KTM 1290S ordered. Need advise on options

Nick Marshall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thanks for your help with the insurance.
Now it’s the bike.

Paying with real money, so it’s a not buy everything. Just the bits that will be useful, add value.

Holding off on the luggage for now.

Short list.

Heated grips.
Crash bars.
Radiator protector.
My ride.
Hill start control.
Sat Nav mount.
Chain oiler.

Seat I will put up with for now. Akro Silencer I can live without.
Already have the sump guard. (Thanks Nutty)

Is the quick shift + worth it?

Nick, definitely get the quickshifter.It’s brilliant.
Never need the clutch unless coming to a junction or moving off in first .
I can also recommend Pivot Pegz though obviously not a necessity.KTM sell them as a power part.
My Ride is good but some struggle with connection depending on your helmet/comms etc.
Schuberth C4 works very well with it.
Quite a few seem to prefer the screen from the R to the OE screen on the S.
You’ll love the bike though,even if the R is better !

Bumot luggage works very well,though I hear the KTM stuff is better than the shite they sold with the 1190s.

And Hilltop gives a huge midrange boost

The quick shifter is definitely worth it.:thumb

I wouldn’t bother with MyRide, if you can remove it from a package separately.

You may want to change the screen; see how you get on with the stock one first.

Thanks for your help with the insurance.
Now it’s the bike.

Paying with real money, so it’s a not buy everything. Just the bits that will be useful, add value.

Holding off on the luggage for now.

Short list.

Heated grips.
Crash bars.
Radiator protector.
My ride.
Hill start control.
Sat Nav mount.
Chain oiler.

Seat I will put up with for now. Akro Silencer I can live without.
Already have the sump guard. (Thanks Nutty)

Is the quick shift + worth it?

SW Motech satnav mount, the ktm version is wobbly as feck
radiator protector deffo
chain oiler ditto
hill start, get them to do it as part of deal, its not a must have tho
crash bars, well, yes, coz you may well drop it on its side at some point.....based on my experience!
seat, only good for 60 miles before agony sets in...send it to tony archer....:beerjug:

No chain oiler here; three years old now, ridden all year round as well as plenty of mild off road with plenty off life left in the chain and sprockets and no oil splattered all over the back of the bike/back wheel :)

Andres

No chain oiler here; three years old now, ridden all year round as well as plenty of mild off road with plenty off life left in the chain and sprockets and no oil splattered all over the back of the bike/back wheel :)

Andres

I haven’t bothered with one either. Just a quick spray whenever it needs it only takes a few seconds.

Andres

Can you pass on some advice to Rick :D

Cheers chaps.
So the list will get longer by the day.

Travel pack - No idea what this is, sounds like the sort of shite the BMW dealer was telling me I have to put on a GS or the rest of the bike will be worthless come sales time

Spots - Never found the need for these personally, but I know some are very bright and may be a safety aid

Heated grips - essential for me due to riding 10 months of the year and doing a fair bit of touring, also handy in summer at times and saves time swapping gloves.

Tank protector - Got one on my 1190, makes sense

Headlamp protector - I have always run the gauntlet and in 30 years of biking not had a headlight go (car or bike come to think of it) plus a lot of people I know who have fitted them say their lights are shite with them fitted, so probably cheaper to remove the headlight and put it somewhere safe.

Rear sprocket - It definitely comes with one of these included

Sat Nav mount - Got the wobbly 1190 one, but as I glance rather than stare at the nav I have no big issue with it (and got free fitting when ordering with bike)

Radiator protector - Yep, KTM one is reasonably priced, I doubt the radiator is such a bargain.

Sump guard - nothing more than a gravel / dirt track for me, so one of these is just a waste of money and unwanted weight.

Bark buster hand guards - Again hand guards are standard fit, why spend any more?

Akro silencer - A remap will give 50 fold the returns so I would not bother, or wait for a used one to turn up at about half price.

Seats - If the 1290 is as shite as the 1190 a defo, the 1190 Power Parts seats also fit, so if I do get another KTM I would swap mine over.

Luggage - If not in a hurry wait and see what turns up 2nd hand, if I go for a BMW or Ducati I will be selling my KTM (Metal) Luggage off, typically hard luggage sells for around half new price.

Travel pack is.....

Hill hold
Quick shifter +
Motor slip regulator
KTM My Ride

Not cheap. But I think I want it. Negotiated a bit of a discount. So why not.

Not sure about the Quick shifter. Think you get it already on the upchange. But don’t quote me.

Back
Top Bottom