Another Hilltop Convert

It has now been 2 weeks since my 2017 GSA went to Hilltop and I promised John some feedback as I was unsure whether I would really be able to tell the difference not being very experienced with bikes.
For any sceptics out there it really does work well and if I can tell then you certainly will :thumb2
I've now done 200 miles and I'm finding it better and better. One big difference for me is how smooth it is at low speed, I used to find it would be lumpy and lurch around in 1st & 2nd but now its super smooth which is really impressive and totally transforms slow riding.
More torque lower down and it really pulls when you want it to, certainly feels quicker as well but smoother getting to those speeds.
Tried Dynamic today and its now a lot sharper in my opinion but because its smoother you can now go slower through villages etc without any lurching about.

All in all really impressed and money well spent as far as I'm concerned and if you're like me and thought about it for some time not sure whether to have it done the simple answer is do it you won't regret it. All the other guys on here that have raved about the results are not lying :D
As I said if I can see the difference you certainly will.

Big thanks to John (R1200GSAPILOT) for organising. It was nice to meet you,Tim,Andy and Darren :thumb

Hope this helps any others thinking about whether you should go to Hilltop.

All the best :beerjug:
JJ

It has now been 2 weeks since my 2017 GSA went to Hilltop and I promised John some feedback as I was unsure whether I would really be able to tell the difference not being very experienced with bikes.
For any sceptics out there it really does work well and if I can tell then you certainly will :thumb2
I've now done 200 miles and I'm finding it better and better. One big difference for me is how smooth it is at low speed, I used to find it would be lumpy and lurch around in 1st & 2nd but now its super smooth which is really impressive and totally transforms slow riding.
More torque lower down and it really pulls when you want it to, certainly feels quicker as well but smoother getting to those speeds.
Tried Dynamic today and its now a lot sharper in my opinion but because its smoother you can now go slower through villages etc without any lurching about.

All in all really impressed and money well spent as far as I'm concerned and if you're like me and thought about it for some time not sure whether to have it done the simple answer is do it you won't regret it. All the other guys on here that have raved about the results are not lying :D
As I said if I can see the difference you certainly will.

Big thanks to John (R1200GSAPILOT) for organising. It was nice to meet you,Tim,Andy and Darren :thumb

Hope this helps any others thinking about whether you should go to Hilltop.

All the best :beerjug:
JJ

Thanks for this JJ... great to read an honest and open opinion. might just have to scrape some pennies together and pull the trigger.

I’m sending in the ECU of my wife’s F650 GS (twin) as they have confirmed they can do it and it needs some more beans :D
Nutty was right, they can’t perform miracles. But they CAN improve the wee bike’s fuelling :D

Bear in mind that we already had a booster plug fitted and had to remove this before refitting the Hilltopped ECU so not quite starting from the baseline.

The characteristics of the Hilltop “differencel are the same as for the 1200 - smooth low down; more apparent torque; greater overlap in the gear ranges, but I wouldn’t say there’s a great deal of perceived extra power although I did have to slow down on the straights now and again. It was riding this wee GS from Norfolk to Scotland when we relocated that converted me to the artritis friendly, relaxed riding position of the GS family....... so I was surprised to find myself crouching over the bars and grinning like a maniac. Resuming a more gentlemanly posture I completed the test ride at a more sensible pace and found that the sum of the parts of the handling mods and the Hilltop ECU have significantly improved the flexibility of this bike.

Any one want a booster plug :D

Thanks for this JJ... great to read an honest and open opinion. might just have to scrape some pennies together and pull the trigger.

Hmm, I gave an open and honest opinion about whatever it is Hilltop does, but got abused, insulted and threatened by the ‘more money than sense’ morons on this forum. Whatever Hilltop does seems to be effective on some bike models and not on others, that’s why they’re unique in the tuning world by giving you your money back if it doesn’t work. Other tuners who actually custom remap the ecu fuel and ignition tables on a dyno don’t offer this because a) they know it will work, and b) they’ve spent 4 hours or more working on your bike (not 30 minutes like Hilltop).

But then you’ve no choice with BMWs cos nobody’s cracked the ecu to be able to remap it properly – you’re just left with PCV or Rapid Bike.

PS Anyone ever received a VAT invoice from Hilltop describing the service you’ve been provided with?

Hmm, I gave an open and honest opinion about whatever it is Hilltop does, but got abused, insulted and threatened by the ‘more money than sense’ morons on this forum. Whatever Hilltop does seems to be effective on some bike models and not on others, that’s why they’re unique in the tuning world by giving you your money back if it doesn’t work. Other tuners who actually custom remap the ecu fuel and ignition tables on a dyno don’t offer this because a) they know it will work, and b) they’ve spent 4 hours or more working on your bike (not 30 minutes like Hilltop).

But then you’ve no choice with BMWs cos nobody’s cracked the ecu to be able to remap it properly – you’re just left with PCV or Rapid Bike.

PS Anyone ever received a VAT invoice from Hilltop describing the service you’ve been provided with?

If you could point me in the direction of your post I would be interested to read it... the more open and honest opinions I can review, the better. :beerjug:

Firstly - I respect your opinion and appreciate this did not work for you.

Following on from that - there must be a 50/1 positive view of Hilltop, so I don't get why you feel the need to keep going on about your issue when all you have to say is it does not always work, and that was your experience. :confused:

I also think the money back guarantee from Hilltop - which you took advantage of, is probably the best around - I think the others don't offer it because it can cost them money - not that they don't have to. If this was the case they could offer it with no fear of ever having to use it.

My post is in here somewhere - but to reiterate, I have nothing to do with these guys, but for £300 I noticed the difference far more than adding a £700 end can :thumb

James

Following on from that - there must be a 50/1 positive view of Hilltop, so I don't get why you feel the need to keep going on about your issue when all you have to say is it does not always work, and that was your experience. :confused:

I also think the money back guarantee from Hilltop - which you took advantage of, is probably the best around - I think the others don't offer it because it can cost them money - not that they don't have to. If this was the case they could offer it with no fear of ever having to use it.

My post is in here somewhere - but to reiterate, I have nothing to do with these guys, but for £300 I noticed the difference far more than adding a £700 end can :thumb

James

Well said.
£700 end cans do sound nice though...

James

There are more of us than you think. Search for the other threads on Hilltop to get a balanced view. I got several pm's from others when I posted that in my opinion there was no noticeable difference , from members who didn't want the slagging off from the Hilltop fan club on here. Both me and a mate had it done at same time, both concluded it a waste of money and definitely wouldn't do it again. Funny how everyone appears to be such a riding god that they notice the additional power, smoothness they encounter. Maybe the graphs have a placebo affect.

There are more of us than you think. Search for the other threads on Hilltop to get a balanced view. I got several pm's from others when I posted that in my opinion there was no noticeable difference , from members who didn't want the slagging off from the Hilltop fan club on here. Both me and a mate had it done at same time, both concluded it a waste of money and definitely wouldn't do it again. Funny how everyone appears to be such a riding god that they notice the additional power, smoothness they encounter. Maybe the graphs have a placebo affect.

Did you get a refund?

Funny how everyone appears to be such a riding god that they notice the additional power, smoothness they encounter. Maybe the graphs have a placebo affect.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, it was good for me at the price, and the biggest differences to me was the smoother low down torque around 2500/300rpm when tootling about - throttle wide open I could not tell any difference, but the bike was also smoother than before, and didn't have the rough patch around 4500 rpm. It just made it a nicer bike to ride gently.

Every bike is different, it was fine on mine, perhaps not on yours, and definitely not on every GS out there - but you gave it a go and it was not for you, fair play, and as mentioned, money back if you let them know your not a happy bunny - can't lose really :nenau

James

Sorry it didn't work out for you, it was good for me at the price, and the biggest differences to me was the smoother low down torque around 2500/300rpm when tootling about - throttle wide open I could not tell any difference, but the bike was also smoother than before, and didn't have the rough patch around 4500 rpm. It just made it a nicer bike to ride gently.

Every bike is different, it was fine on mine, perhaps not on yours, and definitely not on every GS out there - but you gave it a go and it was not for you, fair play, and as mentioned, money back if you let them know your not a happy bunny - can't lose really :nenau

James

If you find the previous thread you'll see I don't say it didn't work, what I said is I couldn't notice any difference. I do admit my bike felt silky smooth from new, with no flat spots.

Definitely no difference in mine either.Absolutely nothing, and certainly not the 20% torque and power gain suggested by the supplied printout.Something was not right.Felt like I’d stumped up £300 for someone to thrash the tits off my bike on a rolling road.After 40 years riding I like to think I would have spotted the claimed increases.Couldnt be arsed going back.

Definitely no difference in mine either.Absolutely nothing, and certainly not the 20% torque and power gain suggested by the supplied printout.Something was not right.Felt like I’d stumped up £300 for someone to thrash the tits off my bike on a rolling road.After 40 years riding I like to think I would have spotted the claimed increases.Couldnt be arsed going back.

Says more about you, I feel..........

Back
Top Bottom