What am I doing wrong?

apologies for the huge photo

Its a PITA trying to get it so you can see it clearly in a new tab and then capture and add a photo in mobile mode

In fact I gave up, e mailed it to myself and got up and went onto the PC

Bloody Technology

didnt think there were any mistakes I hadnt made at least once, but this is a new one!

I would say it tookl a lot of patience (and nerve) to get those in there like that!!

On those Errors you thought you'd seen them all??

I once got a call from a guy Could I have a look at his R80RT Mono as it was running very rough, i asked would it make it to my place and he said yes but slowly

Turns out that he'd changed the diaphragms and connected the throttle to the choke and vice versa on one side !! :eek

apologies for the huge photo

Its a PITA trying to get it so you can see it clearly in a new tab and then capture and add a photo in mobile mode

In fact I gave up, e mailed it to myself and got up and went onto the PC

Bloody Technology

I would say it tookl a lot of patience (and nerve) to get those in there like that!!

On those Errors you thought you'd seen them all??

I once got a call from a guy Could I have a look at his R80RT Mono as it was running very rough, i asked would it make it to my place and he said yes but slowly

Turns out that he'd changed the diaphragms and connected the throttle to the choke and vice versa on one side !! :eek

Off to the garage right now. Report back shortly.

Well then..............Bingo!! All in and turning over wonderfully.

Where do I start? The obvious hiding in plain sight. Yes a rookie error, but I'm no rookie. Rebuilt top ends many times. I cannot even think of an excuse. And no, there was no patience or nerve required to fit them, it was way too easy. Maybe this was the issue. But as in all things somebody has to carry the can. And I dont see anybody else in the garage!

A big thank you to all who chipped in but particular thanks to Dr Farkoff for nailing it. The only saving grace is nobody can see my blushes.

But now an even greater problem looms.

How do I explain this in the pub on Friday? An update will be expected.

Do I

a) Fess up immediately at the first pint (catholic guilt) and suffer the cold sober stares of disbelief, followed by mockery and humiliation?

or

b) Drag the conversation to the fourth pint using politics and footy as cover, then casually drop it into the conversation? This may result in slightly inebriated offers of sympathy which I can gratefully accept. They will have shot their bolt and it will be difficult to return to mockery the next day.

What say you all ? Do I have a get out of jail card?

Just goes to show a picture is worth a thousand words... :D

Well done for spotting it DrFarkoff.

I would have thought the collets would have fired themselves across the shed the moment the spring compressor was released.

Just goes to show a picture is worth a thousand words... :D

Well done for spotting it DrFarkoff.
Cheers :beerjug:

I would have thought the collets would have fired themselves across the shed the moment the spring compressor was released.

Yeah me too I'd have loved to been there and just "ting" the end of that valve with a toffee hammer just to see "what happens next!"

Another answer hidden in plain sight, I think...

Some of the best brains in S London have stood in my garage perplexed.

So, they didn't spot it either then, did they!

(Mind you, I thought you were clutching at straws with that statement when I read it the first time!)

Still sore? Remember: the man who never made a mistake never made anything. You've made an old boxer fit to fight again.

Glad it worked out well in the end. :)

Well then..............Bingo!! All in and turning over wonderfully.

Where do I start? The obvious hiding in plain sight. Yes a rookie error, but I'm no rookie. Rebuilt top ends many times. I cannot even think of an excuse. And no, there was no patience or nerve required to fit them, it was way too easy. Maybe this was the issue. But as in all things somebody has to carry the can. And I dont see anybody else in the garage!

A big thank you to all who chipped in but particular thanks to Dr Farkoff for nailing it. The only saving grace is nobody can see my blushes.

Do I

a) Fess up immediately at the first pint (catholic guilt) and suffer the cold sober stares of disbelief, followed by mockery and humiliation?

or

b) Drag the conversation to the fourth pint using politics and footy as cover, then casually drop it into the conversation? This may result in slightly inebriated offers of sympathy which I can gratefully accept. They will have shot their bolt and it will be difficult to return to mockery the next day.

The only card available is the one we all have to use sometimes! "DOH!" Don't ask me how I know but its connected with a non existent charging problem! :augie

Let him who is without hidden guilt cast the first stone . . . .

Like putting the 4th gear pinion onto an Airhead Gearbox Output Shaft the wrong way around - it looks good, feels good, all goes together properly BUT WON'T CHANGE GEAR :nenau.

I'll only do that once as I'm now paranoid about it :D.

Bob.

Let him who is without hidden guilt cast the first stone . . . .

Like putting the 4th gear pinion onto an Airhead Gearbox Output Shaft the wrong way around - it looks good, feels good, all goes together properly BUT WON'T CHANGE GEAR :nenau.

I'll only do that once as I'm now paranoid about it :D.

Bob.

Maybe we can open up a virtual confessional ?!!

People could get those hidden horrors off their chest!

I once overfilled my engine with oil, but managed to sort it by letting oil out of the gearbox. :doh

I once filled my old Cortina with fresh oil without fitting the drain plug.

It was that Duckhams green oil that was available at the time.

Oh the mess, the mess (said in the stylee of marlon brando in apocalypse now) .

i once took two model air planes to the flying field, but left the wings in the garage DOH !

I once fitted the carbs on my RD400 back to front and it ran - but not very well!

Once managed to put the plug leads on a Mini with the number one at the wrong end.
Lucky my dad had foreman's eyes.Well, lucky that time-------.
Loved that green Duckhams,had a Sunbeam Rapier with a full set of gauges when it came it out and there was a huge difference in running temp and oil pressure. It was actually made by Scottish Oils or BP as they are now called, but they were too scared to launch something radical themselves, so they let Duckhams do it in case it went wrong.

I once tried to undo the drain screw on a fork leg to change the oil and couldn't work out why it wouldn't come undone. Eventually it gave and started turning. About half a second later I realised I'd been turning it the wrong way:D

Back
Top Bottom