Reproofing Spray - Product review.

oblertone

Strawberry fields ... forever
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is not something I normall undertake, a product review that is; however, credit where it's due, and this stuff really does work.

With the Belgian fuck-up (reported elsewhere) looming ever closer in the late summer gloom I gave some thought to the water resistant qualities of my current motorcycle clothing; and found some shortcomings.

The jacket is a Rukka something-or-other but does not have a pro-shell bonded waterproof layer, merely a drop liner. As many have found out the outer cordura (?) layer is prone to soak up water leaving the rider chilled through evaporation long after the rain has stopped. Not to mention large puddles of water around wherever you choose to sit.

The trousers are Halvarrsons, again waterproofing supplied virtue of a liner; but these also have a leather crutch which is prone to leakage after a while.

I resigned to bite the bullet and visited a local bike emporium in search of a cheap non-breathable but waterproof jacket to ward off the autumnal showers. Failing to find anything suitable and growing frustrated I explained my dilemma to the hovering assistant who suggested a Reproofing spray.

Now I've always considered such claims as tantamount to snake oil or engine additives, but for a tenner I allowed myself to be taken in and a purchase was made.

Returning home, I followed the instructions which consisted of:

1 - Spray jacket in well ventilated space
2 - Allow to dry naturally
3 - Heat jacket with hair-dryer (I used 30mins in tumble drier)

The result was soon tested as schleping up the A303/M3 from Devon towards Le Tunnel I encountered truly biblical rainfall which left an inch of standing water on the road :eek:

France was dry except for a few minor showers, Belgium was completely avoided, but the M20 on the return journey was another downpour.

However, I remained both warm and dry in my newly reproofed jacket, not only did not a drop of water get through but riding in the dry the jacket seemed to have lost none of its breathability in the process and the former waterlogged outer was a hazy memory.

All in all, an excellent result and I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending the product pictured below :thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 930
Thanks for the review - going to get some and give it a try...:beerjug:

me too just what im looking for:thumby:

OP's jacket still waterproof? Care to update? Interesting product if effective in the mid- long-term.

Yep, still waterproof as tested en-route to Biarritz in June :thumb

I've just nikwaxed my suit. I think I might spray this on over the nikwax. Is it a can per garment?

This probably is not a great advert for nikwax but i want a belt and braces solution to my old skool rukka

I reckon a can would do a suit, although I only did a jacket :nenau

This stuff works very well, and a great review sir. I've used it to re-proof some part textile summer gloves, and also to do some walking boots that my son put through their paces on his Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award expeditions.

I also used it just to test out, on my cycling shoes as it's wet out there, they've held up for a couple of months now on a single treatment, with 20 + miles most Sunday mornings.

It's also worked to a lesser degree on my Aerostitch Ropers, it kept the rain at bay for a few weeks of heavy use, so I'm a believer, just follow the instructions and it does a grand job.

Would this stuff work on my motorcycle boots or do you guys know of something better?

Would this stuff work on my motorcycle boots or do you guys know of something better?

I use Leder Gris leather wax on my Altberg boots and they have been 100% waterproof in over 5 years. So a new pair of boots might also be in order :)

Back
Top Bottom