K1100LT fuel pump noise

ChasF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got back from the first decent trip on the LT. The fuel gauge basically works but tends to fluctuate wildly once below half full. The bigger issue is that the fuel pump begins to whine loudly once the fuel level drops. After several fills triggered by the onset of this whining I've only been able to get a maximum of 17 litres in the tank meaning that in theory there is another 6 litres unused (or another 50 odd miles which would be useful on the motorway as comfort is not an issue apart from the deafening whine!)

So is this normal? I seem to remember my old K100RS used to whine when very low on fuel. Is there a solution?

Hello chas my bmw k1100l,t does the same when the fuel gets low don't let it worry you its ok as for fuel tank size only 18.5 litre tank, also my fuel gauge reads empty when I have a full tank I know I can get 205 miles to a tank I use the trip gauge on the dash , and the fuel light is handy when it tells me im low all good this end.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve read on other sites that it varies a lot from bike to bike. My k100RS used to whine a little but only when the fuel was very low. Some owners say that cleaning or changing the fuel filter can make a big difference. Also a French supplier offers replacement pumps at a reasonable price but only guarantee them if used with 98 grade fuel, claiming that 95 and E10 damage the pumps.

Back
Top Bottom