GS headlight casing

Jon T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me how the fasteners that hold the GS headlight enclosure thing function? Mine is missing one of the long M4 screws and captive nuts, imaginatively replaced with a tie wrap around the speedo area - the other three screws seem to be captive in some way. Is there some rubber sleeve in the holes in the back half that the screws go through, as the one hole without a screw in just seems to be around 8mm straight through. The cross heads of the 3 remaining screws are worn to buggery and I'd like to replace them, but I can't get them out using reasonable force.

It's tempting to spring for a Siebenrock replacement at £120 or so, bit I'd like to keep it original if possible, just fix a PO's bodgery.

I've had a look at the fiches, but can't really make out what's going on. I must be thick...

Ta, Jon

One half of the 'clamshell' has threaded brass inserts moulded in and the other half then has to be screwed to them.

I replaced the long M3 (?) bolts with stainless 'cap-head' items that require an Allen key. They work but its a bit of a 'B' of a job.

As I recall, I had to re-thread one insert to M4 (?) as the thread was damaged.

I don't look forward to adjusting the headlight angle or replacing a bulb!

Having it plugged onto rubber mounts with a single M6 retaining bolt is useful though.

Bob.

Ah, thanks for the info. So were the screws captive on your bike then? I can't simply push them out on mine.

I've ordered up new screws, I'll make a new insert & araldite it in I think (it's an M4 thread on mine by the way). If I could only figure out what's keeping the screws captive. It's like they are threaded through a piece of rubber tube, that squishes down in length & out in diameter when you do the screw up...

Its a while since I last took mine apart so they could well be M4 with one M5 (memory isn't good). The machine screws are not captive, but the plastic does compress around them and hold them in - usually - they can drop out.

Good luck with it.

Bob.

There are 2 adjusters and a pivot. I have a "spare" one but it has two of the white nylon bushes missing. One pivot and one adjuster.
I started to chip one out of the solid to take either the standard light or a twin unit, but lost interest :)

Attachments

• adj.jpg
    adj.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 265
  • piv1.jpg
    piv1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 254
  • fram1.jpg
    fram1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 238
I think the OP has the earlier round headlight model going off his description.

The very same, thanks for the pictures though, no wonder I didn’t recognise them ��

I sprang for a new one in the end & it has just arrived - a lovely bit of kit it is too. Only regret is losing the hand written factory stuff on the inside of the old one.

Back
Top Bottom