Twin cam rocker box colour... and home service?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All.. bit of a mixed title, but guess one thing leads to another?.. got some lifting paint on the rocker covers so need to re-do them at some point... anyone know the colour?.. I did see a Saab today that was very close but could not find the paint in Halfords. Or is it a BMW colour?

Anyway, whilst I was in there, I checked my shims (pleased to see they are all okay), and I’ve already changed the oil and filter.... so, I’m thinking.. for the sake of the gearbox, diff, air filter, Plugs, pads / disc check... I’ve done the service... But what’s the view on this when it comes to sell? Obviously I’d keep all receipts and record on a sheet exactly what had been done.. but does it de-value the bike If I do it?...
I will also remove the rear arm over winter to check that’s okay, but guess that’s not covered by any service anyway.. only thing missing would be to plug it in to see if its recorded any faults?
I have a car (TVR) and I do everything on that, but that’s because there are limited dealers now and those that do exist... well, what can I say. So I guess on that it’s accepted?
Thing for me with home service is that I can spend the time and ensure its done right, going beyond what it says on a check sheet...

Any thoughts?.. Thanks :)

I print off the BMW service sheet and tick/annotate it accordingly, write any additional stuff on there and stick it into the back of the service book and then mark the relevant service stamp area with date, mileage etc.
I also have a GS911.
My bike is 6 years old and I don't think it makes much difference to sell price now.

It had full dealer up to 4 years old - but they never checked half the stuff I do

each to their own

Agreed.. I can do a much better job as I have the time to spend on it... Thats what I'll do... where did you get the service sheet?
Do you know the oils recommended for the TC's?....

Thanks..

Save and print the service data when you do a scan on the GS911 .

Ordinary body panel paint wont work on the rocker covers and unless you are careful, powder coat also wont cope with the heat. High temperature powder coat might damage the magnesium (low melting point even lower softening point). So buy new covers or use VHT paint and expect to repaint at every service.

Okay.. thanks for the links!

So the covers get that hot?.. normal paint is good for 75-80 deg or so are they getting hotter?.. They are a grey / mink colour now.. look quite nice.. I wanted to keep to this if possable?.. We powder here at 120 oc... if this isnt lasting can the temps be getting over 100 deg??

whats this?

secondary?

Replace spark plugs
*)
every 40,000 km (24,000 miles)
Check secondary spark plugs
for first time at 20,000 km (12,000 miles), then every 40,000 km (24,000 miles)

Okay.. thanks for the links!

So the covers get that hot?.. normal paint is good for 75-80 deg or so are they getting hotter?.. They are a grey / mink colour now.. look quite nice.. I wanted to keep to this if possable?.. We powder here at 120 oc... if this isnt lasting can the temps be getting over 100 deg??

Mine had the brown tinged colour then I cracked one when the bike fell onto a kerbstone. The used replacement was tatty but (no worries) I'll just paint it. Ordinary acrylic went into a crummy crinkle finish. Hammerite seems to cope (used on engine top) but it's not available in the brown tinge. Fitting carbon fibre trim covers or using X-heads protectors is another option.

Yes, thats it.. Grey / gold / brown sort of colour?... what colour you gone for now?.. May as well try powder as we have it on site.. See how it goes :thumb2

Yes, thats it.. Grey / gold / brown sort of colour?... what colour you gone for now?.. May as well try powder as we have it on site.. See how it goes :thumb2

Mine is now 90% hidden behind X-Head rocker cover protectors Ive not bothered to get the finish re-done. They look cool and do the job with less risk to the cylinder head mounting lugs than other brands. I might try high temperature crinkle finish when I get around to it.

Just found this on T' web -
Oven temp for Powder 350 Deg.F - 400 Deg F for 10 minutes
Magnesium Autoignite Temp, 1200 Deg. F
Optimum Magnesium working temp, 350 Deg F - 500 Deg F.​

So it's likely that powder coat is you best option. But avoid the low bake type used on car wheels.

The OEM paint on other engine parts is extremely hard. The only way to remove it (without damage to the metal) is by chemical dipping. Biostrip dip tank works. The surface will then need a chromate primer before it's coated. For the rocker covers, I would chamfer off the joint face edge with a file and have the face coated as well. This wont prevent the rubber seal working but should provide better corrosion protection. Chamfer helps because a sharp edge does not coat very well allowing the finish to peel away.

paint

i used ordinary car paint from halfords and give i coat of laquer -cant remember the colour -it has done about 10k since -been to spain in summer as well as scotland in the rain and mud -i can say that they still look a1 -they dont get that hot -the cyl heads get hot -i was going to powder coat but decided to try this and its sound

i used ordinary car paint from halfords and give i coat of laquer -cant remember the colour -it has done about 10k since -been to spain in summer as well as scotland in the rain and mud -i can say that they still look a1 -they dont get that hot -the cyl heads get hot -i was going to powder coat but decided to try this and its sound

:thumb2 thats more like it.. can't see them getting that hot at all... if they were over 100 deg they would be a danger.. Will try this first with a phosphate pre-coat we do at work and laquer over the top.. If it lasts all well and good.. if not, I'll just re-do them...

Just thought I'd mention twin cam needs plugs every 12000ml not as previous model at 24.

Just thought I'd mention twin cam needs plugs every 12000ml not as previous model at 24.

From the service sheets.. any idea what this refers to?

Replace spark plugs*)
every 40,000 km (24,000 miles)
Check secondary spark plugs
for first time at 20,000 km (12,000 miles), then every 40,000 km (24,000 miles)

Whats the 'secondary spark plugs???????

Back
Top Bottom