Rattle on front disc rotor

jeremyj

Reaction score
Please after some advice. Front left hand disc seems loose and rattles, noticed that the right disc is very secure with no movement and wavy washer in place, the left disc did not have wavy washers so purchased new from motor works fitted these and cured rattle. Three weeks later rattle is back and washers have gone.

Any thoughts please

The hubs have probably recessed, you could try putting a thin washer behind the disc at each fixing but check for disc run out once bolted up.
Other than that it depends how handy with a flat file you are.

Please after some advice. Front left hand disc seems loose and rattles, noticed that the right disc is very secure with no movement and wavy washer in place, the left disc did not have wavy washers so purchased new from motor works fitted these and cured rattle. Three weeks later rattle is back and washers have gone.

Any thoughts please
What happened to the washers? JJH

Are the correct washers so expensive?

There are no correct washers. This is to space out the disc from the inside so the wavy washers and disc have a positive interaction and the chatter stops.
The secret is ensuring washers fitted space the disc enough so that the wavy ones don't vibrate and disintegrate.

Any thoughts please

This was happening to my left disc. X3 lots of wave washers, each after a few hundred miles. A proper strip down and rebuild of the calipers cured it. Fine now for a few k

Interesting. One of my rotors has recently begun to rattle. I can see wave washers in there - they just seem to be ineffective. Other than the rattle noise, is it a big deal?

Interesting. One of my rotors has recently begun to rattle. I can see wave washers in there - they just seem to be ineffective. Other than the rattle noise, is it a big deal?

Yes, every bump you go over will vibrate the disc and wear the mounting bosses on the hub.
It'll get noisier the more they wear.
Its a quick repair, just get the full bobbins kit from MW and use heat to release the bolts. Complete one at a time. !/2 hr max.

BMW have the correct washers, if they are still available?
34 11 7 670 217 STOP DISK, this the thin washer that fits between the disc and mounting post. Standard fitment on the rockster.

There are no correct washers. This is to space out the disc from the inside so the wavy washers and disc have a positive interaction and the chatter stops.
The secret is ensuring washers fitted space the disc enough so that the wavy ones don't vibrate and disintegrate.

Oh really ?? part 2 34117670217 LINK and they Fit LINK :rob

The secret is looking at the brake disc mounting pillars to see if they are eroded and the disc is moving about and wearing them down more and more

The Stop disc is thin and once you have them behind each bobbin they help keep the disc in alignment too and as there should be no lateral forces the 1 mm think stainless disc is more than sufficient :thumb

Spoke with MW this morning said new bobbins and spring washers would cure it, ordered so keep you posted

see my note about checking the pillars that the discs mount to!

If the brake disc can move down the pillar at all it will vibrate the wavy discs and they can break and fall off when old

The stop dics are cheaper than a wheel and I reckon a safe thing to fit to any alloy front rim that has the 5 point disc mount

Thanks for that info parts have arrived from MW will measure new bobbins against old hopefully won't need to put on the additional washers

Thanks for that info parts have arrived from MW will measure new bobbins against old hopefully won't need to put on the additional washers

i would put them on anyway - I thought it was clear thats whats most likely to have caused your disappearing wavy washers. the bobbins get very slightly worn, i just rotated mine so the contact point was fresh and they have been perfect since (i used the 20x1 washers)

Back
Top Bottom