Another Hilltop Convert

I wish I could ride as good as you .

Yes that's correct. But dropping down a gear to raise the rev's into a higher torque delivery does exactly the same thing.... and that's free of charge !

Also, more torque = more strain on your clutch, transmission, final drive, tyre wear...

Why bait your system for higher wear rates when you really don't need it?

Also, full throttle overtakes.... really? :D You overtaking 20 cars at a time then? Drop down two gears and use full throttle. That'll wake you up, and it's free.

Not sure about 20 cars, cos I'm usually too preoccupied to count them...... But - done some lengthy passes where pinning the throttle open and banging up through the gearbox when I felt I should .......... yeah!

I think you are still applying Race-practice to Road-practice, though. Who doesn't appreciate a fat torque-curve in everyday driving/riding? One of the great benefits of turbocharging in cars.

Some riders take their pleasure from getting as many miles out of their fuel/tyres/oil etc - that's up to them. I use whatever performance I want to use, and the fuel/tyres/oil consumption fall where they fall.

Al

Not sure about 20 cars, cos I'm usually too preoccupied to count them...... But - done some lengthy passes where pinning the throttle open and banging up through the gearbox when I felt I should .......... yeah!

I think you are still applying Race-practice to Road-practice, though. Who doesn't appreciate a fat torque-curve in everyday driving/riding? One of the great benefits of turbocharging in cars.

Some riders take their pleasure from getting as many miles out of their fuel/tyres/oil etc - that's up to them. I use whatever performance I want to use, and the fuel/tyres/oil consumption fall where they fall.

Al

Yeah I understand that.

My last turbo-charged Petrol car had 440 Lb/ft of torque (600 nm) so that was a tyre eater. Torque in a car is as good as BHP, ask any Diesel Car driver.

But why would you ride your motorcycle like driving a car?, labouring the engine and relying on torque?

Sitting in high gears will just cause comfort braking and less control over the bike as the speed increases. In my opinion.

I value engine braking and midway rev balancing to assist my control of the bike and balance through corners, that isn't a race technique, that's just good technique.

But Ok everyone has different styles I guess. If you need a remap to boost your style, then so be it.

I'd be very interested to see a video of your riding style so I understand better what you are on about :D

Thanks, well it's just daft isn't it.

Nobody's going to really use all that extra 5 BHP you get from a new remap.

99% of people on here don't use what they've got already. Even if you overtook me, I'd still be on your ass through the next corner.

And if you overtook me, and I couldn't catch you through the corners, you probably didn't need the remap in the first place anyways.

If you're bike has terrible fuelling, and lurching uncontrollably with whiskey throttle, then fair enough, Warranty visit or a remap would be beneficial.

Or you are determined to save a little bit of weight and have a louder exhaust, get it remapped so it doesn't run lean.

But that's it really on this type of bike.

One of my favourite bike related stories involves a remap and a can to get an extra 15bhp.
I was out with a mate of a mate and we hit my favourite section of up hill very twisty road.
I pinned it and flew to the top leaving the other guy way behind.
When we got to our destination he was not happy but didn't say anything.
A month or so later I was on a work training course and he was there, he told me he had fit a new can and pipes and had a remap to get an extra 15bhp and wanted a re match.
This cost him about £900.

Apparently his busa was now something like 205bhp and the rest of the room cracked up when I told him the bike I trounced him on was only 70bhp stock but as I was still in my 2 years probation it was restricted to 33bhp.

Its all about having the right rider on the right bike on the right road.
I know a 70 year old bloke on a 650 suzuki adventure tourer (can't remember the model) who I have never seen bested on twisty roads no matter how powerful the bike.

All that said I am concidering a hill top.
I am 18.5 stone, can't mention the wife's weight and we load up for touring, apparently a hill top will give a bit more low down grunt and I do find the bike a bit lacking setting off.
My air cooled and my Explorer barley needed any revs to pull away but the lc needs a good twist.

I am 18.5 stone, can't mention the wife's weight and we load up for touring, apparently a hill top will give a bit more low down grunt and I do find the bike a bit lacking setting off.

Good story :D

In this case, with higher weight on the bike, then a remap would help you. In my opinion.

I was coming back from Ludlow to Kidderminster once with my mate. He was on a Fazer and me on my Bandit 1250 fully loaded with luggage.

We got to Kidderminster main traffic lights and a lad rolled up behind on a ZX-10R for a chat :D.... apparently took him 15 miles to catch us up. We were flying though and thank you to Wilbers Suspension :D ... and complicated traffic :D

Same on my ZZR1400 Performance Sport, I overtook one of the lead bikes (Lad on an R1).. He just didn't read the overtake opportunity ahead immediately exiting a corner (he tried outrunning me, but wrong gear, wasn't ready... no chance). He didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. Was an ex-racer and piss was taken.... Just how it is sometimes :D

Attachments

• Bandit.jpg
    Bandit.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 598
Another lad, years ago, racing through the lanes. Took great pleasure beating us all to the destination, or break stop. Sat there with side stand down, helmet off waiting for us... :confused:

Right up until he lowsided into an oncoming car midway through a corner one sunny day. Airlifted home. Never saw him again. Quit biking.

So I like to ride quick, but a good rider will see me not taking many risks, but without sacrificing to much fun. :thumb2

Yeah I understand that.

My last turbo-charged Petrol car had 440 Lb/ft of torque (600 nm) so that was a tyre eater. Torque in a car is as good as BHP, ask any Diesel Car driver.

But why would you ride your motorcycle like driving a car?, labouring the engine and relying on torque?

Sitting in high gears will just cause comfort braking and less control over the bike as the speed increases. In my opinion.

I value engine braking and midway rev balancing to assist my control of the bike and balance through corners, that isn't a race technique, that's just good technique.

But Ok everyone has different styles I guess. If you need a remap to boost your style, then so be it.

I'd be very interested to see a video of your riding style so I understand better what you are on about :D

Not sure where you are getting the 'labouring' from - when all implications of what I have written are of acceleration through the gears. Labouring is the inability of an engine to increase the speed by increasing throttle opening.

Al

Not sure where you are getting the 'labouring' from - when all implications of what I have written are of acceleration through the gears. Labouring is the inability of an engine to increase the speed by increasing throttle opening.

Al

Have you any video's of you riding?

Let's have a look :D

Has anyone had a euro 3 GS LC Hilltopped, been pleased with the results, changed to a Euro 4 GS LC and had that done too? If so how did they compare? I had my MY 2016 GS done and just changed it for a new Euro 4 GS TE so would be interested in knowing what anyone else who's already done it thinks that had both bikes done with their stock exhaust and headers in place. cheers :beerjug:

Good story :D

In this case, with higher weight on the bike, then a remap would help you. In my opinion.

I was coming back from Ludlow to Kidderminster once with my mate. He was on a Fazer and me on my Bandit 1250 fully loaded with luggage.

We got to Kidderminster main traffic lights and a lad rolled up behind on a ZX-10R for a chat :D.... apparently took him 15 miles to catch us up. We were flying though and thank you to Wilbers Suspension :D ... and complicated traffic :D

Same on my ZZR1400 Performance Sport, I overtook one of the lead bikes (Lad on an R1).. He just didn't read the overtake opportunity ahead immediately exiting a corner (he tried outrunning me, but wrong gear, wasn't ready... no chance). He didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. Was an ex-racer and piss was taken.... Just how it is sometimes :D

I've got plenty of knackered RST sliders if you want to swap em for yours :rolleyes::aidan

Back
Top Bottom