Should I Change The OEM Tyres Before Delivery?

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Canvassing thoughts/experiences.

My over-riding impression of the 40 mile test drive on a 2017 GSA demo was that the ride was harsher than I expected, particularly over tarmac ripples/cats eyes etc - not suspension hard, more as if the tyres were over-inflated.

I've been reading threads on here about tyres and it seems that the OEM Anakee 3's aren't particularly well thought of, even though they are claimed to be 90%road/10% off road.

I could ask the supplying dealer to change them to a Sport/Touring tyre - MPR4 or the like, prior to delivery.

Thoughts please.

I suspect that would cost you more than you benefit from?

Have you asked them what the cost would be? That would be my first thought.

Otherwise - take the bike as is, and if you don't like them - change them at an indi for a pair of Metz Roadtec-01/Dunlop Roadsmart III/Pilot Road 4 etc

Al

Had no trouble in alps stelvio smugglers pass or Cornwall wales & clarndon resorvour personal choice rear lasted 6500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick with the Anakees. Put some mileage on them first. THEN start adjusting the pressures etc (I never had a problem with 42/36 but it's all about the feel for you). THEN look at the suspension settings.

Change one thing at a time after putting some mileage on them.

I'm assuming you rode the test bike in the ESA settings that you prefer?

And you need to take into account that the suspension will feel different after a few thousand miles as the seals adjust and settle etc. Some people think this is a myth and that you just get used to what you've got but I'm a believer in this.

I did just under 7k on my OE Anekee's on my standard GS, solo, 2 up and fully loaded in everything apart from snow and ice. They're not bad tyres and personally I never had any issues with them and to some extent it'll depend on your riding style/how fast you ride etc, they're just not the best out there. You could ask the dealer what it would cost to change prior to the PDI and see what they say as they could probably resell them at a slightly reduced cost. Alternatively you could try them and if you don't get on with them change for something else then advertise them on here or on ebay. I put Tourance nexts on mine and they are certainly a better tyre than the anekees and I wouldn't go back, but I can't say that I'd have binned the new anakees for them. Your money, your choice.

Strangely I'm thinking about a Z1000SX and the OE tyres on those supposedly don't suit the bike so I could be in the same boat as you at some stage. Good luck :beerjug:

The A IIIs do not give a harsh ride compared to other tyres and give perfectly good grip wet or dry. The quickest rider I know has tried various tyres on his GS and has gone back to AIIIs, he loves them. As for noise, I never noticed any. I think the Road tech is more noisy and the Road Smart III is a very harsh (stiff carcass) tyre that does not suit the new ESA suspension on the '17 GE TE , I cannot feel for grip and yet you feel every granite chip on the road. A friend on his 1190 dislikes them as well.

I'm assuming you rode the test bike in the ESA settings that you prefer?

When I raised (no pun intended) the ride issue with a pal of mine who has an RT, his response was that the ESA must have been on the hardest setting as the ride should be very good - I confess I've no idea what the setting was, as it's all a bit new to me - hence why I've joined here to learn. My previous bikes have been more knee out/sport oriented (in their day at least).

I forgot to add in my OP that the bike will be used entirely on road, hence my desire for a quality road tyre from the off.

Ask 10 different riders about tyres and you’ll probably get 10 different views. Everyone who fits new tyres nearly always says what a vast improvement they perceive - it’s because they’re new tyres !
I have found the Roadsmart 3 to be excellent. The carcass is slightly stiffer than some, ie Roadtec 01, but the trade off is great mileage (I’m going to get about 7k out of front and rear and I don’t ride conservatively) combined with great handling under all conditions; I certainly don’t find them harsh. The Anakee 3 is unfairly maligned and is a perfectly acceptable tyre for most riders. The noise comes from the design front end of the bike which amplifies any road noise; wear earplugs and it simply isn’t an issue.

Me? Tyers I just buy the cheapest. Going trough 3 sets a year. Fit myself. If you dont like them after a week or 2 you can sell them on here. Help recover the cost of a new set. I'd recomend perserving with them. If you cannot get on with them put them on here. JJH

New suspension can feel harsh until it’s bedded in. It might be the OEM tyres but BMW will have chosen them not only for cost reasons.
Just ride it and see how it goes.

I'm another one who thinks the A3s are ok.

I put 6,500 on mine before swapping both for Metzler Roadtec 01s.

There's loads of bollocks talked (and posted!) about tyres by bods who think their next job will be as a Michelin test rider. All the talk about excessive road noise is nonsense as far as I'm concerned - mind you I'm one of those softies who wears earplugs all the time.

That said, IMHO the Metzlers are better road tyres than the A3s - they just have more grip and feel like more like the old Pilot Road 3s. Interestingly I also had quite wide chicken strips with the A3s and hardly any with the 01s (which suggests to me more grip and a different profile). However, I wouldn't ditch the A3s just for the sake of changing.

No substitute for trying things for yourself. Wear them out and see what you think. Then decide what next...

I'm still on my original A3s. I do notice they give a bit of tyre noise, but otherwise they're fine. Perhaps they'll be replaced with something else when they're done, but I certainly see no reason to junk about 200 quid's worth of tyres before you've even tried them on your own bike with your personal suspension settings. Many folk prefer them - you might be one.

I reckon it's all down to personal tastes /riding style. Personally I hate Anakees and before I picked up my new bike had the dealer swap them for TKC 70s which I like but others don't.

When I raised (no pun intended) the ride issue with a pal of mine who has an RT, his response was that the ESA must have been on the hardest setting as the ride should be very good - I confess I've no idea what the setting was, as it's all a bit new to me - hence why I've joined here to learn. My previous bikes have been more knee out/sport oriented (in their day at least).

I forgot to add in my OP that the bike will be used entirely on road, hence my desire for a quality road tyre from the off.

You've answered your own question. You are diagnosing a fault without knowing crucial data. If you did not check, how did you know that the previous rider had not left the preload in 2up mode (assuming the bike has the same settings as my RS)? Take delivery of the bike as is, learn how to adjust the suspension and other variables to find the setting that works for you. Then play with it in different conditions to make your rides more comfortable.

Tyres are so good nowadays that they are all brilliant when new. The main problem is weird wear patterns as they get older. That's a factor of or our shit road surfaces and people using the wrong pressures, and occasionally, poor quality control in the factory. My Metzeler Z8 were fine for the first 6000 miles but the front was wearing unevenly which eventually became so evident they got binned at 7000 miles - BMW dealer and tyre dealer blames our road camber. You'll be fine on the MAs, for 6000 miles or so.

My Metzeler Z8 were fine for the first 6000 miles but the front was wearing unevenly which eventually became so evident they got binned at 7000 miles - BMW dealer and tyre dealer blames our road camber.

That wear pattern is a consequence of riding on the LH side of the road. Every front tyre on every bike I have ever had has done it. In the States, their tires do it on the other side. It's nothing to do with camber; it's all to do with the radius of circles and how you end up doing around twice the distance negotiating RH bends than you do LH bends.

Well, that's my theory. :blagblah

The OEM tyres are, to use a technical term - shit. Noisy.

I replaced them with PR4s - much quieter.

However, as others have said, I would check the suspension settings closely.

Regards
Michelin tyre tester. :D

You've answered your own question. You are diagnosing a fault without knowing crucial data. If you did not check, how did you know that the previous rider had not left the preload in 2up mode (assuming the bike has the same settings as my RS)? Take delivery of the bike as is, learn how to adjust the suspension and other variables to find the setting that works for you. Then play with it in different conditions to make your rides more comfortable.

Tyres are so good nowadays that they are all brilliant when new. The main problem is weird wear patterns as they get older. That's a factor of or our shit road surfaces and people using the wrong pressures, and occasionally, poor quality control in the factory. My Metzeler Z8 were fine for the first 6000 miles but the front was wearing unevenly which eventually became so evident they got binned at 7000 miles - BMW dealer and tyre dealer blames our road camber. You'll be fine on the MAs, for 6000 miles or so.

Good advice, I've noticed exactly the same, it astounds me more people are not aware that tyres can wear unevenly due to road camber - or they are lucky enough to drive a lot on very twisty roads? This is a good excuse to tour Europe!

James

Back
Top Bottom