Elektrickery dunce needs help wiring a PDM60.

stratblue

genoQian
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My very own recording studio! (South Wales).
Hi All.

Since I have more time on my hands (than sense) I've decided to prune the bird's nest of wires proliferating beneath the seat of the GSA, powering the GPS and USB sockets etc, problem is I haven't really got a clue. I do have some questions though.

1. I thought if I touched the red wire with the ring connector to the red terminal on the battery and the grey wire to the frame or the other terminal the PDM60 would power up but no such luck.

2. How come the PDM60 supplies only single wires to the gadgets on the bike? Do I have to chop the wires back on the gadgets then link the single wire to the 'live' side of the gadget and link the other wire to the frame?

3. I have the bike mount for the Garmin 590 LM and that has a thick loom of wires feeding audio sockets etc. Where do I cut into that to attach the PDM60? It's been a while since I've even seen the loom.

Thanks for any help on this, don't assume any prior knowledge, or common sense, on my part. Nothing will be too obvious to point out.

Makes no difference being a 2011 - if i believe what i read.

But to help you out with a few answers...

The PDM60 first needs:

a) have it's own earth connection (black wire). This can be the frame or even the negative terminal of the battery.
b) to have the 'trigger' wire connected to a power source that only comes on when the bikes ignition is switched on - that can be another, separate question you can ask the collective - but due to the likely location of the PDM unit (under the seat) I'd guess a tail light wire would be a good option.
c) it needs to be connected to the battery (thick red wire)

I am guessing you have the PDM instructions to help you identify the wires - i think most of them actually have their names printed onto the wire housings?

For you accessories - all of these will come with two wires that deal with power, usual red = positive, black = negative/earth

In all cases you just find a good frame connection for the earth (there are some very tidy ways to deal with this as you'll be needing several earth points as the accessory list grows - YouTube some images).

For the positive (red wire ) you just take your pick from the wires offered by the PDM unit. That's why they're is only one wire. The accessory has only an earth and power feed - your earth is to the frame and the power is to the PDM.

In short, once the PDM unit is plumbed in, the rest is s doddle. The single and only 'complicated' part for you is finding the wire in the bike loom to splice in your PDMs 'trigger' wire.

I hope i haven't confused you!

Good luck

The PDM60 also provides a negative cable with a ring connector on both ends. One end goes to the battery negative and the other has a bolt throught it so,you can attache the negative wire of all your accessories to it. It’s fairly bulky as a result so should be esy to find. It may have a rubber/plastic shroud covering it.

The PDM60 also provides a negative cable with a ring connector on both ends. One end goes to the battery negative and the other has a bolt throught it so,you can attache the negative wire of all your accessories to it. It’s fairly bulky as a result so should be esy to find. It may have a rubber/plastic shroud covering it.
Good point. I forgot that (it was a while ago since i fitted mine).

Glad i didn't confuse you

I wondered what that was for....

Can you find a wiring diagram. It'll tell you which wire is the live feed to the tail light - is colur (s), some are dual colour.

Our stick a post into the Hex Head section. Someone might be able to point you straight to it (location and colour).

But fire sure outlets be in one of the bundles of wire heading to the back. I guess if you take off the tail light, you might get to see which colour wires run into it,then the wiring diagram will tell you which is the positive.

Hope that's not complicating it to much for.

If you give up, I'll buy it off you. I'll be wanting one soon!

Back
Top Bottom