Battery optimiser

It’s designed to plug into the power socket but has to contend with canbus switching everything off.
An Optimate connected direct to battery is more reliable and is supplied with its own little connector.

Why comment on something you know little or nothing about ? :blast

The BMW charger is specifically designed to use with canbus. Just plug it in (it already fitted with the correct plug) and away it goes. No fitting fly leads etc. I have one on my LC (Xmas prezzi) and it's been 100% reliable as you would expect.
Maybe it's the higher cost or people already have a charger from a previous bike?

Exactly !
I've had the BMW charger for three years now, and on my second GSA. It seems that people want to add extra leads hanging all over the shop rather than use this one ?
Or it must be too boring to simply plug it in the dash ?

Why comment on something you know little or nothing about ? :blast

Why comment with no additional reasoning - just a rebuke?

Neither smart or clever.........

But hey - carry on

Why comment with no additional reasoning - just a rebuke?

Neither smart or clever.........

But hey - carry on

Ill continue to be smart and clever with or without your smart and clever response :thumb2

directed at silly incompetent replies on here. Which is often, sadly !

Thank you for allowing me to carry on :D

So this was my solution rather than going direct to the battery with clips or having some random hanging Optimate hook-up leads:

But with a Santa supplied BMW charger I now just plug it into the socket on the dash. A better solution if you are buying a charger and don't mind the extra cost for the convenience of plug and play. The LC handbook does mention that you should not connect any other charger or you risk causing damage as well I think... :eek:;);)

So this was my solution rather than going direct to the battery with clips or having some random hanging Optimate hook-up leads:

But with a Santa supplied BMW charger I now just plug it into the socket on the dash. A better solution if you are buying a charger and don't mind the extra cost for the convenience of plug and play. The LC handbook does mention that you should not connect any other charger or you risk causing damage as well I think... :eek:;);)

Same as mine. Straight into the dash. Simples.

I have a few bikes, some new, some old, I have 2 Bmw chargers & 2 Optimates, I prefer the Bmw chargers especially on the newer bikes with Trackers drawing current etc.
I use the Optimates but prefer the fly lead direct to the battery, which I also use for heated vest & also for permanent supply to charge accessories without leaving key in the bike, So, both ways are correct & work equally as well.

I’m a qualified Auto electrician before anyone gets too excited..

I have a few bikes, some new, some old, I have 2 Bmw chargers & 2 Optimates, I prefer the Bmw chargers especially on the newer bikes with Trackers drawing current etc.
I use the Optimates but prefer the fly lead direct to the battery, which I also use for heated vest & also for permanent supply to charge accessories without leaving key in the bike, So, both ways are correct & work equally as well.

When the bike is stationary in the garage, a fly lead direct to the battery is probably the best option and certainly means that you can use any intelligent charger. But on the road, they flap around; get lost and, without a nodder, get dirty.

Yer pays yer money ....

Hi Phil
I have a BMW charger whch I bought from my dealer about 10 years ago. It has always worked perfectly with each BMW bike I have had over the years. However it is not charging my new (May 2017) GSA. The indicator light on the charger stays red. I am presuming that I need a new charger or is the charger ok but not good enough for the latest spec bikes? My bike is fitted with a tracker by the way.
Your opinion much valued on this Phil :thumb

Hi Phil
I have a BMW charger whch I bought from my dealer about 10 years ago. It has always worked perfectly with each BMW bike I have had over the years. However it is not charging my new (May 2017) GSA. The indicator light on the charger stays red. I am presuming that I need a new charger or is the charger ok but not good enough for the latest spec bikes? My bike is fitted with a tracker by the way.

Sounds like you need a new dual unit to cope with the Canbus system.Then get the 12V Din plug adaptor and plug it straight in to your socket on the bike.

Hi Phil

My BMW charger does exactly the same as yours :(

Hi Phil

Hi, I believe Bmw changed the canbus system on the newer bikes, I have a 17 plate Rallye & a new Urban, the Bmw chargers work on both bikes but mine are the newer digital Bmw chargers. I have one of the older Bmw chargers kicking about I’ll try it tomorrow & get back to you.
I haven’t tried the optimate as they’re the older model & I never tried to get a connector to plug in to accessory canbus socket.

Hi, I believe Bmw changed the canbus system on the newer bikes, I have a 17 plate Rallye & a new Urban, the Bmw chargers work on both bikes but mine are the newer digital Bmw chargers. I have one of the older Bmw chargers kicking about I’ll try it tomorrow & get back to you.
I haven’t tried the optimate as they’re the older model & I never tried to get a connector to plug in to accessory canbus socket.

Cheers Phil. Look forward to reading how your test goes

In addition to the issue with the canbus turning off the socket on the GS, which only a charger designed for the job will overcome, the batteries themselves on are now AGM batteries. These should be charged at a higher voltage (14.7v) than standard chargers will deliver (14.4v).

Charger quick test

See piccys, both work on R9T Urban, from overnight without activating ignition, both ‘get ready’ for approx 30 seconds before they start charging via the canbus connector.
Both are 14.4v chargers as one is approx 7 years old & the digital unit approx 3 years old & is a more powerful unit.
Couldn’t try them on the Rallye but the digital units work as that’s what I usually use.

Hope that helps a little..

Attachments

• 855DD140-25A8-4D40-8F4C-60CA93D44CF6.jpg
    855DD140-25A8-4D40-8F4C-60CA93D44CF6.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 339
  • 853F9D8E-9179-49BA-8F7D-AA06AC35BFDF.jpg
    853F9D8E-9179-49BA-8F7D-AA06AC35BFDF.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 303
In addition to the issue with the canbus turning off the socket on the GS, which only a charger designed for the job will overcome, the batteries themselves on are now AGM batteries. These should be charged at a higher voltage (14.7v) than standard chargers will deliver (14.4v).

Just for clarity folks. What's the consensus on my elderly Acumen Acumax 900 Smart Charger maintaining the battery whilst it's still connected to my 2017 GS TE?

Back
Top Bottom