Wow the price of a new fully kitted GSA !

is that not what a PCP deal is?

You are leasing a vehicle.

Years ago, the local Ford dealer was heard to say that "once we have them on 'Options' ( the first scheme for PCP I believe?) we have them for life". Which Neil shows in his post..

They do seem to have this attitude. I had a 1200gs Air cooled on PCP, when it came time to chop it in BMW were taking the piss on price so I went to triumph, 3 years later triumph were taking the piss so it's back to BMW.
It seems they will bend over backwards to get you on to their brand but not so much once they have you.
No matter though, there are lots of brands out there that want to entice you in.

In one :thumb2

One of the few ways to true freedom when you are beholden to nobody................. (well, as much as that's possible in our society)

Andres

Andres

Amen, that's the truth, when you are unladen and free to choose your own course.............then the master of your own ship, you can be

Frees the mind, gets you off the hamster wheel - work>pay someone

@ Johnnyboxer - Do you not sell / arrange finance?

Was in Honda yesterday, the Fireblade was just a touch under £20k !

Much of this if the value of Sterling which has gone down post Brexit. And you haven’t seen anything yet. There will be £30k RTs and top end bikes very soon. Whoever from you lot who voted for Brexit and f****d it up for the rest of us too... good luck to all of us...

Every other year I go to the NEC wondering if any manufacture has a product to rival the GSA. To date I have always come away wanting nothing other than the latest GSA, which is why I'm happy to keep with the brand and pay the price.

If you can afford and justify it, regardless of how it's paid for or funded, then have the bike that makes you happiest, why compromise if you don't have too?

Otherwise you'll turn into one of those BMW knockers - Who primarily exist because they can't afford one (disguised as too expensive) then buy an alternative bike and spend your days banging on about how much CHEAPER it was and how much BETTER it is than a GSA.

Give me a break...

@ Johnnyboxer - Do you not sell / arrange finance?

Yep, but doesn't mean I believe in it though:D

Consumer finance is the work of the devil and does this to people

We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

I work in commercial finance, where assets purchased earn many times their cost for the businesses, that purchase them..............unlike frivolities like motorcycles

With money we don't have

I work in commercial finance, where assets purchased earn many times their cost for the businesses, that purchase them..............unlike frivolities like motorcycles

I didn't mean anything by the question, nor was I implying anything.

I thought you might have made a 'professional' comment on PCP - which you have (sort of !)

Is all consumer finance the work of the devil ? is pcp any better or worse. I suppose PCP run by BMW is 'commercial finance' at the end of the day

Much of this if the value of Sterling which has gone down post Brexit. And you haven’t seen anything yet. There will be £30k RTs and top end bikes very soon. Whoever from you lot who voted for Brexit and f****d it up for the rest of us too... good luck to all of us...

The Euro is doomed and the £ will soon recover as soon as the money markets know what if any deal's done.

Currency values have always fluctuated. I've bought several BMW cars in France and CBRs from Belgium when the exchange rate was inour favour. Brexit wasn't even heard of then so just ride it out and try and work each swing to your advantage

I didn't mean anything by the question, nor was I implying anything.

I thought you might have made a 'professional' comment on PCP - which you have (sort of !)

Is all consumer finance the work of the devil ? is pcp any better or worse. I suppose PCP run by BMW is 'commercial finance' at the end of the day

No.......... it's consumer finance to the end user

I was being flippant over the 'work of the devil' comment

Of course it has its uses

However PCP has allowed people to use/drive high end vehicles that they normally couldn't afford too

Take Neil W's Seat man, who has gone from a Seat Leon FR costing maybe £15k to a £60k Audi Q7 (via an A4 and A7 IIRC)

He's a Leon or Golf fella normally..........but PCP has elevated him to a luxury vehicle worth 4x that of the Leon, normally only affordable to high earners

VAG have been cute and upsold him

Say his average term over the 4 car cycle was 2 years per car, he's probably paid £300/month (maybe more - who knows)

So 4x 24 months = 96 months @ £300/month = £28800 in monthly repayments and say every time up upgraded he chucked in say £5k x 3 vehicles since his Leon = £15000

So he's paid in rentals and cash £43800 to upgrade over time..............perhaps

So now he's 'borrowing'/'renting'/'hiring' his luxury Q7 and next year he's 65 and retiring and his income will fall, possibly making the Q7 unaffordable to 'rent' anymore

So for his £40k spends or so he may be left with S-F-A to put in another smaller car.............. as he may owe more on the Q7 than its residual value, when he wants/needs to offload

PCP has made him poorer and he may be left with no car

Is that good?

Depends on your version of reality?

He's had some (s)miles in his Audi's, he has looked great to his friends and friends driving around in a luxury Q7.............has it made him happy

Depends on how you 'define' happiness?

Like with all modern hallucinations it's instant gratification of an image he wants right now.

It made him happy for that period and gave him the 'front' of being successful. But when that bubble bursts, what has he got left?

Does it matter anyways? Enjoy the journey as much as the destination?. It probably only matters to him as no-body else really gives a shit either way :D

Like with all modern hallucinations it's instant gratification of an image he wants right now.

It made him happy for that period and gave him the 'front' of being successful. But when that bubble bursts, what has he got left?

Does it matter anyways? Enjoy the journey as much as the destination?. It probably only matters to him as no-body else really gives a shit either way :D

True enough

2014 rt lc £16000, 2018 rt lc £17000 that's only 5% increase + £200 for keyless

There's such a ridiculous amount of snobbery when it comes to money. I'm sure some on here would love to be living in Victorian times, when class was what mattered. Usually the same people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and daddy financed them throughout their life.

Money is only useful if you spend it. What's the point in living your one life if you aren't going to do anything on the journey through life? That doesn't mean to you need to be irresponsible though.

One of my friends was a right miser who had thousands in the bank but never did a thing. Died in his 50's and all that money was saved for nothing.

I could save for a new GSA - would take me about 2 years to save £21k (I earn high 40's). I could be dead next week, next month, next year though. Didn't get to experience a new GSA. Or I could finance it and ride it tomorrow. I have money for emergencies, I have a pension I'm contributing to but I'm not going to leave a penny more in my account than absolutely necessary when I die!

What would happen if consumer credit was stopped? Complete chaos, that's what. Massive unemployment, firms closing, economy in recession for decades. All because some jealous numpty has decided that people shouldn't get above their station in life and have things "they can't afford". Except houses, of course. Those same "I never buy what I can't afford in cash" morons are the ones mortgaged to their eyeballs.

Even worse are the twats who proclaim they would never buy something on PCP then say they took a loan out to buy the bike/car. As if it's any different.

With money we don't have

Nail on head, I asset financed a big mobile crane for the business, when I took into account the trade in value of the old one,and toted up the annual maintainance costs of th old one, it was a no brainer ,it cost us a lot less money to have a brand new one ,with the hugely added benefit of ,a warranty,and almost no down time other than routine maintenance .
For business use ,that asset finance was definitely making us some return

Even worse are the twats who proclaim they would never buy something on PCP then say they took a loan out to buy the bike/car. As if it's any different.[/QUOTE]

Nail on head,

I would take out a loan for a car - before I took out a PCP.

For one thing - you are not tied to buying a new/nearly new/dealer car.

Al (twat)

There's such a ridiculous amount of snobbery when it comes to money. I'm sure some on here would love to be living in Victorian times, when class was what mattered. Usually the same people who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and daddy financed them throughout their life.

Money is only useful if you spend it. What's the point in living your one life if you aren't going to do anything on the journey through life? That doesn't mean to you need to be irresponsible though.

One of my friends was a right miser who had thousands in the bank but never did a thing. Died in his 50's and all that money was saved for nothing.

I could save for a new GSA - would take me about 2 years to save £21k (I earn high 40's). I could be dead next week, next month, next year though. Didn't get to experience a new GSA. Or I could finance it and ride it tomorrow. I have money for emergencies, I have a pension I'm contributing to but I'm not going to leave a penny more in my account than absolutely necessary when I die!

What would happen if consumer credit was stopped? Complete chaos, that's what. Massive unemployment, firms closing, economy in recession for decades. All because some jealous numpty has decided that people shouldn't get above their station in life and have things "they can't afford". Except houses, of course. Those same "I never buy what I can't afford in cash" morons are the ones mortgaged to their eyeballs.

Even worse are the twats who proclaim they would never buy something on PCP then say they took a loan out to buy the bike/car. As if it's any different.

There are also those of us who have done all the that and are now happy with smaller less expensive things but knowing they coul have whatever bike/car they wished if they chose to do so.

I agree with your take on personal finance which is sensible. You clearly have a substantial amount of disposable income which many don't but still continue to finance things they can't afford, live hand to mouth don't have a rainy day fund or a pension.

Back
Top Bottom