Recommend me a 4 Season Jacket

ThomasMc

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new Textile Jacket.
Must be as close to waterproof as possible and include removable liner. Ideally as close to 4 season for the UK.
I ride all year, commuting, London, and touring (average 8 hours a day riding) Wales, Scotland and Ireland, so cold and lots and pouring rain is expected. Good ventilation for the odd hot summer days would nice too.
My budget would be around the £600 mark. So Rukka and Klim are out of my price range.
Reading reviews on the Google machine and watching reviews on the YouTubes I've narrowed my choices down to either (a)Richa Atlantic or (b)RevIt Poseidon
I'm looking for some opinions and experiences from those of you that have either or both prices of kit in the past or if there are another contender(s) that I might have missed.
Thanks

Having ruled out Klim and Rukka you may as well just get something half decent protection wise a heated jacket and a one piece rain suit

I am not convinced that there is any such thing as a true 4 season jacket although the Rukka Nivala is probably the closest to one with its down liner but fuck look at the price ! And having said that, with the amount of riding you do i think it would be money well spent like a good craftsman has good tools sort of philosophy

You could keep your eyes open for a second hand ?

After going round and round looking myself. I thought the Klim stuff was cheaply made for what it cost and Rukka is daft money.

I ended up with a Revit Horizon suit. It has their own version of Goretex outer shell, it was about £550 for the complete suit and has armour with a space to add a back protector. It also has a removable liner for when it gets cooler.

I rode from Calais to near Amsterdam in the driving rain and I arrived dry as toast.

The only negatives so far are lack of pockets and limited vents for when it gets really hot. That said with the lining out it seems to run quite cool anyway. The only other problem is it seems a bit of a faf zipping the pants to the jacket as the zip seems to get caught half way round.

For the money I love it!

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/rev-it-horizon-2-jacket-wp-black

However if you want to go Goretex have a look at the Dane stuff. That was my second choice but the worse side of £1k for a suit.....

I have the Rev'it Horizon 2 pants and agree that they are a great bit of kit.

You won't get the Rev'it Poseidon suit for your 600 budget.
To keep close to or maybe within your budget, why not go for the Horizon 2 pants with the Poseidon jacket.

I would pay the premium for the Poseidon gtx jacket over the Horizon 2 but not the pants.

Sent from a U11

For the amount of riding you do money shouldn’t be the limiting factor, quality should be.
Back in the 1990s I commuted 60 miles a day summer and winter. I went to BKS and had one of their leather zip together suits made to measure. It took some saving up for. It had removable summer and winter linings and in the winter I wore it with a waterproof jacket over the top. It was on a faired bike so I never wore waterproof over trousers. I did have Goretex boots.

The point...

I am still wearing the suit (and boots) 25 years and nearly 180 thousand miles later (been retired 12 years).
So buy the best quality you can.

Tom

Having ruled out Klim and Rukka you may as well just get something half decent protection wise a heated jacket and a one piece rain suit

I am not convinced that there is any such thing as a true 4 season jacket although the Rukka Nivala is probably the closest to one with its down liner but fuck look at the price ! And having said that, with the amount of riding you do i think it would be money well spent like a good craftsman has good tools sort of philosophy

You could keep your eyes open for a second hand ?

And make sure what you choose does not leak :augie

Thomas, not sure what kind of jacket style you are looking for in terms of colour or size but if it’s of interest I have a brand new Revit defender Pro Goretex jacket for sale, could do a cracking deal on it if your interested.
e7c946b4a560df3d41fbbf7e345666dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a Klim Blade Gore-tex laminated jacket discounted to £299 from J&S. It's designed, like much of their range, for you to add your own base layers as you need them. I've been in 30 c and the vents coped great, I've been in torrential rain and stayed 100% dry (as per the Gore-tex guarantee), and I've been in damp chilly (single figure) conditions with nothing more than a tee shirt and fleece jumper such is the wind proofing, all for 200 miles or so. I haven't done 0c or thereabouts yet, but see no reason why, with the right layers, it won't cope well. The look is a bit marmite I guess, but mainly cos it looks shapeless on the hanger. My missus didn't like it til I tried it on and suddenly she loved it. If you want a proper Gore-tex laminate with good vent inside your budget, you might take a look.
Mine's paired with the Rev'it Horizon 2 parts following Younger06's recommend. They are also laminated and pretty well ventilated and have a removable thermal lining. I'm very happy with them too.
Now you have a hundred quid left if you need to add more base layer under your jacket!

I have the Rev'it Poseidon - wore it for a wet few days in Mull this weekend past and it was excellent.

I would qualify that by saying I don't think its a true four season - coldest it got was about 9 degrees according to the onboard temp gauge and at 75 mph I was feeling the chill. My old Rev'it Off Track suit was toasty down to freezing

The refit stuff is really good kit, pretty much does what it says on the tin, the goretex is a must and if Peteski is after deal then why not?

Dane is what I am now using. My riding profile similar to OP's, 15-20k per year all year round for 30 odd years so I have been through a fair few suits in that time! The Dane gear I have now is not quite perfect but not far off. Was considering Rukka at time but glad I didn't in the end. You will get all manner of recommendations as is to be expected,but as a currently less well known brand I would suggest Dane worth a look.

There is still a branch of Hein Gericke at Lings of Lowestoft. Their own brand stuff is excellent and good value for money.

I'm not sure any kit is truly 4 season. It is either not well insulated enough for really cold weather or not well vented for 30c + heat

There is still a branch of Hein Gericke at Lings of Lowestoft. Their own brand stuff is excellent and good value for money.

I'm not sure any kit is truly 4 season. It is either not well insulated enough for really cold weather or not well vented for 30c + heat

I'm not au fait with the latest models from HG, but certainly their Cruise and Master V jackets were true all-year jackets.

I would always go for a dark-colour jacket for that duty - the light coloured ones get manky-looking quickly.

In the worst of the rain/reduced viz - I would top it with a waterproof shell in dayglo. Richa do a good one.
Al

Hi Thomas
Bit of a long shot but I will be putting my BMW Savannah Jacket up for sale on here when I get round to it. It is now too small for me (52 BMW,42 English). Very good jacket complete with water proof liner. I had the armour updated to current spec a couple of years ago. Plenty of vents too. It is used condition but 100% sound condition. If you are interested email me your address and I will send you pictures. £40.00 plus postage.
Gordon

I bought a Rukka Chariklo jacket from FCMoto in Germany for under 300 euros, so Rukka can be in your price range. FC Moto & Louis.de often have end of line sales on Rukka gear. I've also bought Rukka trousers for similar money. Goretex and zip out liners. Use the jacket with a Keis electric waistcoat and you have your 4 season jacket which you can layer & de-layer as the weather changes.

Well given my experience with a goretex liner courtesy of a Dainese textile suit (D'Explorer), I have never been so wet after being caught in a downpour (twice) and spent half the night drying out my kit with hairdryers. Now purchased a Richa all in one (slightly oversize) to fit over the textile suit or leathers.

I will never buy any Dainese Goretex product again :blast . That reminds me, I have replacement gloves to pick up as the Dainese Scout gloves leaked like a sieive also (the replacements will be relegated to 'winter scooter gloves' only).

RBW.

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions.

Pete, The Defender Pro looks interesting. Can you PM me some details please.
SeaDog and Wessie, Thanks for your suggestions on were to find discounted Klim gear. I'll check those out also.

Hi Thomas, sent you pm yesterday, let me know if you got it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Klim Traverse jacket gets good recommendations on this forum, just layer underneath it to suit the conditions.

If I was year round riding in the UK then I'd have one with a Keis or Gerbing heated vest for the winter.

The latest version has pockets for armour (not supplied) and good ventilation for the odd hot day in the UK.

Klim Traverse Jacket £385
D30 Armour £100 ish
Keis Heated vest £120

Total £605 ish.

Job's a good'un!! :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom