R1100GS front brake master cylinder leak

slaphead GSER

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have found brake fluid around the front brake master cylinder (underneath) , is this a common thing and do I just replace the cylinder or fit a repair kit ? The lid and pipe connections all seem ok.

i did mine last year gareth with one of the motorworks repair kits. it was fine until the heat in italy made it start weeping again. its still leaking (very slowly) so i’m looking out for a replacement as motorworks want £££. the bore must be knackered, or maybe i just didn’t do a very good job of sanding it out.

Mine has leaked like this twice over the years while we have been away on trips.. Both times i have taken it apart and cleaned away the crusty residue, reassemble and ride :beerjug: Must have covered 20k since the last leak :thumb2

Found fluid leaking onto the handguard with mine. Repair kit ordered from motorworks (not cheap for what it is) and fitted and so far so good. Good luck.

mine went just before a trip so fitted the repair kit, the following year the temps hit 35C and the bugger started leaking again! it was OK in the UK at our temps but the writing was on the wall, I ordered and fitted a new master cylinder from Beemerboneyard in the States as it worked out quite a bit cheaper, of course since then the exchange rate has moved!

Back
Top Bottom