Should I Change The OEM Tyres Before Delivery?

I had Karoo 3's fitted to mine before I picked it up.

Don't like the Anakee's and wanted a tyre that would be good on and off road.

3,500 miles so far and really impressed with them in all conditions. :thumb2

Stick them in the bin , they are shit......as many say lots of better tyres out there.
To add , I was given a loan Gs with them on and it reminded me of how bad they were .. I even thought as I got on it ..nooooooooo Kaki 3s .. bollox

If you don’t want them stick them on here for sale and someone will have them if the price is right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That wear pattern is a consequence of riding on the LH side of the road. Every front tyre on every bike I have ever had has done it. In the States, their tires do it on the other side. It's nothing to do with camber; it's all to do with the radius of circles and how you end up doing around twice the distance negotiating RH bends than you do LH bends.

Well, that's my theory. :blagblah

You could try riding the wrong way around roundabouts to even up your tyre wear....... :D

I personally have no issues with the Anakee 3 tyres and have replaced the rear tyre already with another Anakee 3.

I might try another tyre when both need replacing, but at moment have no pressing reason to change.

Got 7200 miles out rear tyre which had squared off a bit, but that's acceptable considering I was getting used to the bikes performance.

The Anakee IIIs are fine, good grip wet or dry. The biggest complaint on here about them is that they are noisy which, to be honest, I didn't really notice until I replaced them with Pilot Road 4 trails. Having said that, I found the Anakees squared off fairly early in their life, whereas the PR4s lasted a lot longer before they started to square. I managed to get about 5500 miles on both the Anakee rear tyres I had fitted before I switched to the PR4, but that was pushing it a bit, I should really have changed them a bit earlier.
If I replaced my bike, and the new one comes with Anakees, I would keep them for their useful life and then replace with PR4s again.

Bob

My last GSA LC TE had Anakee 3's from new , they were very noisy, punctured easily ,didn't wear well (when not getting punctures) and were sh*te in cold wet conditions, replaced with PR4's which to be honest were not that much better and it wasn't until I changed to Avons that the bike seemed better.

Got the new bike in late September but didn't get round to arranging replacement tyres fitted priot to its collection and it was fitted with Anakees, new bike is a GSA LC Basic ie non ESA and to my shock they are much quieter , after 1000 miles including half of the miles in the rain they seem to grip much better and they are showing no sign of wear. Seems that the non linked suspension is more compliant and giving the tyres an easier time

Canvassing thoughts/experiences.

My over-riding impression of the 40 mile test drive on a 2017 GSA demo was that the ride was harsher than I expected, particularly over tarmac ripples/cats eyes etc - not suspension hard, more as if the tyres were over-inflated.

I've been reading threads on here about tyres and it seems that the OEM Anakee 3's aren't particularly well thought of, even though they are claimed to be 90%road/10% off road.

I could ask the supplying dealer to change them to a Sport/Touring tyre - MPR4 or the like, prior to delivery.

Thoughts please.

I did do this, I bought a new E4 GS T/Black from Marshall’s at Grimsby, I asked them if I could have it fitted with PR4’s from new, their said no problem and ordered in a set of new PR4’s and swopped them over removing the Anakees. They did charge me the difference in the cost of news tyre which was £40.00 which I was more than happy to pay
I rode away from the dealership on my new bike shod with new PR4’s.
In my opinion, the PR4’s give the GS a more comfortable ride than the Anakees, plus they have much more grip, especially in the wet and they are also quieter.

I thought I was the only person in the world who wasn't that impressed with PR4's

Avons every time!!

Sent from a U11

I've gone from a 2015 fitted with aftermarket PR4s to a 2017 GSA fitted with the original Annakees. I had misgivings after having read a number of negative comments but I'm very happy with them. The feel is good and the performance also good. A few days on the wet and muddy, smallest byways of The Lake District last week left me more than happy with the comfort and grip. I didn't even find them too noisy

I certainly wouldn't recommend changing

I always found the GS fast damping very harsh VS slow damping. It was always pretty rough over small bumps even in soft but undulations in the road surface would make the bike bounce / wallow in soft.

Back
Top Bottom