Pyrennees in May 2018

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2 couples, two bikes. Arrive in Santander 16th May, leave Santander 23rd may. I have the Ride magazine and ADAC suggested Pyrennees tours as a basis/starter for ten, but we preferably are looking for a two centre holiday, where we can do a number of rides out from the same hotel, rather than moving hotels every day.

We are not looking for 'nadgery' little roads full of tight hairpins and steep slopes, but prefer roads with nice open bends etc etc.. Enjoyed the Picos last year, so moving to a new area next year

Would be pleased to hear people's suggestions for two suitable towns/areas to act as the bases for our holiday. We can then start looking at suitable hotels.

As an aside, should we consider dropping down into the Rioja region for one of our stays, or stick to the Pyrenees?

for the Pyrenees; We headed to Pamplona then followed the n620 to Barcelona. El pont de suert and ainsa are excellent stop off points.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paul,

The Pyrenees is a huge area, some 300 miles in length. The good news is, you have the ADAC map and the RiDE guide, so you are almost there. When faced with anything similar I look at the ADAC map of the routes and try to find towns that are on crossroads or at least T-Junctions that sit conveniently within the routes themselves. Crossroads towns are strategically important in wars, as they allow freedom of movement in several directions, which is just what you want. Their 'multi-way' communications qualities, means that hotels and restaurants spring up around them, too. Again, exactly what you want.

Having pinpointed a few towns I then do a Google surf on the names, sometimes linked with streetview. That gives me a fairly good idea whether I am about to stay in Hull or in Chichester. A Booking.com or TripAdvisor search of hotels, a quick look at their websites and I'm about done.

All that's left is carving out some routes. The ADAC / RiDE offereings will not take you down goat tracks, trust me. Use them with confidence. I do. Draw them out in a circle from your crossroads' base, tailoring each to suit your daily mileage expectations. I take a notebook with me, jotting down any decent places that I go through during the day, useful if I ever go back. It's proved invaluable over the years.

I'm looking at doing something similar in September next year. A couple of days in the Picos then moving over to the Pyrenees so very interested in this thread.
Just one question though, could you please tell me where I can find the ADAC routes, as I've no idea what ADAC is.

for the Pyrenees; We headed to Pamplona then followed the n620 to Barcelona. El pont de suert and ainsa are excellent stop off points.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

N260. Sort is also a good base, but two days ride with a stop around Pamplona. Recommend the N260 if you haven’t done them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaca is a great base on the Western Spanish side... Great ride outs from there.... Including the type of road you mention.

Jaca has a lovely centre.. And plenty of hotels.

Hi Paul

We passed through a town called Broto, on the famed N260 road and although we didn't stay there we had a coffee and a walk around. At the end of our stay we both agreed that it looked the nicest place and would stay there next time.

We stayed for a night in a beautiful village as well, called Espot. Would highly recommend, a few bars, 4 restaurants or so but a really nice vibe to it.

If you decide on Jaca as a town to base which I recommend, we stayed at Hotel Jaques very bike friendly off street parking they even gave us complmenry bottles of wine when we left:thumby:
As for Broto yes agreed with Wonkey Donkey it's a beautiful town however it's very small and quiet with very limited choice of restaurants. I stayed at Hotel Sorrosal in Broto excellent hotel and amazing value with bike parking at the front of the hotel.

very many thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.

Ferries now booked, so now time to start researching and planning

I've made Jaca my base for two days twice in the past two years (does that make sense) staying at Hotel Jacques on both occasions. The parking there first time round was no problem and was charged 8 euros for two nights to park underground, which was half price, last time round (4 weeks back) I was told the car park was full, I refused to accept this and stood my ground til they allowed me to park there, though charged full price this time round :rolleyes:

Anyway, there was a reason for staying in Jaca, loads of options for runs and yes the N260 is great but there are plenty others in the area, go sniff them out, you won't go wrong.

+1 for Jaca as one base at the western end and then Ripoll at the east - if you fancy a change you can get a train from there direct to Barcelona ...

Don't forget that some of the best 'open' roads that you are looking for criss-cross over the border into France, but always plan to stay/eat in Spain - but would say that wouldn't I! :)

Regs

Simon

Hi Paul

We passed through a town called Broto, on the famed N260 road and although we didn't stay there we had a coffee and a walk around. At the end of our stay we both agreed that it looked the nicest place and would stay there next time.

We stayed for a night in a beautiful village as well, called Espot. Would highly recommend, a few bars, 4 restaurants or so but a really nice vibe to it.

Rather surprisingly Torla, which is just off the N-260 and is the 'gateway' to the Ordesa National Park, is far less touristy than Broto. It also has the advantage of being the bus stop for getting into the Park in the summer months,when traffic is banned even as far as the central car park. This thing about the bus is that you have to be there before 08.30 to avoid horrendous queues but the Park is a 'must do' in the Pyrenees, even for a few hours strolling as serious walking there needs all the gear ...

ordesa11.jpg

ordesa10.jpg

Ditto for Espot, from there taxis run into a central stop off for the of the and you can walk around quite a lot without needing walking boots.

67730020.jpg

Espot gives you access to the San Maurici section of the Aigüestortes i Estany de San Maurici National park, which the other 'must do' in the Pyrenees ... for the Aigüestortes section you have to enter from Boi in the west.

Regs

Simon

Hi Paul

We stayed in Broto for two nights a month ago. There is a good selection of restaurants and a 10 minute walk to the local waterfall. We actually took a day off the bike to go hiking in the Ordesa National Park just up the road. We stayed at Hotel Latre. It was great value, even for Spain.

Paul, this looks like a pretty good tour:

f0b8696cebbd6706641adfd990857f17.jpg

If anyone wants this as a Garmin route PM me with your email (its 2.7mb) the route is 1121 miles long, 30h42mins traveling time

Thank you Mr Wapping

Can you host them on something like Dropbox and share them that way from within this thread?

Can you host them on something like Dropbox and share them that way from within this thread?

I had a try, looked good but didn't work, bollocks, no matter, if anyone wants it see above

Sorry, lots of love, Martin

PS, I'm too tight to have a £10 dropbox account, I'm from Yorkshire lol

“Nowhere near the mountains” in Spain = very hilly with great roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom