Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ace to North Face

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Wow, Brilliant read, needs to be sticky'd in Ride reports

Have you got any reports from your other trips??

Wonderful - how, and with what, do you take those moving shots?

Damn, it's over. The long evenings are going to seem really long now

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
    However,thanks to your laugh a minute writing style and breathtaking photos,I've even been reading this at home in my own free time.

Great writing & fabulous photos
    Can't wait for Road of Bones report
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Style and substance, hung on to every word, ever thought of writing a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
    These Ride Reports are the highlight of the year on this forum.. Utterly brilliant.. Thanks once again for sharing them with us...

Two questions. How long were you away for and how many miles was the trip?

Thanks again..

R

Alright Rich - we left on 8th Aug and I got back to the UK on 12th Oct - 67 days I think. Miles - I think it was about 11000

Quote Originally Posted by blueranger View Post
    So......when ya going again?

Truly great reading.
    Well the bike arrives back in the UK this weekend... so ... Monday... I wish

I'm going to try and do the Road of Bones next year as a 'come along if you want' sort of thing as I've not been out that way before...

And I want to do another London->Tibet/Everest->Bangkok or maybe Hong Kong in 2019 - keep an eye on the open invite forum

I just have to attend to The Bitch's wounds first

I've got loads of bollocks from all my trips on my http://www.overlander.bike site

The moving shots - I use my D3300 and my left hand. I just ride without the clutch. And no I don't have a quick shifter so it can get 'interesting' at times!

I guess we all do don't we. Anything to make a few quid for the next trip! I don't think it will ever happen though.... unless there are any publishers lurking out there!

Truth is I've been extraordinarily lucky to do all this stuff in the first place. There are a lot of good ride reports on here from both near and far, and so a lot of good 'free' reading can be done. Who buys books now? Everyone wants everything for nothing!

Still, I'm happy to keep on adding to the library at every opportunity. Not everyone has the opportunity to do it.

Monkeyboy - you da man

Love to follow you round the globe, just be afraid I'd slow you down

You take care, start saving and planning. Me, I'll start collecting popcorn in advance of your next adventure write up

Steve T

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    Monkeyboy - you da man

Love to follow you round the globe, just be afraid I'd slow you down

You take care, start saving and planning. Me, I'll start collecting popcorn in advance of your next adventure write up

Steve T

You'd be fine mate. I'm really not a fast rider at all. Self-preservation mode comes on earlier every trip It pisses The Bitch off no end!

but if you insist .. OK .. I'll get saving ...

I was there ......

Like many, I have avidly read the trip report, however, I was lucky enough to go on this trip and thought that it might be of value to one or two if I gave a slightly different perspective on what was involved as a participant, but without Monkeyboys (MB) abilities as an entertaining author. This is not my own version of a report on the trip.

MBs eloquent prose is an accurate representation. It was a glorious trip. Clearly, individuals all have their own experiences and take their own numerous memories back, but he captures an awful lot of these collective impressions in his reports.

The agreement at the outset of this undertaking was simple. MB does the arrangement work, we discuss where we would all like to go and what we would like to see steered by his initial idea and greater knowledge of what’s practical in the timeframe we all have. We agree a route and timelines that benefits from that experience and effort both before and during the trip. If you have to do anything with regards to visas, packing lists, key dates etc, you get very clear instructions for everything you need to do. Once on the road, we had paid for the logistics and then pay for lunch and evening meals, drink and any extracurricular activities we wish to partake in. if additional costs crop up e.g. hotels have to change, more paperwork or guides etc, unless they are very personal or collectively substantial, that was covered. There were no hidden extras.

Its not a micromanaged tour where you are required to act like a herd of sheep. MB stuck a tremendous balance between an extended ride out and an “organised” tour. I didn’t want to be told what I was required to do every minute of each day, nor pay for a convoy of support vehicles. Its an adventure, if spontaneous stuff doesn’t happen, you don’t get the chance to engage with the locals, cannot appreciate where you are and what you are doing in your own time or do what interests you as long as it isn’t too disruptive to the rest of the group or objective, it’s a sanitised (sheep herd) tour and there are plenty of companies that will provide that at considerable expense. This trip didn’t cost anything like those and there was a tremendously pragmatic approach by MB of, let others know what you want to do and unless there is an overriding reason not to, feel free and if others want to do that, lets modify things accordingly. All of the party acted consistently in this regard as well.

Whilst you may have an impression of someone who heroically tears up the tarmac all day every day and by extension, the hell with everyone else, for nearly every single section he rides with huge mechanical sympathy because he knows what’s rational given the nature of the trip and is, importantly, consistently and quietly concerned that everyone else is okay. This often means he sweeps up during the day while everyone spreads out and works their own ways to the nights objective. Sometimes, rightly, he, we all individually, or collectively, pushed things along otherwise what’s the point of being on empty, great roads with glorious weather and scenery in extraordinary countries on two wheels? His organisational abilities were almost faultless and whilst we might have been aware of some of the dynamic challenges of organisation and logistics that a trip like this involves before and whilst on the road, we barely saw any of that effort unless we needed to do something. In this as with most things he did, it was done immensely quietly and professionally.

At the end of the day, the acid test is, “would I do another trip with him?” – absolutely. Where are you thinking of heading MB?

If you have gotten this far: Other Info:

Participants: Could anybody have come on this trip or was it a boys own adventure? It wouldn’t have mattered in the slightest who you are nor what your gender is. Anybody with a bike that worked, one or two up and had a sense of adventure.

Bike: We had a range of bikes and ages. Its not a run around Brands Hatch, but neither was it heading off into the great wilderness with a box of matches, a length of rope and penknife for three months. You don’t need a 1200 GSA machine gunned with the entire Touratech catalogue contents. A 500cc bike works just as well as was evident. I, of course, had the former which I loved on the trip, but did I need it? I just told the Executive branch at home that I did ……… but having done it, no, but don’t mention that. It did mean that I could cross continents comfortably and at impressive speeds, be very happy to use it on some of the less good surfaces and know that it will deal with everything far more capably than me, so I was very happy at the start and even more impressed by the time we finished. Interestingly, at the end of the trip, everyone said they would take their own bikes on a trip like this again, speaking volumes for “what’s best?”.

Luggage: People have done this trip two up with massive luggage loads. MB fits all his and pragmatic common support needs into two panniers. As always, its true, you need a fraction of what you think you need. Nearly everybody else took too much.

Accommodation and Food: We slept in some very good hotels, mostly good hotels and a few premises that were more basic because of where we were and what was around either through choice e.g. yurts, or home stays. Its not necessary for you to suffer these days just to have stories to impress people back home. They don’t care anyway. Most of the time, the local food was of similar standard to the hotels. Sometimes, admittedly, with more suckers or claws than you might want to see at home, but generally good and the roadside stops for lunches that we all chose at random were almost universally fine or good, be that a tin shack, truckers café or local restaurant. We ate out from the hotel most nights as its more fun than staying in your hotel. Additionally, you can get coffee, pringles, pot noodles and snickers bars anywhere in the world if you don’t fancy whats on offer or you fancy a change.

Off road experience? I had done one of the BMW off road courses and benefited tremendously from it, but again, everybody is on this adventure together and helped. People have their own views on those sections. The first time we went off road, I was happy to ride along repeatedly telling myself that at least I wasn’t dead yet when it got more mobile under the tyres and I was still upright, others, far more experienced, absolutely loved every minute of it. I look back on those, small in the overall trip length, pieces and can almost convince myself that I can generally hold my own and even take pleasure whilst doing it rather than just breathing a huge sigh of relief at the end. Dakar next? …. Not a chance.

Anything else? You’ve got a bike, passport and bank card. What else do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Recycleduboat View Post
    Like many, I have avidly read the trip report, however, I was lucky enough to go on this trip and thought that it might be of value to one or two if I gave a slightly different perspective on what was involved as a participant, but without Monkeyboys (MB) abilities as an entertaining author. This is not my own version of a report on the trip... *SNIP*
    Nice write up
    We will never be here again - have a good look around

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

It's been said by others before me, but what a cracking read, with great photography.
    I need to stop thinking of the reasons/excuses why not....

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678