Servo ABS brakes

Servo Brakes Survey

• Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System ....SYSTEM FAILED..... Less than

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DrFarkoff

Grumpy Ole Git!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a survey for background information for an Idea I am working on

When you ride your bike do you?

a) Use ONLY the front brake lever (normally) as they are linked anyway System Still working okay

b) Use ONLY the front brake lever (normally) as they are linked anyway System failed and now removed/replaced

c) Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System still good (less than 10,000 miles)

d) Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System still good (less than 20,000 miles)

e) Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System still good (less than 30,000 miles)

f)) Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System still good (near or over 50,000 miles)

g) Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System
....SYSTEM FAILED..... Less than 10,000 miles

h) Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System
....SYSTEM FAILED..... Less than 30,000 miles

i) Always Use Both the levers to brake frequently/at all times System
....SYSTEM FAILED..... Less than 50,000 miles

I've only had my GS for a couple of months now (2003 R1150GS), done just over 1500 miles, and the bike has just passed 30,000. Personally out of habit I use both front and rear brakes, I did the same on my VFR800 which also had linked brakes. I don't know how the bike was really maintained for most of its life, though it had a lot of long periods laid up.

I suspect the fluids were flushed regularly by the owner still as it seemed fairly tip top when I got it, despite only having done about 500 miles in the space of a few years. Tempted to tear it out though as I hate the residual braking when the ignition is off, a pain in the ass when I'm wheeling backwards on a sloped drive after parking up. It also seems to be wearing through the rear brake pads in no time at all. Maybe normal? Or might just mean my rear brake needs a good tear down. :nenau

Just turned 60k miles. System working just fine. 05 GSA.

A) above applies to me

Note that in 5yrs of ownership I've changed the fluid about 6 times .

Mine were working fine at 35k miles, removed because they are feckin horrible. Bike is much nicer to ride now.

67K miles on a bike that has just turned 14 years old.

System has never missed a beat. (Touch wood)

(A) above applies to me. I only use the rear brake at rest and on hill starts.

:thumb2
Ian

(B) for me. 2006GSA and failed at 17k/10 years.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A long-overdue poll Dr Farkoff and well done for raising the issue:thumb2

My (limited knowledge) theory on any failures is because of (1) the lack of maintenance and, possibly, (2) the hygroscopic effect on the fluid in the system.

Wiki:
(Glycol-ether (DOT 3, 4, and 5.1) brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels.

My '05 GSA lives in a warm, dry garage and has never caused a problem and I suspect a combination of 1 & 2 (if kept in damp atmospheres) is a major factor in failings.

A long-overdue poll Dr Farkoff and well done for raising the issue:thumb2

My (limited knowledge) theory on any failures is because of (1) the lack of maintenance and, possibly, (2) the hygroscopic effect on the fluid in the system.

Wiki:
(Glycol-ether (DOT 3, 4, and 5.1) brake fluids are hygroscopic (water absorbing), which means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels.

My '05 GSA lives in a warm, dry garage and has never caused a problem and I suspect a combination of 1 & 2 (if kept in damp atmospheres) is a major factor in failings.
Except that my 55,000 mile R1200Rt has never had it's brake fluid changed, and is left outdoors in all weathers. I has never been in a heated garage.
One has to accept that a few fail, the majority do not, and there is little you can do to prevent a failure.
Myke

Myke is a Microclimate of unserviced unfailing Bikes !
All true, but you left out Unwashed!

I have had failures, E.G. fuel pump controller on present bike, bought an R1100rt with clutch slipping,
Suzuki DR800 had bearing failure in gearbox, but in recent years,nothing significant.

In a previous life, I went from one explosion to another over 25 years or so.
This was probably for two reasons:

1:Because I Drove everywhere as hard as the then vehicles would go,
and in reality they were not fit to go that hard for sustained periods of time.

2: Tinkering when I should have left alone: I ignored the old Merkin maxim:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I fixed things a lot that weren't broke,
and paid the price.

Myke

Use both, but no abs or servo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've picked (h), but the first owner put 24k km on the bike and the servo failed around 30k km, so his riding would have had more influence than mine. The failure was electric, rather than mechanical. The servo was immaculate inside. From what I can tell, the pressure sensor for the rear circuit was the component that failed.

As you probably know mine had a fair amount of corrosion inside. However, I'm still convinced the pressure sensors were the culprits in my case - original fault and subsequent fault 1000 miles after rebuilding with your second hand parts.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom