free, and does not wash off to quickly. Aldi were doing large cans of GT85 for £1.95 on last weeks special buys.

+1.
I use loads of this stuff all over the bike and never had any corrosion issues.
Also ASDA do it for £2.15. Good value when Halfords are selling it for £5.99.

I use GT85 all my bikes , cheap and brilliant and no corrosion , plus spoked wheels come up like new.

Definitely stay on top of the cleaning as my 2013 silver spoked wheels were stained/discoloured after a year and won't clean-up now. Avoid anything too potent and importantly make sure it all dries up as you can end-up with standing water if you wash and then put away the bike (and don't ride for a few days). I've got an airline at home so find it's always been useful to blow off the water after washing.

As a few others have said, it's best to get a soft brush or work them clean with a cloth (much more effort than cast wheels but do look better IMO).

Back
Top Bottom