Tools-what you carrying

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As stated. What tools are you guys starting collect for day to day riding? I know we get the awesome blanket of honda recovery etc, but are there any tools I'll need to have (can store on board) while commuting and then touring? Are you carrying spare tubes? Tyre spanners?Can you adjust the clutch, chain etc with the standard honda tool kit? What should I be shopping for? Thanks
I deffo want to do the outex tubeless conversion so will need to remove both wheels at some stage. Tools for that?

I don’t know what bike you have. I’ll assume it’s a Africatwin tubes are a giveaway. So going from my experience with a 800 gsa when I had one was a puncture was a mighty pain. So I selected the exact tools I needed to remove front and back wheels tyre levers repair kit and a mini pump which I made by braking off the plastic cover and just using the inside. 2 tool tubes carried everything. For my 1200 gsa I carry a can of repair stuff and a multi tool. If I’m on a trip I have a tool tube mounted to each pannier and there’s a few bits and bobs multi tool duck tape cable ties vice grip torch. JJH

Cheers for the confidence vote. I know they have breakdown and warranty etc...but you know, its noice to have something in the tool roll to do odd jobs if they pop up. Like mending a wire or taking the wheel off to get different tyres etc. Just curious that's all. I see some posts for the rear spanner, but I have a 22mm ring spanner which I'll see if it fits. How do you remove front wheel? Do I need a special socket size (like the bmw spindle thing). Same for oil plug. Simple queries that I am going to start getting organised. Chain adjustment spanner size. You know, those odd jobs that make life a chore when you don't have the right tool

I've not checked but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't enough tools to remove the wheels in the Honda fag box size toolkit. On Second thoughts it's a bit small

Edit just checked nothing to even allow you to adjust the chain . That's pretty bad really in fact it's rubbish. The front wheel requires a 17mm hex like on a gs
I've not got around to doing mine but I've got a place on my pannier rails where a pair of 16 inch tyre levers will be going. I expect I'll make a stash box for 12v pump decent tool roll and 21 inch tube

My daily ride -

Jump leads - HD
8 piece socket set & T bar
Multi screwdriver / torx bit set
Whatevers in the tool roll BMW supply as well

My daily ride -

Jump leads - HD
8 piece socket set & T bar
Multi screwdriver / torx bit set
Whatevers in the tool roll BMW supply as well

just to be clear, this is for my new Africa Twin...not sure jump leads will be required, or torxes...:)

Some things he's missing, in my opinion.

- Tube of Liquid Metal Putty to repair any holes to get you home.

- Air cylinders or pump to reinflate tyre tubes after repair.

- Roll of gaffer tape to stick stuff back together

Do we live in the Australian outback where we can't get recovery or the UK ? Did we carry all this shit 30 years ago ? FFS just ride the thing, isn'yt life too short to be worrying abut whether your 30kg toolkit is comprehensive enough...for the A247 or the M1 :rolleyes:

Do we live in the Australian outback where we can't get recovery or the UK ? Did we carry all this shit 30 years ago ? FFS just ride the thing, isn'yt life too short to be worrying abut whether your 30kg toolkit is comprehensive enough...for the A247 or the M1 :rolleyes:

Urm... I've done a lot of mountain biking in middle of UK on trails, chalk, slate, forests, and punctures are the feckin pain in your life. They happen out on trails. Not just spikes, but tyre gashes and all sorts of crap.

Being able to fix these punctures when RAC and AA will not stand a chance of getting anywhere near you for recovery.

I'm in. Been there, done that.

Not only that, but I can now change my own tyres at home and maintain the rims and tubes myself.

Bonus.

no we don't live far from services. We do live far from service! I'd like to be able to say I have fixed my own puncture before I die. Maybe i'll fix one, maybe I'll give up after that but to just wait for recovery is painful. I live and work in London. I guess I have about 45 minutes built into my morning run to be "just in time". That is not going to happen if I wait for recovery. Then I still have to get to school. Schools and office jobs have very different views on being late...And, I am keen to get tubeless tyres, so I can either pay over the odds for someone to remove, install, replace tyres or learn to do it myself...I agree its easier to get recovered, quicker to get tyres changed at a ride in place...but unless there are less free school places handed out willy nilly and more money, pay caps are removed...us teachers are going to have to find ways to still ride our bikes..anyway, so that's why I want to learn, try and do..BTW, all my trips north avoid the M1 like a plague. I hate m ways!

Some people like to be self sufficient . Who wants to be stuck by the side of the road waiting to be towed home because they can’t fix a poxy puncture or some other problem, You do.:rolleyes:
Me I’d rather get my tools out put a tube in and be back on the road in 20 min. It’s not a worry it’s a comfort knowing you have a good chance of fixing something especially when trail riding as shit often happens :D
If I see you by the side of the road one day and I’m in a good mood I might even help you :aidan

Back
Top Bottom