Another Hilltop Convert

The postal option is attractive to me but can anyone advise. How difficult is it to remove the ecu to post to Hilltop (2017 GS Rallye)? Would I need to dismantle half my bike??

To the Hilltop re-mappers, does your bike dash display a fuel consumption figure . When i bought my bike it showed 50 all day long ,after remap here , now shows 46,never changes.Let me know please.

Riding in a spirited way..... before remap 46/48mpg, post remap 54/57mpg. Two up on tour with wife in France this early summer, 59/61mpg (long straight roads)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The postal option is attractive to me but can anyone advise. How difficult is it to remove the ecu to post to Hilltop (2017 GS Rallye)? Would I need to dismantle half my bike??
- Remove seats
- remove battery cover panel and disconnect battery negative terminal
- the ECU is held between two rubber mounts front and rear and there is a cable clip on the right side of the bike that fixes to the ECU. Remove this first.
- ease out the left side edge of the ECU until the two plugs are clear of the tray.
- theres a plunger at the rear end of the smaller plug. Locate this and holding the ECU firmly, ease this plunger out. It slides the locking mechanism and as it moves, the plug will slide off the unit. This gets its cable out of the way of the larger plug which is removed in the same way.

Re-fitting can be a bit fiddly but it doesn’t take long - Follow Hilltop’s re-fitting instructions fully!

Is the mod invisible?
Apparently this is not a re-map but the addition of extra code into some unused memory. You might want to remove the Hilltop Motorcycles hologram sticker though ;)

Fuel economy;
I reset one counter before going out yesterday and after 159 miles it reads the same as the other one at 56 mpg.

Many people have called Geoff a snake oil merchant

I have had my last 3 bikes hilltoped and have been very pleased with the results.
I was considering taking my Hypermotard SP for him to have a tweak but I have just spoken to him and he says

With the full termi race system and the map that comes with it he doubts he can do much and its not worth paying him the money

Says something IMO

If Hilltop are just putting a new map into the ECU, then is a one size fits all? Surely not all engines are the same and the correct way is to dyno and tweek, or can the bike learn and update itself. Isn't this the same as fitting a power commander or something.

If Hilltop are just putting a new map into the ECU, then is a one size fits all? Surely not all engines are the same and the correct way is to dyno and tweek, or can the bike learn and update itself. Isn't this the same as fitting a power commander or something.

The do it by post option is not the best but decent enough
The fully customised done on a Dyno version is obviously better and the preffered way for geoff ( he would say this himself I am sure) but if you live hundreds of miles away it is still way better than the stock fueling

Many people have called Geoff a snake oil merchant

I have had my last 3 bikes hilltoped and have been very pleased with the results.
I was considering taking my Hypermotard SP for him to have a tweak but I have just spoken to him and he says

It's never going to spend enough time on the road so there is little sense in wasting your money,give it back to Ducati it's fucked.

Says something IMO

Geoff speaks a lot of sense :thumb2

The do it by post option is not the best but decent enough
The fully customised done on a Dyno version is obviously better and the preffered way for geoff ( he would say this himself I am sure) but if you live hundreds of miles away it is still way better than the stock fueling

Yes, can see that, had a map delivered from the States for one of my Harleys from a guy who had dyno loads of them with the same setup i had. He emailed the map, I uploaded to the bike and it was really good, I could have fine tuned it by self learning, but it was good enough. So can see it would work.

Fuck off

BTW I am in Nofuck this weekend if you want to buy me a pint

That's good because apart from a couple of hours at work in the morning I'm off to Leicester for the weekend to watch rugby and get pissed :beer: so I won't bump into you :eek:

Why would it effect your insurance ? It isn't a performance mod, it is about getting your fuel/air ratio correct and optimising your engines efficiency.

So yes I advised my insurer's, they didn't give a toss about it.

All about how you present information !

Why would it effect your insurance ? It isn't a performance mod, it is about getting your fuel/air ratio correct and optimising your engines efficiency.

So yes I advised my insurer's, they didn't give a toss about it.

All about how you present information !

Exactly.:thumb

After having my 15 plate GS breathed on by hilltop, I decided it would be at the top of my extras list if I ever changed the bike.

I have, and it is! Booked in with the group on 4th November. :)

See you there.

Considering this myself on my 2017 gsa lc, do I need to change my can too???

Considering this myself on my 2017 gsa lc, do I need to change my can too???

Changing the can costs the most and has the least effect, changing the headers is a cheaper and more effective spend, having the remap alone is by far the the most effective and cheapest improvement.

Not being the most technologically minded, I was swayed by the arguments and got my last bike dynoed at Hilltop and whereas I didn’t notice any overall mpg improvement I did notice that where I used to go around roundabouts in 2nd, I could now do quite comfortably in 3rd! In fact I was changing gear far far less often then before and the bike definitely seemed smoother.

QUESTION: As I’m picking up a brand new GSA on Monday, how many miles should I put on it prior to going back up to Hilltop?

MM

Not being the most technologically minded, I was swayed by the arguments and got my last bike dynoed at Hilltop and whereas I didn’t notice any overall mpg improvement I did notice that where I used to go around roundabouts in 2nd, I could now do quite comfortably in 3rd! In fact I was changing gear far far less often then before and the bike definitely seemed smoother.

QUESTION: As I’m picking up a brand new GSA on Monday, how many miles should I put on it prior to going back up to Hilltop?

MM
Find out how far Hilltop are from you..... that many miles :D

I don’t think it’s essential but I mght be tempted to leave until after the 600 mile service.

Back
Top Bottom