just back from a tailor made trip with Eagle Riders

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...and wanted to share my experiences. We rented 2 x RT's back in July 2016....yes 2016 for a trip that was planned for first week October 2107! Got a message from Eagle the week we were due to arrive that all the RT's had been taken out of service and that they only had GS's. OK so not a big deal but why wait until the last minute to advise?

We arrived at Eagle in LA only to find that the crappy and half broken sat nav - not even sure what model it was but it was a very old Garmin with a number of red lines running through the middle of the screen which showed the thing was almost totally shot.....was not working. We had to wait another hour and a half before they got this fixed.
Most annoyingly the GS's they had provided both came with cradles for the Navigator VI - the machines were almost brand new - a GS with only 5K on the clock and a GSA with 20K. I did ask them about this when we started talking about arranging the trip and they said there were no BMW cradles on the machines. Whilst I understand they want to rent the navigation at USD 25 per day I think they need to give you something that's fit for purpose....
Finally and thankfully I did bring maps with me we found out on day 3 that they had forgotten to load the pre-programmed route meaning we had to use the maps - the GPS was effectively useless.

So what did Eagle do well? Well actualy the standard of hotel they booked for us was good as were the bikes.

So would I recommend Eagle for a second tour - not really, as many have said on here before plan it yourself and arrange the bikes yourselves. Hotels in the US are generally of good quality and the routes are pretty easy.
Anyone want more details about our trip I'd be happy to oblige...

Hi

Your experience reflects mine from earlier this year. We specified our bikes at the London Bike Show for pick up in June.

All three of us were given road kings of varying milages, not the model we wanted at all. When it got to 120 degrees F, the full fairings and leg guards were a nightmare for heat retention.

Within four days mine needed a new clutch and primary drive, another needed new front wheel bearings.

If you push, they do provide a proportionate refund, and tim the UK rep we booked through was really helpful.

when i Did a trip over to San Fran ,we used Eagle rider. They collected us at the Airport and took us to their branch downtown !! we all hired Harleys. These had been prebooked. Our contact with Eagle rider then was over till we returned the bikes.

We planned our own roads and hotels. didn't use sat nav as it added to the bill. when we returned the bikes they were inspected for any damage, there was non and our deposits were returned. they then took us to the SAN fran Airport for our flights. To be honest I couldn't fault them .. the difference is though we planned our trip not them .

Rent with them frequently out of San Diego ( there is no one else )
An absolute bunch of twats.
The bikes are ok ... (I chose the Tiger 800) but everything else is shit.
Why do they employ such morons ?
Best avoided imho (where you have a choice)

Our last trip was just booked through a local Travel Agent. They got us on a Streetglide through ER, well discounted with no one-way fee & fully insured/waivers. Flights with BA & Hotels booked through American Ring, who have some decent routes in the portfolio. Everything worked a treat - the H-D was brand new, but I gather ER run them on the fleet for around 12months or 45k, at which point the bikes get auctioned off or sold via their website. Sounds lazy I know, but this saved any leg-work on our part. SatNav - personally I wouldn't bother, accepting that this means maps & research/google time.

I rented an RT TC out of Eaglerider LA, which was a pretty battered example with damage to both sides and about 20k on the clock.

The mechanic who checked it back in spotted the damage and started accusing me of doing it until I pointed out that it was already there when I picked the bike up and was marked on the rental agreement. As with all rental vehicles, make sure all the damage is recorded before you take the bike :thumb

He then looked really pissed off when he discovered it was running on fumes as the RT must be one of the few bikes where the pre-paid fuel option makes sense due to the large tank :D

We have just returned from an American road trip from New Orleans to Washington DC, it’s the second trip that we have done with California Sunriders, can’t fault them, both times we had the latest model of our requested Harley models and got great service from start to finish.
Hoping to book with them again for next year :)

Back
Top Bottom