single cam or TC.. much better or not??

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone had both.. some say there is a big differance, some say there is very little... but I've not found anyone who's had both.

Anyone with experiance of this?... I'm thinking more performance wise when asking the question... many thanks :)

Performance and handling probably next to no difference. But the TC is more reliable and is said to have less vibration. TC is more popular and holds its value better.

When I bought my TC 7 years ago, I took out a single cam first to see if I could notice any difference as obviously price wise there was a big difference. I could notice a change in responsiveness.
Not necessarily performance but he TC just felt more tightly wound, more eager I guess Might have been me. But I could feel differences. I bought the TC.

TC is slightly more powerful, is slightly smoother, and has more whizbang electronics - than the first series.

And that's it - in a nutmeg.

Al

Okay.. thanks all.... as mentioned, prices comes into it... TC's I've seen at £6K up

Hex heads could be £3K up?

and pro-rata as they go up in value... so £2K to £3K differance in price... not bothered about a newer bike so long as its low miles and good nick.. so question really is, does the TC go £2-3K better than the hex head?

Less electronics sounds good for the older ones especialy as they age?

Am i going to be disaponted in a hex head if I buy one, then have a go on a TC? ( I know... never have a go on a TC is the answer :) )

probably. You could by a 2010 TC for a year and add to its 58k miles at the respectable price of £4300. FULL service history, still got BMW warranty..just sayin..

Frankly both are good. The TC is more about torque than power with 30 percent more at the lower rev range. Upgraded gearbox and final drive along with a slightly better traction control and ESA. If you go for a single cam make sure it is 2008 on as the upgrade over the 2007 models is significant....more so than the upgrade to the TC.

I do remember trying a TC when my SC was being serviced and thinking....nice but not blown away by the difference. I would go for a cheaper good condition SC over a 2010 ropey TC.

A strong recommendation is to get some AF XIED units....pricey at £350 but will transform the fuelling on the bike. Easy to fit and can be changed to another bike in the future when you come to sell.

The TC is the ultimate development of the pre-LC, most of the glitches of the 1200 since intro in 2004 were ironed out. Good gearbox and very responsive torquey engine. Get a TC if you can afford one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankly both are good. The TC is more about torque than power with 30 percent more at the lower rev range. Upgraded gearbox and final drive along with a slightly better traction control and ESA. If you go for a single cam make sure it is 2008 on as the upgrade over the 2007 models is significant....more so than the upgrade to the TC.

I do remember trying a TC when my SC was being serviced and thinking....nice but not blown away by the difference. I would go for a cheaper good condition SC over a 2010 ropey TC.

A strong recommendation is to get some AF XIED units....pricey at £350 but will transform the fuelling on the bike. Easy to fit and can be changed to another bike in the future when you come to sell.

Great info.. just what I needed..... and sort of confirms what I was thinking... Thanks... I'll see what comes along... 2008 up will float my boat either sc or tc.. what ever fits the price / miles / cond... and upgrade the AF's... Cheers!

Just been reading up on them... and it sounds like fitting a AF-XiED to a single cam could make it out perform a twin cam on the bottom end.. or at least come close.. So may be a better option to spend £350 instead of £2-3K... :)

I fitted AF-Xieds to my 2008GSA and it Smooth / Livened it no end.
I've never owned a TC but the Guy who Services my Bike changed from SC to TC and reckons there's nothing to choose between them if the SC has the right Mods done.
A good SC makes a great Bike in my Experience but I'm after a Change now so I'm going Japanese.
I'll miss the Character of the GSA but most of all the massive Tank Range.

I have both in the garage.
TC is a far better head design, with radial valves based on the HP2 Sport. The TC has a bit more go in it; it revs quicker, holds on to its power for longer, and has slightly more power low down. It also has less low frequency vibration, but more high frequency vibration.
The TC uses shims (that never need changing!), the earlier bike uses screw and locknut (that do need adjusting now and then).
The TC utilises dreadful cam chain routing, but the earlier bike has mini-push rods.

Like for like, electronic complexity is the same.

I'd probably recommend the TC, but I happily ride either.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi DeuceBG, I have a very nice (mint) Mk1 Bandit for sale in black.. only 13K miles from new if your interested? LOL

Stanley... really.. the Single cam has little push rods?... just like the original R100's? I'd assumed they were chain?

Hi DeuceBG, I have a very nice (mint) Mk1 Bandit for sale in black.. only 13K miles from new if your interested? LOL

Stanley... really.. the Single cam has little push rods?... just like the original R100's? I'd assumed they were chain?

Thanks Beaver but I'm going for a Versys 1000....

what the bike you are selling .. any details? send PM with pics if its time for it to go?...

My opinion,for what it's worth,
I've never owned a twin cam but ridden plenty,
They always feel like the the nicer bike of the two to ride but I have a feeling it's mostly down the the post 2008 gearbox,
I've never studied the specs but it feels to me like the ratios were changed and it suits the motor a lot better,it's also a far better change than the pre 2008 box,silky smooth!
So if the budget won't stretch to a tc,get one of the last single cam bikes.
(I'm sitting here after a few glasses of red so don't hold me to the date change but I'm pretty sure it was 08)

My opinion,for what it's worth,
I've never owned a twin cam but ridden plenty,
They always feel like the the nicer bike of the two to ride but I have a feeling it's mostly down the the post 2008 gearbox,
I've never studied the specs but it feels to me like the ratios were changed and it suits the motor a lot better,it's also a far better change than the pre 2008 box,silky smooth!
So if the budget won't stretch to a tc,get one of the last single cam bikes.
(I'm sitting here after a few glasses of red so don't hold me to the date change but I'm pretty sure it was 08)
Nope, you're pretty much on the Money MikeyBoy.
2008 MU...Just like mine ��

Back
Top Bottom