Honda Crossrunner

frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any ideas why the crossrunner is not more popular, riding position of a gs gorgeous v4 engine and great build quality why is it not a big seller .

Yes valves at 16000 but seems they often don’t need doing until closer to 32000 !!

Yes but you pay for the check!!!£500 +++ and they might not need doing. I’d have to budget for a check a year + all the other stuff. JJH

Presume it’s no different from any other Vfr vetec and Honda has sold Shit loads of them ��

Very top heavy bike I heard.

So I'm guessing at slow steering, hard work manoeuvring at slow speeds, generally unfriendly compared to other similar styled bikes.

Very top heavy bike I heard.

So I'm guessing at slow steering, hard work manoeuvring at slow speeds, generally unfriendly compared to other similar styled bikes.

You're thinking of the Crosstourer :rob

Yes took one for a test ride didn’t feel top heavy steered quickly and had a very plush ride quality and made a nice sound ��

Yes but you pay for the check!!!£500 +++ and they might not need doing. I’d have to budget for a check a year + all the other stuff. JJH

The last service I got done at Belfast Honda for my Vtec was £300,46000 miles, 2 years ago, that was full service including the valve check, 1 bucket & shim needed replacing because it was sticking, however I did supply 4 iridium spark plugs I bought cheaper elsewhere to be used in the service.

I now have a Crossrunner and it's a lovely comfortable bike to ride, I don't find it top heavy even though I have stumpy legs and can only get 1 foot on the ground, the same as all the bikes I've owned this past 37 years.

Phil.

The last service I got done at Belfast Honda for my Vtec was £300,46000 miles, 2 years ago, that was full service including the valve check, 1 bucket & shim needed replacing because it was sticking, however I did supply 4 iridium spark plugs I bought cheaper elsewhere to be used in the service.

I now have a Crossrunner and it's a lovely comfortable bike to ride, I don't find it top heavy even though I have stumpy legs and can only get 1 foot on the ground, the same as all the bikes I've owned this past 37 years.

Phil.

Am I biased? I’ve heard that those bikes are very expensive to run. Honda seem to have slid off my radar. I had a few including 2 deauviles 2001 a red one and 2002 a silver one. I moved on to various bikes and for the last few years have had bms. I seem to get on well with Joe Duffy’s crew. I’ve tried on a few occasions to change without success. In Ireland the market is very small and some dealers wouldn’t want a nearly new bike in costing money sitting in the showroom. I tend to swap between rts and the gs. I’ve had an fjr and a capponord and a few more in the meantime. If Honda would bring out a new pan I’d make a big effort to change. What’s the tank range on your bike? JJH

Depending on how active the right wrist is from 150 - 220 miles to the 21 litre tank, if the onboard computer is to be believed best I've got was 58 mpg.

Any ideas why the crossrunner is not more popular, riding position of a gs gorgeous v4 engine and great build quality why is it not a big seller .

I had an earlier model Crossrunner for a while and it was a nice enough bike but thinking back, not particularly memorable (the mark of a good bike, if you have fond memories of it) not popular then or now, although I did see one parked up at Squires once, a couple of years ago!
Many peeps scoffed at the looks but the early model shared more than a passing resemblance of an xr and they seem to sell ok and lets face it, most adv/styled bikes aren't exactly good lookers.....

The whole vtec valve check debacle perhaps didn't help but as mentioned, they sold plenty of conventional vtec's.

As someone that does their own servicing acquiring a kit then having to remove all 4 cams TWICE just to check the clearances is a bit much really but I guess lots of dealers have made lots of money by not checking them!

I guess, Honda used to produce reliable, well engineered, well built, well executed bikes, now they seem to excel at producing rather the middle of the road bikes both in aesthetics and design.

If it floats your boat, go for it

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Used Bike of the Year 2017 - BIKE magazine

Correct , and I remembered 2015 model winning a group test against a Tiger 800 and an MV Turismo Veloce. I also remember speaking to a Honda dealer when the AT came out and he declared the Crossrunner as a better road bike for most buyers .

The 2nd gen Crossrunner is a much improved bike on the 1st gen and much better looking but perhaps the damage had already been done. :nenau

I seem to remember Ding Dong had a very nice one for a while .

I seem to remember Ding Dong had a very nice one for a while .

Yes I did, 2015 model i sold it to a forum member and brought it back several months later and sold it later to a guy in Romania, great bike and cheap enough, suspension on the budget side, typical v-tec you have to rev it to get the most out of it, great build quality, LED lights, quickshifter.

There half the price of a twin cam but deffo not half the bike.

nah, the crossrunner is top heavy too though not as bad as the crosstourer.

The CT is just extremely heavy rather than overly top heavy. The 1200 V4 engine is actually supposed to be a couple of Kgs lighter then the 800 so I'm not sure where all the extra 40kg or more comes from.

Tried one for a summers riding as thought that they were/are good value with deals on new and especialy private second hand if you look around for the good ones.
Engine is typical creamy Honda V4 and is peppy enough if you're prepared to rev it when you fancy getting a wriggle on. V-Tec wasn't really intrusive or cause any problems when it kicked in even if you are leant over (I had the latest model) but annoyed me a bit as it was set to trigger in the rev range that seemed to coincide with the bimbling speed I often found myself at on A roads etc, which meant it sometimes kicked in and out with slight speed changes caused by gradients/traffic etc.
Looks are subjective, the earlier models looked a bit shoulder heavy in my eyes but I think the latest model actually got it about right for the style of bike.
Ergonomics tend to suit different folk differently - who'd have thought. Found it comfortable enough but quite noisy/wind buffeting even with different screens fitted.
Was really impressed with build quality, I've had a number of different Hondas (and too many to count of other makes) and it was probably one of the best I can remember on any bike so I can see these looking like new in twenty years time if looked after.
So, why didn't I keep it?
Well for me it was down to one thing only - the handling!!
1st gear slow speed U turns etc - not exceptional but acceptable.
Fast and long sweeping bends - solid and safe enough with no drama's
BUT..........riding unfamiliar (or even familiar) roads at a decent pace where quick changes in direction/line are wanted it just didn't feel "right".
I've ridden all sorts of styles and types of bikes and although they all have there own mannerisms I've never got off any off them trying to work out why they were doing what they were doing.
With the Crossrunner I just couldn't work out why it didn't feel right in those type of corners, after all it is bassed on the VFR sports tourers and it's not like Honda don't know a thing or two about them, and they've been getting it right on those since the eighties!!
With its background sharing exactly the same chassis with the VFR sports bikes it should be great. The problem...I think... is that when you look at the height of the risers for the handle bars they are huge and move the input that you direct through the bars way above the headstock. And that's when I realised that the sensations and feedback that didn't "feel right" were possibly down to basically having a sports bike chassis fitted with a set of ape hangers trying to control direction changes.

Be interesting to see if anyone else noticed this flaw enough for it to have the same effect on their own riding experience on the Crossrunner.

For reference just prior to the Crossrunner had the 1190R and now back on an 1190R and the KTM handles MUCH better even though it's stacks taller and on big skinny wheels.

Back
Top Bottom