Starter motor electrical connections

jefformston

Reaction score
Quick question for the collective. I think the starter is sticking on my R1200GSA (2012 Hexhead). There are two connections to the starter solenoid, one the main power feed which is attached with a nut and one I assume is the switch wire from the starter button. My question is:

Is this switch wire attached by a simple plug type connection so just needs pulling off, or is there some sort of clip keeping it on?

I don't want to pull it off and then find I've broken a clip or something else keeping it on.

Thanks gents, little job for the morning remove and clean the starter. Bike is refusing to turn over, not sure if it's the battery or starter needs a clean. Managed to start it using a DB Power 'booster' but battery light on the dash won't go out. Battery is only a couple of years old so hoping it's not that.

Let the process of elimination start.

Thanks gents, little job for the morning remove and clean the starter. Bike is refusing to turn over, not sure if it's the battery or starter needs a clean. Managed to start it using a DB Power 'booster' but battery light on the dash won't go out. Battery is only a couple of years old so hoping it's not that.

Let the process of elimination start.

Dont take this the wrong way, but i'd hope it was the battery,

Darn sight cheaper than a replacement starter ot alternator

If yours is a Valeo, stripping and cleaning is fairly easy.

Check the brushes, replacement brush packs can be sourced from Poland about £48 if i recall

A recon starter is around £140 - £160 more if you want to go for an alternative compatible make

Looks like it's the battery, put the old (original) one back in (stored for the last 2 years) stuck it on the Optimate overnight and bike fired up ok this morning. New 16 amp Motobatt battery on its way to be delivered tomorrow.

Wasn't a BMW battery so only a 12 month warrentee, so had to buy a new one. Going with another Motobatt although 16 amp as apposed to 14 amp, hoping this one lasts longer.

My 1150 is only on its 3rd battery in 16 years so they can last significantly longer than 2 years.(All Exide which maybe the difference).

Do you leave your battery connected to an optimate for extended periods, by any chance ?

Yes and I think that could be the problem, as the 1150 hardly ever gets hooked up to the Optimate and the batteries seem to fair better.

Battery or starter is easy to test.

Disconnect bike battery and start bike with car battery and jump leads. If its starts the bike battery is U/S. If it does not start the motor is U/S

Battery or starter is easy to test.

Disconnect bike battery and start bike with car battery and jump leads. If its starts the bike battery is U/S. If it does not start the motor is U/S

Narrowed it down to being the battery. Started ok using a jump pack and also the old original BMW battery I'd kept since changing it out a couple of years ago. Looks like the battery totally failed as it wouldn't take a charge from the alternator once it fired the bike up using the jump pack.

Batteries can last far ages or just pack up for seemingly no reason.

When my starter failed a few weeks ago the jump lead test proved it wasn't the battery.

Do a preventive bit
Three small mega long screws at the back of the motor keeps a small planetary gearbox fitted. Undo these an put a few blobs of soft waterproof grease inside the gearbox. Re assemble. Brushes are the same as for some cars (see under cheep)

My starter was suspect because it sounded like the battery was failing but starting volt drop was normal. £10 of voltmeter fitted to the bike was well worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom