R100GS Seat Lock

kettle738

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My new to me 1990 R100GS is in unmolested if slightly neglected condition.....the key fits the ignition and steering lock just fine, but not the seat lock......I've tried a few spares with no joy.

The lock cylinder moves in the housing as it should and works as a latch.....having re-keyed various locks before I'd have a crack at this one as I have nothing to lose, but I can't see how the cylinder can be released from the lock body.....I've had a good search on line and found nothing.

Has anyone opened one of these up successfully or is it replacement time?

Mick

I've heard that the seat locks are not available at the moment so refurbing, if possible, may be your best solution.

Just need to try some more keys.

Im not 100% sure but I think this is one of those fitments which is ""one way" ie once its in, it cant be removed - IIRC in the base of the barrel there is a small spring loaded plunger which slides in against a slope till its in, then it expands into a plunger shaped steep sided void and there is no way you can then retract the plunger to get it out - something to do with the fact that the barrel is part of the sliding mech or somesuch

But then I may have it all wrong and be talking bollocks of course. So apologies in advance.

Take the lock to a half decent locksmith and he'll cut you key to fit.. Mine charges about £10.

You are probably right........most locks seem to have a release option for the cylinder which is often far from obvious, but I can't see anything on this one; I would happily waste an hour or two trying an endless quantity of keys, but unfortunately I only had a few odd keys.

Fortunately Motorworks lists them used, but I'd much rather re key this one if it were possible.

Mick.

Back
Top Bottom