My Africa Twin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k82VyvTVDsg

7:40.

"Shit, I've smashed the fucking mirror and the handguard".....suck it up treacle thats what happens......

Haha, that was painful to watch.

Was he really sat down for most of those trails, no wonder he's knackered.

My mirrors are coming off !!!

When I was on Simon Pavey's off-road school, I dropped the R1200GS Rallye twice and once crashed into a ditch (where I then had to ride it the entire length to get back out!).... and I was one of the LEAST riders crashing. So you will drop the bike sooner or later, it just happens :augie Everyone on our course crashed or dropped their bike several times. :bounce1

Not trying if you're not crying :eek:

lol :green gri

Attachments

• Karoo1.jpg
    Karoo1.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 265
I also forgot to add to my pannier inventory.

.....a Spare Rear Brake Pedal.

I've seen a couple of Africa Twin lowsides recently on YouTube where the rear brake pedal has been bent completely rearward. Making it unusable unless extreme force is used to try and get it back into a salvage position. Which is extremely difficult even with full body weight on it.

On a DCT model with no clutch, the rear brake pedal is VITAL for any sort of control at low speeds. So not having one would be a nightmare.

So I came across one on eBay for £25 delivered. Snapped that up as a spare, which is also now in my pannier list. :thumb2

Attachments

• Brake Lever.jpg
    Brake Lever.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 215
Pluses and minuses, the r1200GS doesn't go all the way over its sits on its heads but it is a lot heavier than the AT.

I think the weight difference between a GS and this AT is getting smaller as the thread grows. Now are you really sure you have every eventually covered ?

I thought I was bad carrying too much "gear" but you sir make my efforts seem trivial.

On the plus side the bike looks rather good. Much to nice to scratch or get dirty.

I think the weight difference between a GS and this AT is getting smaller as the thread grows. Now are you really sure you have every eventually covered ?

I thought I was bad carrying too much "gear" but you sir make my efforts seem trivial.

On the plus side the bike looks rather good. Much to nice to scratch or get dirty.

Cheers.

Well, with my current inventory, I should be able to....

- Jack bike up onto a secure mount.

- Remove front Calipers, axle and front wheel.
- Remove Valve Stem, remove front tyre and tube.
- Repair or replace tube and refit everything.

- Remove rear caliper, axle and rear wheel.
- Remove Valve Stem, remove rear tyre and tube.
- Repair tube or temporarily fit spare front tube (to limp me home).

- Remove and refit new rear brake lever if necessary.

- Attempt temporary repair of bodywork if crashed.

Bike Protection

So to help minimise crash damage I've fitted

- Barkbuster hand guards so they should keep things in check. No Clutch Lever to worry about (parking brake lever is not essential).

- Full length Skid plate to keep underside protected

- Full crash bar system to protect engine casing and lower fairings

So it'll give it a fair chance.

When I get around to it I'll upgrade the radiator covers (as Honda ones are rubbish), headlight guards and maybe rear luggage racks to protect the rear (if it hasn't been trashed already by that time).

I installed the Rugged Roads lower guards, they are a bit of a pain to install but certainly look like they will provide good protection. That said the bikes at Honda Adventure Wales only have the upper guards and a bark buster style hand guard and besides a few scratches on the cases they seem to have survived well.

I installed the Rugged Roads lower guards, bit of a pain to install but certainly look like they will provide good protection. That said the bikes at Honda Adventure Wales only have the upper guards and a bark buster style hand guard and besides a few scratches on the cases they seem to have survived well.

Probably because the engine cases are being replaced weekly haha.

I was surprised just how many times a day each R1200 GS Rallyes were dropped at BMW ORS. Yet they all still looked ok... covered in mud, so no where near pristine, but all working fine.

None had mirrors on the bike though, that would be very expensive as they're usually the first to smash

The 1200GS do suffer case punctures much more than the ATs hence the liberal use of two pack epoxy putty, I saw three punctured on stones last year when I was there.

I just had a look round for handguards for the AT and plumped for the Hepco & Becker Handguard Honda @ £103 delivered from www.hepco-and-becker-luggage.co.uk as they mount direct to the uprights rather than the bars

e64bacee5f7bf80433dd9efb76b2a94e.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kos1sn_wMf8

I think the weight difference between a GS and this AT is getting smaller as the thread grows. .

I agree, the AT DCT weighs 242kg's stock. The GSA weighs in at 263 KG's but thats with 11 litres more fuel, full crash bars, rear pannier racks, centre stand. Can't be much between a modified AT and a stock GSA (that comes with all the things you have to add to an AT, plus 30 more horsepower and shaft drive)

The above said, my AT feels significantly lighter than my GSA did. Very well balanced. You'll notice it picking it up in a ditch thought :D Especially from laid flat, unlike the GSA that sat on the cylinders.

It won't be laid flat, I'll be under it....

I think my Africa Twin must weigh at least 300kg now its been militarised and weaponised

Back
Top Bottom