F800gs ESA !

Gerry atric

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the principles of this system please ?
What I'm getting at is if I have the esa shocker what is it besides the correct switch that activates a valve I believe in the shocker ? Just thinking of retro fitting the system.
Any help appreciated.

The esa on a 800gsa works on the back shock only. You can adjust for solo solo + luggage and two up by adjusting the preload and you can scroll between soft normal and hard which changes the feel and ride. Retro fit? Good luck. JJH

I appreciate its only on the rear and it's actions/settings thanks but what actually changes the action of the shocker? I assume it's an valve in the shocker which alters the pressure in the shocker to give different characteristics but is it just altered by electronics or what?

I don’t know. There’s a wire going into the shock which carries the commands and power to do what’s asked. As to the actual mechanics of it I don’t know. Sorry. JJH

The esa on a 800gsa works on the back shock only. You can adjust for solo solo + luggage and two up by adjusting the preload and you can scroll between soft normal and hard which changes the feel and ride. Retro fit? Good luck. JJH
My 2014 f800gs adventure ESA couldn't do that. It was only sport, comfy and normal. However my 1200 can do both.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What we know
ESA only works on rear suspension.
ESA only has three switchable settings.(sport, normal,comfort)
ESA only has a wired connection to shocker.

What we don't know is what actually changes the three settings, well it surely must be that the pressure in the shocker is changed to give different ride settings by commands/signals from the wired connection. Is it simply voltage difference or are there different valves which open/close to change the pressure ?
BTW I have googled several questions but none answer what we don't know just what we do know i.e. The effects of the settings not how they are achieved.
I may post this in the 1200gs section to see if there are any experts there who understand the system better than our current understanding.
BMW techie over to you.

I think the TT rear shock upgrade, detailed on their USA website, explains the system. Essentially there are controls on damping as others have mentioned, together with a stepper motor for pre-poad.

Take a look at ................... https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Plug-Travel-ESA-Upgrade-Shock-BMW-F800GS-ADV-2013-on

Essentially a pretty simple system compared with many today, so I think we can expect something more state of the art when the F850GS arrives next year.

My 2014 f800gs adventure ESA couldn't do that. It was only sport, comfy and normal. However my 1200 can do both.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Could I be wrong? - yes of course I simply don’t remember. I traded it in last year February I think. I could be mixing it up with my 1200 Gsa which definitely has the features I outlined earlier. JJH

Well............I just did a bit more BMW research, rather than look at after market stuff. The Motorrad UK configurator is very opaque regarding the Dynamic package, but I found this on a US site (scroll down to about half way) : -

https://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2015_bmw_f_800gs_adventure_information

Seems I was wrong - the stepper motor is not for preload, that remains a manual adjustment, it's just for the 3-mode damping adjustment. Leaves the cost a bit questionable IMHO - BMW could & hopefully will do better.

I had spotted a mention of a stepper motor but the only one listed by Motorworks is for the exhaust on late fast road bikes.
I only have a Haynes manual for F800s before ESA but I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for 2016 bike with ESA.
Anyone got one showing the electrical system for the ESA shocker?

I can only suggest talking sweetly to your local dealer's service dept. - there doesn't seem to be anything on the web, probably for a good reason.

As I said before though, the benefits are very limited, nothing like the R series dynamic ESA, just a simple 3-way damping change. If you fit this with OEM parts, you need switchgear, wiring loom ext & a new shock with stepper motor to change the damping. I reckon you are looking at a spending a good £2k. Your call - I can't think of way to make the sums work. You could go for a good quality after-market shock with remote manual adjustment for half this, maybe even trade up to an ESA bike if that's your bag, bearing in mind the likely availability when the new F850s arrive.

Thanks for all the info.
I started this investigation due to buying a shocker off a 2016 GS and when it arrived it was an ESA shocker. So I wondered how feasible it would be to fit and what else would be needed to get it to work.
My understanding so far does not give me an inclusive list of required parts as I don't know how the system works.
I will try and visit the nearest BM dealer to see if they can explain the system. Strange there is very little info on the web.

Ah......that explains a lot. Might have been easier just to have returned the shock as a wrongun? I don't know what you paid, but is resale viable, maybe an ad on here?

The ESA bikes, with ASC, have a different loom, as we know....... make sure you are seated before you open the link........ https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-part...enture-main-wiring-harness/o/m156645sch887168. So presumably c£600 UK. Then there are various switches/components to price in too.

Even in your situation, I reckon the WESA system is probably the best way to go. It could also be removed & sold on if/when you part with the bike.

The guys at BMW Preston are pretty knowledgeable, with experience in mail order parts, so I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Yes Squibb resale will be an easy option but just wondered what the option was to fit and use. Another question is I wonder what the default setting is when the electrics aren't connected ? It's a shame as it's off a 2016 done only a few thousand miles and is immaculate. When I get the chance I will call into Carlisle and see what the BM expert has to say.
Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom