Harley - Pre or post 2000?

auf_wiedersehen_pet

Reaction score
I'm considering a Harley and have been told the pre 2000 models are the ones to go for as they steadily decline after that. The guy that told me has ridden every kind of Harley over the years and rides loudly (love it) past my house everyday on his way to work come rain, snow or shine.

So, any truth in it?

Pre 2000 (1999) will be a 1340 EVO - 1999/2000 was the year the 1450 Twin Cam was realised.. it was a hybrid few years with both models having Carbs Or FI - the early FI units are to avoided as they will fail and you will need a carb conversion.

I’m an EVO fan, simple, easy to maintain - but the newest one is now 18 years old.

The evo engine is pretty bomb proof, but must be warmed up properly - the early TC model needs a cam chain tensioner upgrade as they break up - as mentioned the early FI units can cause problems - carb conversion is easy enough.

You would have to wait until 2009 to get the frame updates - so just a few engine changes between 1999/2009 ( 1450/1550/1690)

I use my evo all year round, ride it to Spain most years... but it does need a little fettling each year - but this more due to its 106,0000 mile history!!!

With Harley it’s as much about budget/Model - so much choice - Touring, Softail, Dyna - what do you want?

Tour? - Tinker? - Ride hard?

They’re both right you know. Earlier ones simpler, later ones a little more complicated. Such is the way of the world.

Which do I prefer? The one I have now (obviously) which is a 96 Evo. If for no other reason than it hasn’t got a highly irritating alarm.

I will not buy a second hand bike with an alarm.

I see you have your location as The Solent - I live on Hayling Island - if you don’t wear HiViz and have at least one black helmet - I’d be happy to meet you for breakfast one Sunday and bore the tits off you - when I’ve finished you will know what you want!!!

Probably a Yamaha!

Thanks for the answers. I guess my usage will be sunny day rides, going nowhere in particular and without a timescale. For everything else it's the GSA.

Twizzle, sounds good. I'm busy for the next couple of weekends so I'll give you a shout after that.

Same description also applies to women.

Exactly. Applies to toasters too. If anyone wishes to meet up for breakfast to discuss toasters, just say the word. Will travel.

Exactly. Applies to toasters too. If anyone wishes to meet up for breakfast to discuss toasters, just say the word. Will travel.

Excellent, you can come as well, in case the other guy is weird..

I think Doris nailed the answer, oh and them new ones sure are expensive bastards to service, price quoted today for the first service on my FatBoy £315....

I think Doris nailed the answer, oh and them new ones sure are expensive bastards to service, price quoted today for the first service on my FatBoy £315....

You need a good independent!

Back
Top Bottom