Screen moves in stages!!

Mullabrack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Zumo 550 had not been used for a few years so I had the latest software update installed from Garmin along with the latest Garmin mapping. Now when using it the screen scrolls in jumps as opposed to constantly moving. Also I am past junctions before the map has reached them! Any ideas as the mapping cost me £55 so I would prefer to get use from it as replace it..

Any help greatly appreciated..

Also I am past junctions before the map has reached them! Any ideas...

Idea 1. Ride slower.

Idea 2. You haven't used the device for years and now expect it to perform brilliantly with the latest maps and software. Start by giving it some help....

A. If the maps are on an SD card that's been sitting around in the device as well, try cleaning the contacts. Any good, now?

B. Put a brand new (preferably straight out of the packet) decent quality SD card in, load the maps to it. Any good, now?

C. If you are loading the full European mapset, try again, this time choosing just a smaller area. Unless that is you really need to go from Helsinki to Rome via Belfast, Lisbon and Paris regularly. Any good, now?

D. Do a hard re-set of the device. Reinstall all the software and repeat stage B / C. Any good, now?

Idea 3. Chuck device in bin.

Any help greatly appreciated....

Have you tried post #2 yet?

If not, try an additional idea, too:

Bonus idea: If the device has an option to display in 3D mode, uncheck it. In other words, do not allow it to run in 3D mode. Is that any better?

I'd say you've wasted £55.

The bikermate who has given you two lengthy replies above has more time on his hands than me. :thumb2

Thanks gentlemen for the advice. I will try some of the options to see what happens. I can discount idea 1 as the speed doesnt really make a difference..:thumb

It may be down to the speed of the SD card you have installed try as above upgrading to a faster card and reloading the maps. Alternately it may be struggling for space in which case fit a larger card.

As said above a fast class 10 sd card is a must, also remove all of your unused and useless old files like gpx and mp3, do a factory re set, and if you are not going to be using all of europe in one hit, just try running with the areas you need, and if small enough run them from the device memmory and not the sd card, hope this helps.

As said above a fast class 10 sd card is a must, also remove all of your unused and useless old files like gpx and mp3, do a factory re set, and if you are not going to be using all of europe in one hit, just try running with the areas you need, and if small enough run them from the device memmory and not the sd card, hope this helps.

This :D

Im the first to admit im not tech savvy but the download from Garmin went straight to the device as opposed to a memory card. Also,if i do a factory reset will i not loss my recent installed maps? Maybe they are retained in my account with Garmin. Sorry for being a numpty!

Im the first to admit im not tech savvy but the download from Garmin went straight to the device as opposed to a memory card. Also,if i do a factory reset will i not loss my recent installed maps? Maybe they are retained in my account with Garmin. Sorry for being a numpty!

As already said the reset will do no harm, also i presume you only have uk and Ireland if the update is fitting in the internal memmory

Back
Top Bottom