Camping pots and pans

ninjarich1971

Reaction score
We heading into southern France next year and gonna drop the hotel and B and B stuff and do full on self sufficiency. I’ve had Coleman 533 for years for doing a brew when we in Isle of Man etc. Quite happy to buy quality as I’d sooner stuff works.
So was just wondering from those with experience, what’s the best cooking set to take with regards to biking and usefulness.
Also whilst we at it, what other implements are useful/necessary?
Quite looking forward to trying it, also is a cot a good/bad idea (obviously the type with a kid in it is very bad)
Any thoughts greatly received :thumb2

We heading into southern France next year and gonna drop the hotel and B and B stuff and do full on self sufficiency. I’ve had Coleman 533 for years for doing a brew when we in Isle of Man etc. Quite happy to buy quality as I’d sooner stuff works.
So was just wondering from those with experience, what’s the best cooking set to take with regards to biking and usefulness.
Also whilst we at it, what other implements are useful/necessary?
Quite looking forward to trying it, also is a cot a good/bad idea (obviously the type with a kid in it is very bad)
Any thoughts greatly received :thumb2

When you say we; do you mean , with the Mrs, or a bunch of mates; there's a world of difference. :D

Have a look at a Trangia with Gas or the all fuel burner.

All the pans, kettle and stove fit together taking up little space. I've used them for over 20 years, mountaineering, camping, anytime, and they've never let me down.

They're not everybody's choice but they're simple, lightweight and do the job.

I take a mug, bowl, plate, knife, fork, spoon, teaspoon, sharp knife, chopping board, wooden spoon, wooden spatula and spare pan handle (as they get hot if you're holding the pan for a while) A pair of sprung tongs can be useful too, especially for a disposable bbq.

Have a look at a Trangia with Gas or the all fuel burner.

All the pans, kettle and stove fit together taking up little space. I've used them for over 20 years, mountaineering, camping, anytime, and they've never let me down.

They're not everybody's choice but they're simple, lightweight and do the job.

I take a mug, bowl, plate, knife, fork, spoon, teaspoon, sharp knife, chopping board, wooden spoon, wooden spatula and spare pan handle (as they get hot if you're holding the pan for a while) A pair of sprung tongs can be useful too, especially for a disposable bbq.

I was wondering about tongs and a spoon for retrieving poached eggs. Never gave wooden chopping board and knife a second thought but on the list now.
I know I’m a fella but what about a collapsible washing up bowl thing? Am I going mental? Is this something to take. Also if you have a camping chair, do you need a camping table type affair or will the floor surfice? Also am I gonna need a bigger bike?
Oh and snelly it’s me and a pal, mrs ninjarich said definitely no as soon as I mentioned camping, result there then!

I like that plate chopping board thing.

Only thing I've found that having to wash up between courses can be a bit onerous. Depends how light weight you want to be.

As for tables and chairs, for years I used a thermarest matress and had a chair kit for it, so it sort of doubled up. Only got a table recently, which I really like, but not necessary. Chairs always make life comfortable. Am thinking of getting a Helinox one as they seem the best at the moment, if a bit expensive.

What you can do for chopping is create a way of securing a chopping board to your bike's rack, giving you a decent surface and height to cut on. Obviously assuming the weather is okay for all of this.

I've just recently got a Pocket Rocket 2, combined with a Stanley Cookset, Nalgene Water Flask and Tatonka Stainless Steel Mug is all I need for any day/weekend outing. The Pocket Rocket fits in the Cookset, with any tea, coffee, hot shocolat etc and the SS mug sits snuggly on top, so takes up no room, this combined with a small gas canister fits into the top box and leaves loads of room for food, 'sandwiches, Pot Noddles and the like + leaving room for my camera, binoculars and gloves. I prefer this more than 90% of greasy spoon cafes, and I get to stop at the best locations to have a cuppa and take in the scenery :thumb2
I have also bought a MSR Wind pro off Dave on this site which has a larger flame spread so better for cooking with the Ridge Monkey while camping :thumb2

Oh nearly forgot, the MSR Pocket Rocket boils a litre of water in less than 3 mins, even on a windy day....Bloody magic :clap:thumb2

I would go for the Alpkit Brukit Jackal, cheaper than the Jetboil and you can use other pans to cook with.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit-jackal

That why it's highly recommended - you don't need other pans to cook with on a Jetboil - but if you did want to it comes with a folding pan stand that is stored inside the cup section that you can use with other pans on the jetboil burner - but i never found it necessary to bother carrying them. ;)

That why it's highly recommended - you don't need other pans to cook with on a Jetboil - but if you did want to it comes with a folding pan stand that is stored inside the cup section that you can use with other pans on the jetboil burner - but i never found it necessary to bother carrying them. ;)

1473064887-23100200.jpg

Lightweight 0.8 Liter FluxRing® cooking cup

Lightweight drink-through lid with pour spout and strainer

Lightweight insulating cozy

Lightweight adjustable stainless steel burner

Lightweight Shroud

Push-button igniter

Bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup and bowl

Compatible with all Jetboil accessories

Able to store a 100g Jetpower fuel can

Fuel Canister Stabilizer included

Pot Support and Jetpower fuel sold separately

Price around £90

brukit-jackal-blue-web-1.jpg

brukit-jackal-blue-web-5_2400_1606auto.jpg

Jackal comes with a pan support which adapts the burner so that you can use other pans with it. You should never use Jackal with any other pans unless you use this support.

Price £39

Better value :thumb2

1473064887-23100200.jpg

Lightweight 0.8 Liter FluxRing® cooking cup

Lightweight drink-through lid with pour spout and strainer

Lightweight insulating cozy

Lightweight adjustable stainless steel burner

Lightweight Shroud

Push-button igniter

Bottom cover doubles as a measuring cup and bowl

Compatible with all Jetboil accessories

Able to store a 100g Jetpower fuel can

Fuel Canister Stabilizer included

Pot Support and Jetpower fuel sold separately

Price around £90

brukit-jackal-blue-web-1.jpg

brukit-jackal-blue-web-5_2400_1606auto.jpg

Jackal comes with a pan support which adapts the burner so that you can use other pans with it. You should never use Jackal with any other pans unless you use this support.

Price £39

Better value :thumb2
This isn't my thread, I think people should be giving the poster advice not me! As for the "Jetboil" which I am sure is a great piece of kit, it is just one of many out there, it has it's good points and bad.....for me....the bad point is it's balance when used with larger pans i.e. frying pan, whereas for me the MSR Wind Pro stands flat and not balanced on a gas canister, the flame spreads more so doesn't create as much heat spot which makes for better cooking. Trianga is to slow for me but people swear by them. The Pocket Rocket is best at boiling water or making snacks but for camping I take both the Pocket Rocket and Wind Pro, the Stanley cookset, Nalgene water flask and a Ridgemonkey, or the Zebra camping pot.

Back
Top Bottom