Tell Me About Your Helmet

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've always had to buy larger helmets as I have a big head.

Previously I've had Arai and Bell helmets but other than knowing they were large I don't know the actual size, as it was years ago.

This time round I've bought a flip up Shoei Neotec in a 2XL, the largest they do, and had 31 cheek pads fitted (the smallest), but it's still tight, giving me sore ears.

However, looking at bikers there are many blokes bigger and fatter in the face than me.

J&S have said it's a good fit and will ease over time, but I'm not convinced - 10 hours they said, but as I've not got the bike yet I've been wearing it around the house, watching telly, in the bath and on the job (yes, I'm joking, I've not worn it in the bath) :D.

In the current crop of helmets, who are the manufacturers of larger helmets, particularly offering a flip up lid and being of top quality?

Ta.

Previously I've had Arai and Bell helmets but other than knowing they were large I don't know the actual size, as it was years ago.

This time round I've bought a flip up Shoei Neotec in a 2XL, the largest they do, and had 31 cheek pads fitted (the smallest), but it's still tight, giving me sore ears.

However, looking at bikers there are many blokes bigger and fatter in the face than me.

J&S have said it's a good fit and will ease over time, but I'm not convinced - 10 hours they said, but as I've not got the bike yet I've been wearing it around the house, watching telly, in the bath and on the job (yes, I'm joking, I've not worn it in the bath) :D.

In the current crop of helmets, who are the manufacturers of larger helmets, particularly offering a flip up lid and being of top quality?

Ta.

:postpics

The internals will compress with time but like on a bike its the head movement that causes the size change. Ergo I suggest you wear the helmet whilst jerking up and down stairs several times a day whilst wearing a bathing cap in case you have to come back to the shop with it.

Well mine really came into its own when I was circumcised at age 36... Good times.

Ta.

I have the same issue, my last lid was a 2xl Nolan which did give after about 6 months.

Just bought an LS2 (Spanish), a very rated lid at sub £200 prices and with ACU gold approval - they go to 3xl on full face and flip up, although colour options on flip up seem limited. LS2 reckon they use an oval shell which helps those who have a less round bonce I guess.

Its sized 64/65cm and is tight on my 64 head but feels better than the Nolan did out of the box.

Ghost bikes have them, and some on discount with a free spare visor - have a look.

I also tried HJC but choice was black or white in the larger sizes.

I have a shoei and thought it was really comfy but after two days my ears got sore, I know its tight but stick your hands up the side of the helmet as I found the tops of my ears were folding down and I never realised. Great now for days on the bike.

I have the same issue, my last lid was a 2xl Nolan which did give after about 6 months.

Just bought an LS2 (Spanish), a very rated lid at sub £200 prices and with ACU gold approval - they go to 3xl on full face and flip up, although colour options on flip up seem limited. LS2 reckon they use an oval shell which helps those who have a less round bonce I guess.

Its sized 64/65cm and is tight on my 64 head but feels better than the Nolan did out of the box.

Ghost bikes have them, and some on discount with a free spare visor - have a look.

I also tried HJC but choice was black or white in the larger sizes.

Chinese made

This appears to be what you want, size xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl

Attachments

• retirement holiday 2015 881 1.jpg
    retirement holiday 2015 881 1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 345
I can’t as I haven’t bought it yet!

Yep, noticed yesterday that Shoei is bringing out an updated Neotec II in January 18.

I believe they will debut it at the NEC but I don’t go to that

Back
Top Bottom