Show me your spotlamp mountings on a 1200 TC GSA .more points for creativity!

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im interested to see how you mounted any driving lamps to the bike. more points for home brew setups.

Mine is a TC GS not a GSA - currently got aRugged roads light bar with HID FF 50 on top and micro DE on the bottom- it works but I’m not keen on the look of it.
SW Motech do a decent light bar but it doesn’t really work for mounting 4 lamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two HID's to replace standard lights and 4 LEDs designed for Mini digger in place of spots, brackets were welded to frames.
Light guards fitted in preparation of riding across China.
9d022c42a06877e502165220ce1d9528.png

Incredible power when all switched on.

JimmyMac

Two HID's to replace standard lights and 4 LEDs designed for Mini digger in place of spots, brackets were welded to frames.
Light guards fitted in preparation of riding across China.
9d022c42a06877e502165220ce1d9528.png

Incredible power when all switched on.

JimmyMac

looks great, what are the frames made from? any links to the led lamps?, they look good.

Close ups, judged crimped right onto cable for original spots.

Used a little piece of stainless bent over to weld the frame and the bracket onto.

bd05ef864a3aa2aa76bc32baba142230.jpg
bd502006d230eb90fa615c64457b1f05.jpg

JimmyMac

I tried some 30 degrees cone beam LEDs.
Dead loss because 50% of the Light was going skyward and what remained gave too much foreground light. Too bright to use as daylights.
At night I could see every pebble sliding under the bike but beyond dipped beam was like a black wall. Any mist was made worse by the scattered light.
A decent quality H7 LED bulb in headlight dip beam gives more than enough foreground light. You can have too much.
Another in main beam is ok but a halogen in main beam is pointless with LED (or HID) in dip.
Another LED in main beam is useful but still angled too low.
I fitted a pair of long range LED spots wired to light with main beam only. I can ride at any speed I like in the dark. Visibility is not an issue. They hang on the GSA OEM spot lamp brackets.

I tried some 30 degrees cone beam LEDs.
Dead loss because 50% of the Light was going skyward and what remained gave too much foreground light. Too bright to use as daylights.
At night I could see every pebble sliding under the bike but beyond dipped beam was like a black wall. Any mist was made worse by the scattered light.
A decent quality H7 LED bulb in headlight dip beam gives more than enough foreground light. You can have too much.
Another in main beam is ok but a halogen in main beam is pointless with LED (or HID) in dip.
Another LED in main beam is useful but still angled too low.
I fitted a pair of long range LED spots wired to light with main beam only. I can ride at any speed I like in the dark. Visibility is not an issue. They hang on the GSA OEM spot lamp brackets.

what spots did you end up buying sir?

I can ride at any speed I like in the dark. Visibility is not an issue. They hang on the GSA OEM spot lamp brackets.

That made me laugh Bendy, it is exactly how I gauged how good my new lights were. I went for a nighttime blast around the country roads with standard lights, could only go 40 MPH safely. After upgrading 80MPH+ was still fine so I figured that was bright enough.

JimmyMac

That made me laugh Bendy, it is exactly how I gauged how good my new lights were. I went for a nighttime blast around the country roads with standard lights, could only go 40 MPH safely. After upgrading 80MPH+ was still fine so I figured that was bright enough.

JimmyMac

The Les Wassall HIDs were great but when a burner failed LEDs are so cheap I took a punt.
While I waited a plain Halogen without aux “spots” was horrible. I pulled off a dual carriageway thinking there must be a problem & nearly hit the kerb.

My narrow beam spots were ridiculously low cost. Yet main case is CNC aluminium and beam is powerful. They have a silly three function but it’s easily disabled. Just bought another pair for under £20.
There is very little light scatter. On a right curving dual carriageway I can often use them without dazzling oncoming drivers. Obviously not on LH bends. ;)

I fitted the eBay ones to my Explorer, I used the halo ring as the side/parking light. The lights were no good compared to the BMW OE ones my mates had on their GSAs. Only any good as bright daytime running lights. Seriously I’d give the eBay ones a miss. I now have a GSA and the OE lights are far superior.

I fitted the eBay ones to my Explorer, I used the halo ring as the side/parking light. The lights were no good compared to the BMW OE ones my mates had on their GSAs. Only any good as bright daytime running lights. Seriously I’d give the eBay ones a miss. I now have a GSA and the OE lights are far superior.

It depends which eBay types you fit.
The type I have would be dangerous as daylights. Much too bright and with minimal scatter they are less visible either side of their narrow beam.
BMWs auxiliary headlights are strong near the bike. They are dipped beam pattern with a short wide spread and good cutoff. The spot LEDs are projectors with a bright narrow long range beam. They work well when aligned with main beam. They would be rubbish if used to help dipped beam.
The 30 degree conical beam lights with smaller outputs would be good as daylights. But don’t go too powerful. Mine were just dazzling with the wide cone only suitable as a camping light.

One caveat. My long range LED spots were bought without angel eye rings. It’s possible the angel ring version is less powerful but hard to tell from the specs.

The eBay lights I am referring to are the one in the link above my previous post. The lights don’t have a definitive pattern, so only really useful as daytime lights.

Back
Top Bottom