New Stelvio

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I've got a chance to purchase a new 2017 model Stelvio. I would imagine it was built late 2015 early 2016, but was called the 2017 model.
I really like the Stelvio but swapped my 2014 bike for an Explorer as the Stelvio did lack a bit of top end grunt. I've now got a 2017 gen 2 Explorer and a 2009 Stelvio which is undergoing some restoration.

I don't do finance but would really like what could be the last new ,still in it's crate Stelvio. problem is I wouldn't have the money until June.

Do I swap my Explorer for the Stelvio and buy a new Explorer in June next year. Or stick with my Explorer and old Stelvio till next June and seek out one of the last Stelvio's. Although only a handful of the 2017 model where sold in this country.

Could be worse problems to have I suppose ;)

Well I've got a chance to purchase a new 2017 model Stelvio. I would imagine it was built late 2015 early 2016, but was called the 2017 model.
I really like the Stelvio but swapped my 2014 bike for an Explorer as the Stelvio did lack a bit of top end grunt. I've now got a 2017 gen 2 Explorer and a 2009 Stelvio which is undergoing some restoration.

I don't do finance but would really like what could be the last new ,still in it's crate Stelvio. problem is I wouldn't have the money until June.

Do I swap my Explorer for the Stelvio and buy a new Explorer in June next year. Or stick with my Explorer and old Stelvio till next June and seek out one of the last Stelvio's. Although only a handful of the 2017 model where sold in this country.

He who hesitates is lost.

:D

Why have a Stelvio and an Explorer?

They both do the same function.

Get rid of the Explorer and buy the Stelvio.:D

Why have a Stelvio and an Explorer?

They both do the same function.

Get rid of the Explorer and buy the Stelvio.:D

Suppose you could argue that most bikes have the same function.
But the Explorer and the Stelvio are very different bikes to ride. In purpose and ability the Generation 2 Explorer is without doubt the most capable bike I've ever owned (I don't take it offroad)
The Guzzi is much different, and could even be described as antiquated, but they just have a way of getting under your skin.

And yes I'd agree they're both capable of doing much the same, they just do it in very different ways.

Triumph's a bit like having a wife that really looks after you, will always be there for you, treats you well, and whilst you're very fond of her and wouldn't want to lose her she doesn't melt your heart.

Guzzi's like having a mistress that's a bit flaky at times and a little bit quirky, but makes you laugh and you love her to bits.

TBH, you never stop singing the praises of the Stelvio and personally I have no clue as to what ‘top end grunt’ is - change down surely. Sell the the explorer and old stelvio and get the new one.

TBH, you never stop singing the praises of the Stelvio and personally I have no clue as to what ‘top end grunt’ is - change down surely. Sell the the explorer and old stelvio and get the new one.

This is what I would do.

Triumph's a bit like having a wife that really looks after you, will always be there for you, treats you well, and whilst you're very fond of her and wouldn't want to lose her she doesn't melt your heart.

Guzzi's like having a mistress that's a bit flaky at times and a little bit quirky, but makes you laugh and you love her to bits.

Sounds like the GS and the KTM.

But the KTM is pure filth that wants it 24/7.:green gri

Get the Stelvio, and ditch the Explorer.:rob

Is Stelvio production coming to an end ?.

Difficult to put an exact date on it, but it would appear the last Stelvio's came off the production line around June 2016.

All the CARC models, Griso, Norge, Stelvio, are now out of production. Apparently due to difficulties in achieving EURO 4 emission standards.

Buy the new stelvio ;)
I may even buy the old one off you:rolleyes:
you never know

I had a wife , and a mistress.
All ended well ,
now the mistress is the wife:drool

Make sure you ride the best:rolleyes:

Sounds like the GS and the KTM.

But the KTM is pure filth that wants it 24/7.:green gri

Get the Stelvio, and ditch the Explorer.:rob

Indeed :thumb2

Wrinkley, here's a load of bollox I wrote in the KTM section about character. It equally applies to the Guzzi v the Triumph IMHO.........

It’s a difficult one as I think it’s a very individual thing so can only speak for myself…………..

It’s like women for me and what I do / don’t find attractive in a woman;
I could marry the woman my mother wanted me to marry. She would be a lovely person, be pretty and a wonderfully supportive home maker. We’d have a couple of kids, a nice house on a modern housing estate with a big telly and three piece sweet form DFS. We’d both have good jobs , the kids go to good schools and we have a great holiday every year at a posh all inclusive resort.

Our sex life would be fine, nothing to complain about and once a month we’d have a ‘date night’ and if I’m lucky she’ll have a few glasses of Prosecco over the usual and she’ll slip on her basque when we get home for an extra bit of spice. She’ll still have a box of tissues* by the bed though (*Copyright Nutty).

Or

I could marry that girl that I bumped into at a gig who was off her tits and dragged me back home that night for a right proper seeing to.
She’d be a strong independent woman, a better job than me and be very high maintenance.
She’d occasionally lead me astray and at other times be needy and like a little girl needing support and comfort. Sometimes we’d row and one of us would storm out the house only to come back later, tail between legs. We'd be open and honest with each other with strong mutual respect in everything that we do yet have own lives which occasionally didn’t include the other.
There would be no tissues* beside the bed (*Copyright Nutty) and when you shagged the whole bloody house moved. She swallows and loves it.

Now’t wrong with the first option at all but I’ll leave you to guess which I’ve plumped for

I had a GS for 10 years. It was ridden on three continents, took us on great holidays, did loads of green laning and even did the Tesco run. It’s the longest I have ever owned a bike which must say something……..but I NEVER bonded with it and had that emotional attachment. It was a tool, a very, very good one but a tool none the less. In much the same way as a car is to me. There was/is no emotional attachment. I bought it on that basis and was not disappointed but……………………

So in short, character to me is something that is less than perfect yet STILL has the ability to make me want it and love it over and above everything else. Anything that is perfect is no challenge, no fun and ultimately boring. Characterless.

Indeed :thumb2

Wrinkley, here's a load of bollox I wrote in the KTM section about character. It equally applies to the Guzzi v the Triumph IMHO.........

It’s a difficult one as I think it’s a very individual thing so can only speak for myself…………..

It’s like women for me and what I do / don’t find attractive in a woman;
I could marry the woman my mother wanted me to marry. She would be a lovely person, be pretty and a wonderfully supportive home maker. We’d have a couple of kids, a nice house on a modern housing estate with a big telly and three piece sweet form DFS. We’d both have good jobs , the kids go to good schools and we have a great holiday every year at a posh all inclusive resort.

Our sex life would be fine, nothing to complain about and once a month we’d have a ‘date night’ and if I’m lucky she’ll have a few glasses of Prosecco over the usual and she’ll slip on her basque when we get home for an extra bit of spice. She’ll still have a box of tissues* by the bed though (*Copyright Nutty).

Or

I could marry that girl that I bumped into at a gig who was off her tits and dragged me back home that night for a right proper seeing to.
She’d be a strong independent woman, a better job than me and be very high maintenance.
She’d occasionally lead me astray and at other times be needy and like a little girl needing support and comfort. Sometimes we’d row and one of us would storm out the house only to come back later, tail between legs. We'd be open and honest with each other with strong mutual respect in everything that we do yet have own lives which occasionally didn’t include the other.
There would be no tissues* beside the bed (*Copyright Nutty) and when you shagged the whole bloody house moved. She swallows and loves it.

Now’t wrong with the first option at all but I’ll leave you to guess which I’ve plumped for

I had a GS for 10 years. It was ridden on three continents, took us on great holidays, did loads of green laning and even did the Tesco run. It’s the longest I have ever owned a bike which must say something……..but I NEVER bonded with it and had that emotional attachment. It was a tool, a very, very good one but a tool none the less. In much the same way as a car is to me. There was/is no emotional attachment. I bought it on that basis and was not disappointed but……………………

So in short, character to me is something that is less than perfect yet STILL has the ability to make me want it and love it over and above everything else. Anything that is perfect is no challenge, no fun and ultimately boring. Characterless.

Well Andres, What can I say ? Absolutely spot on. Your above analogies are also very close to home.:green gri

For me the Yamaha Diversion 900 was low maintenance and dependable. We drifted apart.
The GSA is big but hugely better performing in a real world sense.
Probably no faster similar power and weight. But GS has me moving much faster than the Divvie ever could.
KTMs are filth but I get bored saying no. Too many speed limits to enjoy a proper bike like that.
Mad two stokes on the other hand.

Is Stelvio production coming to an end ?.

The engine/bike doesn't make Euro4 and MG seem reluctant to spend the money on it . The 1200 Sport was dropped last year too and I'm guessing The Griso will go too if it's not done so already. I've heard , but not read, about rumours of new models for next year and possibly a new watercooled Engine. I imagine we will find out very soon at EICMA ?

So, what was the outcome?

Generation 2 is a fantastic bike, and for me a bike which suits and covers most of my needs, so it will be staying in the garage.

The unloved 09 Stelvio, which was purchased as a project, is coming along and turning into a very honest bike. I shall continue with it's restoration, then sell it in the spring.

A new Stelvio was very tempting, but at the end of the day, although it's still in it's crate, it's a 2 year old bike and most probably a couple of grand overpriced.

So once the 09 Stelvio is sold I shall be looking for one of the last of the Stelvio's. Easily recognised by the black frame.

If you snooze you loose

I'd buy it on finance and pay it off in June. To sell your Explorer and buy another in June would be very expensive

Hi All

I have had my Stelvio for 2 years now and still cannot put my fingure on what makes it so addictive. It is not perfect but has something that makes it my bike of choice ( I have 4 bikes ).I think it brings back some old school motorbike sensations that are being developed out of some other bikes that on paper have more to offer.
I am hoping that Guzzi build a replacement at some stage but keeping the addictive bit that sets it apart.

Back
Top Bottom