Nordkapp via Adversity....

Hi Barak,
Thanks for a great write-up.
I rode up to the Nordkapp in August. Actually started on the 1st and followed the same route up via Stockholm and Umea. I stayed most of the time in Hostels, which I booked about two days in advance via Hostelling International. Cheapest way I could find with one or two exceptions. Considering your experiences I was lucky with the weather, cold up the top but otherwise dry. That was until I came back via Finland.
I know where all their million or so lakes get their water. Rain like you've never seen it.
Came home via the Baltic States and Poland.
Glad you got home safely.

Looks like you had one hell of a trip.... I'd like to do the Baltic States etc. - something to think about in the future. :thumb We were certainly lucky with the weather - when we went to Norway in 2014, we were there for 18 days and rained every day!

What a great report. It just goes to show that even when things awry you can still have a great experience and unexpected things can be the most memorable, eg seeing the Northern Lights. Despite your problems you did meet your main objective and were lucky to be at Nordkapp on a good day.

Hats off to both of you :beerjug:

What a great report. It just goes to show that even when things awry you can still have a great experience and unexpected things can be the most memorable, eg seeing the Northern Lights. Despite your problems you did meet your main objective and were lucky to be at Nordkapp on a good day.

Hats off to both of you :beerjug:

Many thanks for the comments....:thumb2

Sorry to hear my old bike had FD issues, I guess it can happen to the best of bikes !!

It looks a lot less shiny than when I gave it over to you.... it now looks like a proper GS !

Fantastic ride report, you've got me thinking now !

Dan

Sorry to hear my old bike had FD issues, I guess it can happen to the best of bikes !!

It looks a lot less shiny than when I gave it over to you.... it now looks like a proper GS !

Fantastic ride report, you've got me thinking now !

Dan

Hi Dan, hope you are well. These things happen....apart from the FD the bike has been brilliant - done nearly 20K miles since I purchased it off you. It was certainly dirty by the time we got back - all clean again now. :beerjug:

A useful site for anyone planning a trip to Norway is Vegvesen.no - it has up to date information regarding road maintenance including diversions and closures, weather conditions, ferry crossings with timetables and webcams showing current conditions. Only available in Norwegian but Google Translate is your friend....

https://www.vegvesen.no/Trafikkbeta/?lat=61.83748&long=8.33655&zoom=5&lag=Ferjer,Trafikkflyt,V%C3%A6r-%20og%20f%C3%B8remeldinger,Vegkamera%20og%20v%C3%A6rstasjoner,Bomstasjoner,Trafikkmeldinger&listView=false

A useful site for anyone planning a trip to Norway is Vegvesen.no - it has up to date information regarding road maintenance including diversions and closures, weather conditions, ferry crossings with timetables and webcams showing current conditions. Only available in Norwegian but Google Translate is your friend....

https://www.vegvesen.no/Trafikkbeta/?lat=61.83748&long=8.33655&zoom=5&lag=Ferjer,Trafikkflyt,V%C3%A6r-%20og%20f%C3%B8remeldinger,Vegkamera%20og%20v%C3%A6rstasjoner,Bomstasjoner,Trafikkmeldinger&listView=false

Some site that is!

really enjoyed reading your report Barak..thanks for taking the time:beerjug: it will be 2019 for me as well:thumby:

really enjoyed reading your report Barak..thanks for taking the time:beerjug: it will be 2019 for me as well:thumby:

Thanks for the comments - hope you have a great trip in 2019....you won't regret going. :beerjug:

Thanks for this report. Enjoyed it.
Lots of people here suggesting they will do this in 2019...... Well, did you ?
Ill be doing this next year (2020) and I hope I have the courage to do it solo ? Never done any real solo touring, so this will be the one. Aiming for August.
Cheers again.:thumb

Thanks for this report. Enjoyed it.
Lots of people here suggesting they will do this in 2019...... Well, did you ?
Ill be doing this next year (2020) and I hope I have the courage to do it solo ? Never done any real solo touring, so this will be the one. Aiming for August.
Cheers again.:thumb
Crack on fella ,,,,,,I have done it solo twice , it's no biggie , if I can do it ,I recon most folk,s can :beerjug:

Just got back from Lofoten so I'll post a follow up report sometime next week when I've sorted the photos out....:thumb2

A great read and loved your photos. Looking at your bike loaded as it was made me wince but I'm only 5'7''.
I so felt for you with you're FD failure but take my hat off to you and how you handled it.

Really enjoyed that write up. Would love to do Norway but not sure I will get the chance. But, never say never.

Back
Top Bottom