KTM 1290S ordered. Need advise on options

If they have evidence that the engine was over revved and there was a bent valve as a consequence, I don't think that's down to ktm trying to 'get out' of a warranty claim.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm pointing out that ktm are not quite BMW when it comes to warranty issues, they have a new bod and he's really keen to deny warranty claims if you have made messed with your bike.

Bike was at leisure trail.

Ktm are supplying and fitting my headers. ;)

If they have evidence that the engine was over revved and there was a bent valve as a consequence, I don't think that's down to ktm trying to 'get out' of a warranty claim.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

if ktm can analyse this from ecu data i wonder if they can possibly detect Hilltop map !

Seeing as it is an electronic unlock they would be better having it on all demo bikes so people could try, and having it turned on for the first xx days / miles or whatever (maybe up to 1st service) so owners can try it out.

Whilst I don't agree with most of your feedback/suggestions, I do think that this would be a great idea (although my dealer demo bike had all the electronic extras turned on).

Travel pack is.....

Hill hold
Quick shifter +
Motor slip regulator
KTM My Ride

Not cheap. But I think I want it. Negotiated a bit of a discount. So why not.

Not sure about the Quick shifter. Think you get it already on the upchange. But don’t quote me.

QS+ is definitely worth having if you can afford it. Since this is the bulk of the Travel Pack cost, for a little bit extra you could go the whole distance. However, I would recommend that you test out whether your headset and phone can be paired to My Ride. I have a problem with my headset but have since found out that there must be a fault with the BT unit or the dash, since I was able to pair everything OK to a loan bike that I had last week.

I'm pointing out that ktm are not quite BMW when it comes to warranty issues, they have a new bod and he's really keen to deny warranty claims if you have made messed with your bike.

Bike was at leisure trail.

Ah got ya and yeah, not quite as good as WMB but then they don’t need to be either :D

Andres

Whilst I don't agree with most of your feedback/suggestions, I do think that this would be a great idea (although my dealer demo bike had all the electronic extras turned on).

Who is your dealer? Might be worth a spin out if they have all the extras to try and they will let the bike out for an hour or so.

I also did not realise you could mess about with music on the screen either, I use a Synology App for music on my Android phone, I can skip tracks with the headset buttons but would still find it handy to do this on the screen, especially if I could also change playlists as well....

....but would really want to see this in action before committing, but if it worked with my phone / headset and I find I like the Quick Shifter I would probably go for the pack.

Who is your dealer? Might be worth a spin out if they have all the extras to try and they will let the bike out for an hour or so.

I also did not realise you could mess about with music on the screen either, I use a Synology App for music on my Android phone, I can skip tracks with the headset buttons but would still find it handy to do this on the screen, especially if I could also change playlists as well....

....but would really want to see this in action before committing, but if it worked with my phone / headset and I find I like the Quick Shifter I would probably go for the pack.

Crescent, Verwood, Dorset. Matt's the man.

I'd be very careful about changing out the headers, I was having my bike serviced today and the service guy told me about a 1290 that was a couple months old and had bent a valve, ktm refused the warranty claim, after plugging the bike in they were able to access the rpm data on the ecu and stated the bike had been over-revved, leading to bending a valve, customer was left with a £900 bill on a brand new bike that's Ready to Race

Do they not have rev limiters?

Do they not have rev limiters?

Yes, maybe the bike was slammed down to 1st at 100mph or something silly - who knows, some bloke told some bloke something....

...I heard Elvis runs a chip shop on the moon.

Crescent, Verwood, Dorset. Matt's the man.

Cheers, 100 miles from me so probably a bit too far, there is a new KTM dealer just opened not so far away so might see if they have a 1290 Demo, on the short run I did have I only really noticed a smoother engine and some bottom end grunt, but it felt really harsh like the suspension was rock solid, not nearly as compliant as my 1190, it felt stiffer in comfort than my 1190 does in Sport so I wondered if KTM are after the ex-sports bike rider market and I would be better looking at a GS next - but they are a bit boring compared to the 1190, or the Ducati - but I really do not fancy those sort of running costs.

Headers won’t make the bike over rev. But on a highly tuned engine they might (though unlikely) make it run weak causing overheated exhaust valves.
Bent valve = slamming the box down a cog at high revs. Driver error/abuse is not a warranty issue.

Headers won’t make the bike over rev. But on a highly tuned engine they might (though unlikely) make it run weak causing overheated exhaust valves.
Bent valve = slamming the box down a cog at high revs. Driver error/abuse is not a warranty issue.

no one suggested they do !! I'm illustrating that ktm are very keen they don't just accept a warranty claim like bm do, so sticking headers and non oe mods are frowned upon now.

Slipper clutch?

Only a real twat would abuse their own bike in a way described ?

There are quite a few horror stories around KTM refusing warranty claims, and even more on them doing bugger all about known design flaws such as the airbox, this is where BMW probably do better with goodwill often being extended beyond the warranty when they know the issue was down to their own failings.

The dealer also can make a big difference as they are the ones presenting the claim to KTM, a good dealer should present the claim in the best light to look after their customer and even push KTM (Good customer / likely to buy another KTM / Bike looks well cared for etc) to accept the claim.

This is also more likely if you did not get a quote for your bike from every dealer in the UK then buy from a dealer miles away / beat your dealer down to the point where he made next to bugger all or buy elsewhere and then want him to do the warranty work.

I believe warranty work is not well paid, so some dealers might rather not do it, especially when they are busy and risk turning away better paying work - to lose money rebuilding a bike for someone who bought elsewhere to save a couple of quid. (not suggesting this is fair, but nor is life)

Back to the original story, KTM would have to prove the headers caused the failure, or owner abuse did - I do not think thrashing or failing to clean can be classed as abuse, but maybe if the bike was dropped down several gears at high revs or some other serious miss-use took place.

An engine with ECU controlled rev limiter cannot over-rev itself.
If no other faults are found that could cause an over rev, it has to be rider abuse with the gears.

Ref KTM warranty - compared to BMW's I have hardly had to us it ;)

Only issues I have had to date:

• After picking up the brand new bike noticed some marks on the rear wheel - changed at first service.
  • Problem with blocked vent to petrol tank - caused fuel to boil in very hot weather - stopped for fuel and it gushed all over the screen when I opened the fuel cap wrecking the screen. Fixed the problem myself but KTM replaced the 1290 SA screen and mask without any quibbling despite both of these being retro fitted by myself.

......and that's it to date :thumb

Back
Top Bottom