Riding a GS in high winds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Biker 66

Reaction score
Any advice on riding my GS 2017 in high winds. Came across old Severn bridge twice yesterday fully loaded and was expecting to go for a swim at one point. Along M4 was almost blown into the side of transit. Have been out and about today. Any tips or tricks? Had to use the bike as the car off the road for a few days.

Always be prepared as you pass the front of a long/tall vehicle for the wind to suddenly swipe at you. Other than that, use you whole lane on motorways and travel slower as with any adverse weather condition. Severn bridge is just a matter of traveling with caution... or alongside a tall vehicle - though these are usually prohibited during strong winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a tall bike and probably more susceptible to high winds than some others but best to try and relax if you can. Gut reaction is to grip tighter which is the worse thing you can do. :thumb2

Stay at home. I did.

It’s not an issue. I ride~every day. Hurricane Orphila and now Brian. I have a l/c gsa with a Givi 55 liter top box. JJH

I find the quite good in wind and, counter intuitively, perhaps better with panniers fitted.

Humber Bridge scares me in high winds and I avoid it!

It gets really bad especially on bikes with fairings like the Pan European, they all act like sails and it take careful handling in really bad winds. Slow and steady with extra care when entering open air there is no quick fix for gusts.

Rode up through Ireland in the wake of Ophelia, followed it north last Monday, had too hole up in Glengarriffn while the worst was over ... trees down, roads blocked, strewn with debris, fallen trees, branches and wheely bins :rob

You just shut your good eye and go for it :D

:beerjug:

Relax grip and weight the pegs. Gives the thighs a workout but stabilises the bike. Most importantly is as Tricky says to avoid your instinct to grip tight. It just transfers any body movement to the bars and makes things worse.

Make a conscious effort to moderate your reactions so that when a sudden gust hits the bike you do not over-correct and make matters worse.

First i stay as best in the middle of the lane, then if it gets really bad, I just countersteer a little into the direction of the wind, and put my weight on the footrest side where the wind is coming from, it feels strange but it works fine, and will keep you upright, as for high bridges, carry a spare set of boxers, as you might need them at the other side, how do I know, Pont de Normandie in a howler, I was not proud on the other side, but lucky enough not to need the spare boxer shorts. :beerjug:

PS it was a Harley with a barn door windscreen and fully loaded.

Hurricanes. Stay home. Honestly I've experienced some absolute howlers I'm merely glad to have survived. When HGVs are being blown over it's time to not be on a motorcycle.

General wind.

Learn to enjoy it and surf it.

As said before relax and anticipate, read the road and expect a more than average 'bow wave' when passing heavies when on exposed roads.

You'll be reet.

I came from from a lightweight 125 Varadero,

It got pushed around like a dry leaf :eek: scary when your trying to stop yourself being blown into the oncomming traffic

to the GS which is like a brick latrine ;) - yes it moves, but its slower which makes things less brown trouser !

I find dropping down a gear or 2 and running in 4th or 5th gear gives you a bit more drive and control to adjust your line if getting blown about. I've ridden in some hoolies and this is what I do regardless of the bike.
The GS is big and tall (and mine has topbox) however it also has good leverage with those wide bars and I find it easier to ride in all waethers than a sportsbike.

I find it is better not to go too slow, so you cut through the wind and not get blown by it. Makke sure you have plenty of space around you, I also lean into it, but ready for when it suddenly decreases, quite often you can see when it is going to blast you if you look ahead for the right warnings, open spaces, and other vehicles, like everything the more you do it the better you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom