KTM 1290S ordered. Need advise on options

5,500 miles so far on the 1290S, plus 3,500 miles on the 1290GT this year. 8,000 miles last year on the 1190S. All trouble free with no warranty claims.

As for options, heated grips, nav bracket and lots of petrol

Radiator protector. I didn’t bother with my 1190 then lost 3 days of my holiday after getting a small hole in the radiator and had to have a new one airfreighted to a dealer then fitted before the holiday could start again. That wasn’t done off road by the way, I’m 99% certain a stone kicked up in a garage forecourt because it didn’t leak while I filled it then after I rode it over and parked it up by a small cafe attached to the petrol station it started spraying water out of a tiny hole.

The £500 cost to get the radiator and have it fitted was just a side issue compared to not being able to do as much in the 2 weeks I was away as I’d hoped to do. They dealer ordered me a protector with the new radiator but an Australian spec one arrived and the location holes didn’t line up so they wouldn’t fit it but I shoved it behind the crash bars where it seemed pretty secure and did another 3k miles without even bothering to use cable ties to secure it :rolleyes:

Does it not come with a radiator protector? I thought the 1190s did 2015 on.

I bought a leftover 2015 model in 2016 and the rad guard was an extra (reasonably priced IIRC)

Maybe it was just the R that got it then? The plastic KTM one is very cheap anyway.

I think the metal KTM one was about £50, seemed reasonable to me, especially as dealer fitted all the extras FOC :D

I have had some really rubbish aftermarket stuff in the past where the paint / coating falls off, or in the case of the R&G header protectors on my S10 the whole thing just disintegrated in a matter of months.

None of the Powerparts stuff has fallen apart or rotted, even the wobbly sat nav mount has managed to stay attached to the bike and in one piece despite 10,000 miles of wobbling like mad - and that has been improved on the new 1290.

Update
Extra’s ordered so far.

Sat Nav mount.
Radiator grill.
Rear sprocket.
Heated grips.
Tank protector.

On my wish list.

Better seat. Is the one piece seat any good.
Silencer. Like the Akro, but also like the wings and the arrow.
Quick shift, hill start etc.
Orange hand guards. Kinda ruled out the barkbusters as there about £140.

Does anyone know whether the plastic version of the rad guard fitted to the 1190 R would fit the 1290 SA S/R?

There is a different part number for the radiator but they appear to be the same except that the 1290 has bracket for the aluminium guard.

The 1190 and the 1190R have different routing for the petrol crossover pipe which gets in the way, but I *think* you can still get the guard to fit with a bit of tweaking.

Edit: I see now you are asking about a 1290 :blast Info may well still apply and the 1190R guard is not exactly a king's ransome to find out.

I found my 1190S seat awful, and the 1290S demo I tried was not better (possibly worse) but always worth giving the stock seat a go as you might find it OK, or even very good.

I doubt many people would disagree with the fact that the Ergo seats are much better - and not a bad price when you look at what other 3rd party seats can cost, I reckon I can go for between two and three times longer on the Ergo seat before really needing a stop....

...or just stand up more often.

So.... options now fitted.

Quickshifter.
Ergo seat heated.
Pillow Ergo seat heated.
Radiator protector.
Tank protector black.
Heated grips.
Mounting GPS bracket.
Orange Rear sprocket.
Pre filters.
Black akropovic.
White handguards.
Ginger clutch cover.
Ginger front brake cover.
Sump guard.
White 1290T Front fender.

Unknown Sat Nav. Either a Nav 4 or 5. Zumo 590 or Navigator VI.
Peli Storm iM2100 bolted to rear rack.

Reaseaching the Hill hold and the other two options on the travel pack. Think i will manage without for the time being.

With Hillhold, you can’t really paddle the bike back without turning it off as far as I am aware.

So.... options now fitted.

Quickshifter.
Ergo seat heated.
Pillow Ergo seat heated.
Radiator protector.
Tank protector black.
Heated grips.
Mounting GPS bracket.
Orange Rear sprocket.
Pre filters.
Black akropovic.
White handguards.
Ginger clutch cover.
Ginger front brake cover.
Sump guard.
White 1290T Front fender.

Unknown Sat Nav. Either a Nav 4 or 5. Zumo 590 or Navigator VI.
Peli Storm iM2100 bolted to rear rack.

Reaseaching the Hill hold and the other two options on the travel pack. Think i will manage without for the time being.

With Hillhold, you can’t really paddle the bike back without turning it off as far as I am aware.

I definitely need 2nd dibs on this Nick :)

So far, I’m not overly impressed with the Hill hold on my bike. Last weekend, it held the bike on a junction on a hill, then just as I was creeping forward slightly, it kicked in again, and stopped the bike dead. On a junction on a hill.:eek:

It’s a good job there was nothing coming.

Back
Top Bottom