BMW Mechanical Warranty and Breakdown insurance HOW MUCH???

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My shiny new bike is now 2 years old so out of guarentee, so.. for piece of mind I thought I'd buy the above which comes with every new and BMW Approved 2nd hand bike.
Last time I did this it was £350 p.a.

Now it's £450!!!

Any alternatives to such a rip off?

Yeah - I know. Next time buy a Kawasaki!

You're not obliged to buy it, you do know that don't you?

FWIW My 1200 GSA oilhead was 4 years earlier this month & my renewal was £385.

I don't know if it's model or mileage related but I was happy to pay.

The term 'mechanical breakdown' would be a worry for me. Most complex and therefore expensive parts on a modern vehicle are electronic.

I'm not sure but the figure quoted by the OP is probably without an excess - accepting an excess can reduce the cost - and may well include the Emergency cover.

As someone who was involved in a collision in France this year, I cannot praise too highly the level of service offered by Mondial assistance (acting for BMW). Hotels were paid for, taxis arranged and then two of us were flown home and our bikes repatriated, all with a level of support that was reassuring and comforting.

Add to this the fact that BMW parts do break down and they do corrode all to often, then the cost of the warranty isn't so much to pay

Bear in mind it can be paid monthly and if paid in a lump sum, any balance is refunded should you change bikes

My shiny new bike is now 2 years old so out of guarentee, so.. for piece of mind I thought I'd buy the above which comes with every new and BMW Approved 2nd hand bike.

Now it's £450!!!

If you mess about with the excess it will come down to under £400, however , as someone who had it I was expecially glad when at 35 months old and under 14,000 miles my bike required over £3500 of ESA shocks and switchgear

If you mess about with the excess it will come down to under £400, however , as someone who had it I was expecially glad when at 35 months old and under 14,000 miles my bike required over £3500 of ESA shocks and switchgear

Less than 3 years old and 14,000 miles - you would have stood a very good chance claiming under the Sale of Goods Act.

Now it's £450!!!

Deleting the 'European Breakdown/Recovery' element will make it considerably cheaper

No, buy a Suzuki.
They have a 3 year warranty from new !

Now it's £450!!!

The term 'mechanical breakdown' would be a worry for me. Most complex and therefore expensive parts on a modern vehicle are electronic.

Would you worry less about the likelihood of a breakdown of an electronic component, if you hadn't bought the cover? Or would you worry more?

Every year put £450 into an ISA - if your bike should go horrible wrong - use an independent to fit either self sourced new or S/H parts - or decent After market ( Wilbers for ESA etc) and I bet after three years you will still have Money in the bank.

Every year put £450 into an ISA - if your bike should go horrible wrong - use an independent to fit either self sourced new or S/H parts - or decent After market ( Wilbers for ESA etc) and I bet after three years you will still have Money in the bank.

This, plus an element for profit, is essentially what a warranty company does. Many bikes will need nothing, some will be average-ish and some will be dogs. As they cover enough vehicles, the stats work and their bet pays off; if they're a bit out, next year the premiums change to cover it. If you put all your money on one bike however...

You are, I agree, hedging your bet a little if you use cheaper parts, use the opportunity to 'upgrade' and/or use cheaper labour (including, if you have the tools, documentation, parts and skills, your own). In the end, it's about an individual's pocket depth and comfort level.

If i had gone down that route I would have had to spend the £450 plus another £3050 in the first year ie I would have needed to find over 3 grand to fix the bike with new parts or used the £450 and find another £1000 to repair it with used switchgear and used ESA shocks (which may have been no better in the long than the originals) so I would have still been well out of pocket

Glad it worked for you. I have had the warranty for 2 years now, both bits that needed replacing were not covered by the warranty - exhaust flap and broken tupperware lug on my RT. Good will sorted the exhaust with a contribution from me, tupperware I fixed myself. So no gain as yet, have used BMW rescue once, but I'm also in the AA. Will see at next years renewal if I carry on :)

Back
Top Bottom