Battery disconnection.

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When disconnecting the battery, is it sufficient to remove the bolt on the right side under the red cap to be clear of the positive terminal or do I have to dig deeper? The negative is disconnected too and this is pre the installation of my hilltopped ECU.

Disconnecting the earth is sufficient to remove power.
Its only a precaution when installing an ecu.

I remove and fit ecu's on a daily basis without disconnecting a battery.

Thanks all. I figured the plug mechanism on the ECU would ensure a clean reconnect but Hilltop say that disconnection is “imperative”.

Usual practice is to disconnect the negative then, when your spanner also touches the frame as you undo the bolt, there's no danger of you arc welding yourself as they are at the same potential. If the negative is disconnected first, neither is there then a similar danger if you go on to undo the positive and do the same thing again!

Usual practice is to disconnect the negative then, when your spanner also touches the frame as you undo the bolt, there's no danger of you arc welding yourself as they are at the same potential. If the negative is disconnected first, neither is there then a similar danger if you go on to undo the positive and do the same thing again!
Yep, thanks, I understand tht. My question was down to the fact that the positive battery terminal on the left side has an extansion cable over to the right as it is pretty inaccessible. I wondered if something else might be attached to the actual battery.
Anyway, it’s all back together now and I’ll be off hooning in the wet in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom