Pyrennees in May 2018

Last year we sailed to Santander and spent two weeks travelling back through Spain and France to Roscoff.

This year we are riding to the tunnel and riding down through France to Spain where we plan to tour for about 10 days in Spain.

Booking.com worked for us really well as we just chose where we wanted to stop either the night before or during the ride.

I wouldn't plan nights ahead other than possibly the first and last nights in case you find somewhere en-route where you decide you want to stay.

We are tempted to book two or three nights at Isábena and explore from there - so if anyone has stayed there, how was it.

Otherwise have a great trip!

I live about thirty kms from Isábena, well as the crow flies ... so it's too close for me to think about staying there.

But it's a lovely area and the roads are gorgeous. Note that there's the village Isábena, which is tiny, and Roda de Isábena, which is equally tiny but has been 'done up' - tastefully - for tourism because of the even more tiny cathedral there.

So there's not much night life, or even shopping, but good restaurants all along that valley, river of the same name. Don't miss a ride too and from Benabarre, which is just out of the mountains and quite a lovely place, makes a great little round trip if you take the back roads. NB the road one the Port de Bonasa is one of the best in the Pyrenees and now that west of that the road to Campo on the N-260 has been finished it's a brilliant ride - have you got that one Simon W?

Intersting all the good feedback about Booking.com I've been an 'Associate' of theirs for about eight years, ever since I began my blog, and I get a commission every time someone books from the link on my blog - and above, of course! - last year I got my first 'premium', the princely sum of £94! Please help a poor old man ... :)

Regs

Simon

PS OK, OK before you all ask, heading east-west it's the A-1605 then the HU-V-9601 :) Beer please when you pass through la Pobla de Segur! :beer:

Thanks for that Simon

Really useful!

Be careful who you paint with your broad brush. The bulk of correspondents to this section of the forum are, of course, tourists. All enjoying ‘your’ Spain.

You mean "my home" shirley! :D

Tourists are what they are. I didn't cast any aspersions on them except to infer that they add to the problem of congestion, which they do. End of.

;)

but c'mon, Wapping. I apologised for the inappropriate comment and I acceded that you were probably right re-my initial post. Even going so far as to becoming a sub. You can let go of your angst towards me now.....

We don't have to be best pals. I'm not even suggesting we like each other, we just need to call a truce. If something I say offends you, then just say it, no need for sarcasm.

Hope you are well.

NB the road one the Port de Bonasa is one of the best in the Pyrenees and now that west of that the road to Campo on the N-260 has been finished it's a brilliant ride - have you got that one Simon W?

I do now :) :beerjug:

But yes, I do know that one

Our first night in the Pyrenees will be Thursday 26th July and we return on the following Thursday so miss Assumption Day by almost a fortnight. When we arrive we drop down into Spain, mainly because Le Tour de France is in the Western French Pyrenees at this time, the dates are a week later this year and only announced after I had booked the ferry.

I know about the crossing along the borders as I've ridden the Pyrenees a few times before, this trip is mainly for my wife to see it as she's never been there. I looked at the ADAC map and the Ride mag routes and came up with this circular route. I agree about booking the last night, probably goint to be in St-Jean-de-Luz.

Well the route is pretty much locked down now, 8 days in the Pyrenees 1269 miles, average 141 miles per day. I've booked every night, so no worries on route about a bed for the night.

Tried to ride the pass out of Larrau (not sure of the name)today and the Col’ D’aubsique and the one out of Larrau was impassable due to snow and Aubsique was closed at the top. Solid rain for the last 48 hours too. Long days but good to get out nonetheless

Tried to ride the pass out of Larrau (not sure of the name)today and the Col’ D’aubsique and the one out of Larrau was impassable due to snow and Aubsique was closed at the top. Solid rain for the last 48 hours too. Long days but good to get out nonetheless

Shed loads of snow over the weekend and the French don't clear the lesser passes ...

Ah, that makes sense then. Col d’Pailheres was still closed today, fantastic day though, great weather and roads.

I think there are several French pages about cycling in the Pyrenees that have updates about the passes-

Back
Top Bottom